Suggest an AWD/4WD Winter/DD for me

Bark

Im trying to figure out what type of vehicle to get for a winter beater/ daily driver. The things that Im looking for (in order of importance) are:

4WD/AWD obviously

Hatch/wagon/bed (large cargo space)

Reliability

Manual Transmission

Snowy rural road/dirt road capability

25 mpg

Fun to drive aspect

Looking to spend $8K or less

I want a large cargo area to fit stuff. Most trunks don't have the clearance I need. Id like to get something that is fun to drive but reliability is more important. The ability to tow a small trailer or even my supra would be nice.

Im looking into 02-04 wrx wagons but Ive never driven a subie and not sold on their reliability and snow performance. For around the same price I can get a Ford Ranger but being in the used car business Ive seen alot of trashed/problematic rangers. I also have been looking at Jeep Cherokee's (NOT GRAND CHEROKEEs) but almost all are automatics and pricy for the given year.

What would you guys suggest for me given my wants and needs?

Maybe a Subaru Outback? Can some of the subby people chime in on this? I think they have more ground clearance, more suspension travel than their regular cars (Impreza/WRX/Legacy).

This slot might be filled by the Forester now.

Like I said, hopefully one of the Subby nuts can chime in.

Maybe a Subaru Outback? Can some of the subby people chime in on this? I think they have more ground clearance, more suspension travel than their regular cars (Impreza/WRX/Legacy).

This slot might be filled by the Forester now.

Like I said, hopefully one of the Subby nuts can chime in.

yeah, what about the older body styled foresters? they are taller than the outback so you could probably fit more stuff in the back

I drove my parents forrester7hrs each way to and from salt lake city ut to vail co in December through the wasatch and rockie mtn ranges during an absolutly dumping snow storm that vielded 36" of POW in vail. It does just fine in the snow. On 70 once the snow quit momentairly I was cruising at 100 with no effort, its a decently smooth ride, good clearance, ample room for adults in the back seats, more space than the wrx and avg 23mpg over the entire trip. And you'll probably attract lesbians, whom could possibly be hot.

I've got a wrx, lowered with snow tires, I've gone through 17 inches of unplowed snow and didn't get stuck. I kept moving and I'd bet if you stopped you'd be fucked though.

If your looking at older forester or wagons. The head gaskets as mentioned may need replaced. Older ones with higher miles sometimes the pipe from the gas tank to gas cap can rust through causing problems. But other than that check the normal car stuff out. With proper maintenance they'll last forever. Even if you have to replace a motor or trans you can find used ones out of salvaged vehicles for surprisingly cheap.

I'm on my second Subaru and only because I updates by 10 years to another Legacy. I love them. This Legacy is my favorite car, and yes, more than my RX7. The clearance is fine and I have pulled several pepole out that were stuck with my "little 4 banger". They are shocked and I love it. After 5 years of telling my dad to get a a Subaru, he picked up an Outback a month ago. He lives in Vermont. They get a little bit of snow, if you know what I mean. I drive mine up there several times a year and at least 3 times every winter. It's 760 miles one way, I've never had an issue in my Subaru. That's why my plate reads "dsnowgod".

I've never had an issue in my Subaru. That's why my plate reads "dsnowgod".

This is no joke. Once he got snow tires on his old Legacy, I think the winter before last, he was running around doing AWD launches from lights in the snow with little to no wheel spin. :fuckyeah:

As far as rural roads stick wig an outback or Forrester.a Subie would seem to fit the bill of all your needs.

FYI, my previous outback(1997) had 289k on it when We sold it, and the current owner just posted a pick of it's 300k rollover pic for u's this week.

Well taken care of will last ya forever.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/dig-racing-in-the-snow-6-wide-truck-cant-slow-d_98601.htm

Can't see my Leagacy that well with the huge snow, but it's up front with a 4x4 truck w/ a plow and 1500lbs of salt.

As for MPG, in my 2.5 N/A GT, I was getting 30 mpg on the highway and 24ish in the city.

With my 2.5 T, I get 24-26 mpg on the high way nad 18-21 in town. and it's lightly modded.

My work here is done. :fuckyeah:

J/K. Subarus are great in the snow. Another option would be a Turbo Baja if you want a bit more utility/cargo area.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=71434490&listingRecNum=1&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26mkId%3D20041%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D20690%26rd%3D250%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-transTypeId%26zc%3D43221%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26transTypeId%3D28112%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national

They're hard to find, and even harder trying to find one with a stick, but they're out there. Ugly as sin too, but I love 'em.

The only downside to a Subaru is that you're pretty much limited to a class I or II hitch. Good for power toys, but not for towing your Supra.

honestly, my subaru sits in the garage all winter and i drive my jeep. I didn't even put the snow tires on the subie last winter. the Jeep just does to well in the snow, and kicks it's butt in ground clearance. Get one with the NV242 transfer case so you can do a full time 4wd. i have driven it through over 2 feet of snow with no issues. You will never get close to your 25 mpg though. I have the Grand and i get around 14 in the winter. Btw the jeep is stock, with some crappy all seasons on it.

As far as rural roads stick wig an outback or Forrester.a Subie would seem to fit the bill of all your needs.

FYI, my previous outback(1997) had 289k on it when We sold it, and the current owner just posted a pick of it's 300k rollover pic for u's this week.

Well taken care of will last ya forever.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7e7ayQDAt1qahhxwo1_400.gif