Going to be changing the Camaro, opinions?

Cordell

So lets here some opinions on what you would do with my Camaro given these parameters. It's set up as a reliable street strip car, complete nitrous set-up that is reliable and functioning, 4200 stall converter, built trans, overbuilt 9" rear with a spool, not so agressive cam selection, makes over 550 wheel on spray the way it sits, and the only thing that really bugs me driving it around is the really loose converter.

Here's the deal even if its not really competetive I want to autocross it. Plan is to buy a Vette in a few years, so trying to get competetive with this when a Vette would be faster around an autocross right out of the box is kind of stupid. I just want to be able to do it without looking like a jackass in a drag car.

I have about $2k to spend changing things up, and want it to be more of a good all around car. Automatic stays at least for now, I don't have the money to make a 6 speed as strong as this 4L60 is.

What converter do I put in it? Go smaller close to stock, or something in between?

I kind of like driving with the spool, but I suppose a posi would be better. Ideas? I will say that I will not buy another locker, they suck worse then a spool in my opinion, always ratcheting, pretty unpredictable around corners because you don't know if it will unlock or not.

Suspension mods? Thinking springs, shocks, and sway bars.

and finally don't tell me to read on LS1tech, I know that site pretty well and have read lots of shit over there. I just want you guy's ideas.

Springs, shocks, sways, I presume anything else you would do to a camaro to make it less wobbly...

New wheels/tires with appropriate rubber. That, and have Ben, Sean ect. ride with you and give you pointers. Tons of really good drivers on here that are willing to lend a hand for sure.

Spend your $2K on a beater to autox untill you buy a Vette. There are far too many compromises to make a car dual purpose, especially with a slush box.

More importantly, go to an open lapping day on a real racetrack. If you thought the parking lot stuff was fun, a real track will be more of an automotive orgy.

Just my retarded know-nothing opinion but going through turns at speed in my car seems like throwing the dice if I'll make it facing backwards or forwards. I'm sure yours has something better than stock suspension but still..

all F-body handling jokes are welcome, I already know :(

Spend your $2K on a beater to autox untill you buy a Vette. There are far too many compromises to make a car dual purpose, especially with a slush box.

More importantly, go to an open lapping day on a real racetrack. If you thought the parking lot stuff was fun, a real track will be more of an automotive orgy.

This is exactly what I would do.. find an 80's MR2 or something, hell even a Civic. To me it seems autocrossing doesn't have to be super expensive to have fun (fun is what all this racing shit is about right?)

A Vette? You mind got warped that day!

Anyway, my steering got tighter and more accurate when I put a strut bar on. Nothing fancy. Just the UMI steel bar.

IIRC, you have the rear suspension replaced already? (LCA's, panhard?)

Ditch the DeCarbons for Koni/KYB.

http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbymodel.php?ModelID=7

Also, look up car builds for autocross, see what theyve done for suspension and do research from there.

You point me in the direction of something in that price range that would be as fun as a Camaro or as fast or not just some shit and I'm all for it. I'm not sure what to look at.

Compromises don't really bother me, I just want to "play" with the car more and sitting at a drag strip making a few passes isn't it.

I tell u all the time autox the cobalt...leave the camaro alone uve spent too much time an wayyy too much money to change jit.

Race the cobalt in a stock class to be competitive or buy a not preety car an build it for autox just my 2cents

Just my retarded know-nothing opinion but going through turns at speed in my car seems like throwing the dice if I'll make it facing backwards or forwards. I'm sure yours has something better than stock suspension but still..

all F-body handling jokes are welcome, I already know :(

This is exactly what I would do.. find an 80's MR2 or something, hell even a Civic. To me it seems autocrossing doesn't have to be super expensive to have fun (fun is what all this racing shit is about right?)

You don't have to tell me that these cars leave a lot to be desired handling wise. Thats why for years I've been telling people thats why I drag raced it.

