Lens Fungus

Berto

So browsing craigslist there seem to be a lot of lenses for sale with 'fungus'. I don't think I have to worry about it with my camera since its new but I'd like to keep it from being an issue but I tend to be pretty paranoid about my nice things and keeping them nice.

- How often is this lens fungus an issue? Is it really just people that are shooting in the rain or in humid environments?

- Should I be paranoid or this a pretty rare thing and the ads I see are just people selling the crap lenses because they keep their nice ones? lol

I'm sure you heard of keeping something in a "cool dry place". Thats just what to do.

I have shot in moist environments and in poring rain. I also own lenses that have more weather proofing the what the normal enthusiast might own. Whenever I shoot in the rain I alway let my lens and body sit out before putting it back away. Your storage needs to be breathable. Dont buy a leather camera bag.

Its not normally an issue to worry about. It will be a rare occurrence if it happens to you.

So browsing craigslist there seem to be a lot of lenses for sale with 'fungus'. I don't think I have to worry about it with my camera since its new but I'd like to keep it from being an issue but I tend to be pretty paranoid about my nice things and keeping them nice.

- How often is this lens fungus an issue? Is it really just people that are shooting in the rain or in humid environments?

- Should I be paranoid or this a pretty rare thing and the ads I see are just people selling the crap lenses because they keep their nice ones? lol

Consumer lenses are more susceptible since they are not environmentally sealed. However, if the seals are broken it can happen.

I collect silica packets from vitamins, etc and usually toss them on the shelf where I keep my gear and a few in my bags. If the ones for sale are L lenses or high quality ones, it might be worth calling to find out the cost to refub them. My guess is likely $200 to do it.

Consumer lenses are more susceptible since they are not environmentally sealed. However, if the seals are broken it can happen.

I collect silica packets from vitamins, etc and usually toss them on the shelf where I keep my gear and a few in my bags. If the ones for sale are L lenses or high quality ones, it might be worth calling to find out the cost to refub them. My guess is likely $200 to do it.

What do you mean by 'comsumer lens'.

Not really looking to buy now just paranoid. I was reading that the fungus can eventually etch the glass.

What do you mean by 'comsumer lens'.

Not really looking to buy now just paranoid. I was reading that the fungus can eventually etch the glass.

Consumer grade are ones that are not environmentally sealed. Consumer grade examples are typically kits lenses or less costing zooms in the $200-$800 range.

Again, it can happen to the best lenses too if left in damp conditions. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're shooting in damp or wet environments often. As Kevin said, try not to store them in bags that would hold moisture. When I shoot in damp, humid or wet conditions, I let them dry out very good before storing them.