Sports cards...

V8 Beast

So Im in the basement and find a shoe box filled with old cards. It funny how times change. I have a bunch of losers in hard plastic cases and things like Brett Favres rookie card in the general population :lol: I also found a Barry Sanders and Emmit Smith rookie along with baseball cards from 1986. Maybe in 20 more years they will be worth a lot. Oh the memories :masturboy: Edited by V8 Beast

So Im in the basement and find a shoe box filled with old cards. It funny how times change. I have a bunch of losers in hard plastic cases and things like Brett Favres rookie card in the general population :lol: I also found a Barry Sanders and Emmit Smith rookie along with baseball cards from 1986. Maybe in 20 more years they will be worth a lot. Oh the memories :masturboy:

funny you mention this, I was going through all my old football cards too, but I had my good cards in plastic sleeves, most of my stuff is from the mid-late 70's to late 90's

I've got the entire 1990 set of topps baseball cards.. call of duty and halo has made that shit worth less than the cardboard papery stuff it's printed on.

this ^^ and Ebay is what killed the market, well that and back when we were kids a pack of cards cost $0.50 and you got 10-12 cards per pack, cards today cost $3.00-5.00 a pack and you get 3-4 cards per pack. I watched my nephew buy a pack of cards and of the 3 cards 2 were the same card

I still collect sports cards. I have a rather large and expensive Blue Jackets collection. Cards are still worth a lot today, as long as they aren't from 82-97ish. The years inbetween there don't have a lot of cards worth very much money, there are exceptions on some though.

Vintage, pre 1970 still has a very big market and cards still have good value and the cards from the last decade still have good value. The problem with cards of this generation is they are expensive to buy. No longer can you go to the store and get a pack of cards for a dollar or two. There are packs of cards that range from $3.99 to $425.00 per pack, that's 5-8 cards.

Just a couple of my favorite that I own so you get an idea. The 1/1 shields sell from, depending on player, $300 to $30,000.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/irockacorolla/Cards/PC/Kris%20Russell/206Russell1.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/irockacorolla/Cards/PC/Kris%20Russell/DSJRRussell1.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/irockacorolla/Cards/PC/Vintage/Hull6768.jpg

I litterally have damn near 1 million cards. Anyone that knows me on here has seen my collection and its insane. I was lucky enough to have 2 uncles and my dad pass them down to me plus a neighbor guy when I was young gave me his entire collection. I used to collect but havent bought a pack of cards in forever. Funny this thread gets made because I have been going through my cards and putting them all in protective sheets. I would like to get back into collecting once my son is older so we have a hobby to do together.

I remember being about 12 years old, maybe 13 when McGwire and Sosa were on their run with homeruns. I had over 200 rookie cards (still do) of them and at the time they were going for 100-500 a piece, my dad tried getting me to sell them but I was like "nah these will be worth so much in 20 years" boy was I wrong as they are now worth $1-$5 a piece lol.

The problem with 80s and 90s cards is simple supply and demand...when there are 20-25 MILLION copies of each card printed, they aren't exactly scarce. Even quote-unquote Limited Editions had runs of over a million. Then throw in run-away licensing, the '94 MLB strike, and the steroid scandals...when the baseball card market collapsed, all the others went too.

I have close to 500 cards. Mostly Reds cards. Have some neat cards, doubt they're worth much. I do know I have Barry Bonds rookie card and Roger Clemons rookie card. Outside of cards I have quite a bit of signed Reds memorabilia. My favorite piece I have, is Danny Graves warm up ball from his 35th save of the 2000 season, have it signed by him, also have his 2000 season card.

The problem with 80s and 90s cards is simple supply and demand...when there are 20-25 MILLION copies of each card printed, they aren't exactly scarce. Even quote-unquote Limited Editions had runs of over a million. Then throw in run-away licensing, the '94 MLB strike, and the steroid scandals...when the baseball card market collapsed, all the others went too.

Not only that there were about 20 different companies jumping into the game. It made it impossible for somebody to collect certain teams,players,collections,etc. It was no longer fun.

the 90's ruined a lot with the over printing of everything not just sports cards but comic books too, those also took a HUGE nose dive, then came the internet, if you ever went to a card/comic show before the internet period certain cards/comics were rare and very hard to find, now with the internet here you can find anything anywhere, as stated above massive over prints, other company's getting into the market, its not fun anymore

I have close to 30,000 cards from 88-92 when I collected. Have some old mantles,Maris,Ryan, etc too. Have a Jordan fleer rookie and quite a bit of autographs. Might sell somoe one day but for now, they are boxed up or the nice cards are in hard sleeves

I have 3 of the store display cases for jordans rookie year. They are just as the came from the manufacturer and when opened, turn into the display itself and then the boxes inside stacked up, are opened and individual packs are sold from them. At one time they were guaranteeing at least 3 rookie cards in each display box. I will never open them to find out. Still have several thousand randoms. I collected every Bo Jackson card I could find. I really thought he was going to be the biggest thing since sliced bread.