A Vette? You mind got warped that day!

Anyway, my steering got tighter and more accurate when I put a strut bar on. Nothing fancy. Just the UMI steel bar.

IIRC, you have the rear suspension replaced already? (LCA's, panhard?)

Ditch the DeCarbons for Koni/KYB.

http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbymodel.php?ModelID=7

Also, look up car builds for autocross, see what theyve done for suspension and do research from there.

Yes all the rear suspension links, torque arm, LCAs, panhard, have been upgraded to BMR adjustable stock replacement.

I really like what I hear about Koni's until I look at the price but it seems you get what you pay for. Not sure out of KYBs, Bilsteins, or Tokico which would be better, plus my car has more weight then a stock Camaro with teh iron block up front and a 9" in the rear. I think at least in the rear because of all the increased unsprung weight I'd want soemthing other then a cookie cutter system. I think when I have this cash in hand next week I'll be calling Sam Strano.

Oh yeah I looked into autocrossing my SVX once and it would have been in some weird super modded class just because I had slotted rotors and ss brake lines.. Check out the class you wanna run in and build accordingly. Not that I'm an autocross master, but yeah racing with something as close to stock as possible is what I would do. A Cobalt would be fun.. not really fast enough to break it.

I agree with spending the money on a separate auto-x beater. You're Camaro has been set up specifically to run the drag strip, and you only intend to auto-x it long enough to hold you off until you get a vette (good choice lol), so why make it so-so at each rather than leave it as a great straight line car? Buying a cheap car with the Camaro mod money would still just be getting you seat time and filling in the gap until the vette, but the Camaro will still be ready to hop in and haul ass at will.

As for suggestions, if you're not too proud for them, 1gn Neons make killer auto-x cars and fit well within that budget. An ACR model would be best (basically a stripper model with adjustable Koni shock and beefy suspension), but an R/T model would be great as well. There's a red R/T coupe on Columbus Craigslist right now for $1700. Depending on what class you'd want to run, it wouldn't take much more than a set of tires to make it a fun car well capable of handling the abuse. If you search hard enough, a 5.0 foxbody could be bought for close to that budget, although I'm sure it'd need some work before throwing it around the course.

You point me in the direction of something in that price range that would be as fun as a Camaro or as fast or not just some shit and I'm all for it. I'm not sure what to look at.

Compromises don't really bother me, I just want to "play" with the car more and sitting at a drag strip making a few passes isn't it.

Already a few cheap cars with potential mentioned. A few more, 1st and 2nd gen RX7, early Honda Civic or Del Sol, even early Miatas are getting down in that price range.

If you want to just have fun, that can be done in anything. If you want to learn to go fast, start in a slow car with a proper transmission. An automatic with a lot of horsepower will only teach bad habits and hinder driver development.

Automatic stays at least for now

:(

If you're keeping it auto, honestly I'd just leave it how it is. If you're looking at a vette or something soon, I wouldn't spend a lot of time and money switching everything up after you got it to where it is

:(

If you're keeping it auto, honestly I'd just leave it how it is. If you're looking at a vette or something soon, I wouldn't spend a lot of time and money switching everything up after you got it to where it is

A year ago I would have agreed with you, but I'm tired of it the way it is. I'm thinking that making it a little more well rounded would make it more fun all the time.

I say stick with the Camaro. Go with a lower stall on your torque converter, or just go ahead and do the 6 speed swap. A set of decent tires and maybe some good shocks would be a nice start too. What helps the most at autocross, in my opinion, is seat time. Hope to see you out there.

You point me in the direction of something in that price range that would be as fun as a Camaro or as fast or not just some shit and I'm all for it. .

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94142

He is down to $450 on on the rolling chassis if I read correctly.. get ur self a junk yard. Truck moto/trannyr that u always talk about getting cheap and a mounting kit for a ls1 an walal dam good track car...

Edit check page 3 of that thread for the updated prices