Starter issues

acklac7

Jumped the starter last night while it was on the car: got a click.

Took it to advanced had it tested: just clicked (they said it was bad)

Took it to o'reilly's (where I purchased it) directly afterwards they tested it 3 times and told me it was good.

Took it back home and just now jumped it on the bench 3x and it's working fine.

I agree with Dave. In my experience a seized accessory will just burn a belt up, but definitely make sure you can turn the motor over if you haven't already. I'm sure you're getting frustrated with having your starter tested so much, but really if you give it 12v, short it, and it does anything BESIDES slide the gear and turn like hell then it's not working effectively. The clicking means it's engaging, but not turning over. Causes for this are weak battery (everyone has heard that horrible click at some point), locked up motor, as Dave said accessory, or something jammed/lodged/wedged somewhere keeping it from turning. I'd have put a breaker bar on that bitch and cranked her over a couple times to see what's up. And make sure you go the right direction, if it only turns backwards you have a whole new set of issues! Haha.

Ran a jumper cable from the (-) Terminal (which was still grounded to the body) straight to the block: Fired in a split-second..WOOT! :marc:

Unplugged the (jumper) cable: nothing.

Re-attached it: VRROOOOM VROOM!!, turned over in a millisecond.

So, can I just run a new ground wire straight from the battery to the block and be done with it?

Edited by acklac7

^^ Yup.

Ran a new ground "cable" to the block: Starter turned the flywheel but the engine just wouldn't fire.

Ran another cable to the body (along with the one to the block) and it fires instantly.

Problem fucking solved (I hope).

Thanx Guize.