Anyone ever "speed up" a powerwheel?

Putty

My daughter has a little quad that's the perfect side for her, but she's to the point it's too slow. Can you easily boost the speed on them? It's a one speed job. Not one where you can remove the screw and get about 2 more mph.

moar volts. add another battery.

More volts or more amps? Because that would change how you hook up a second battery, series or parallel. Series would give you more volts, but I'm not sure the switches and such wouldn't melt. Interesting topic.

i used to lurk quite a bit on the modified power wheels website--i'm waiting to mod our barbie jeep and get my boy a bigger powerwheels. right now, my boy rides a standard 6 volt buzz lightyear (small power wheels), and my girls have a dora jeep, barbie mustang, and princess toyota SUV. the only modded one i have right now is the 6volt pink one in the videos linked below. its now 12 volts. all the other bigger ones which are 12 volts will be converted to 24 volts next summer when my kids are ready for the extra power. tons of information on the modified website/forum. its easy to spend way too much time modding these things when your kids don't even have enough patience to wait 3 hours for the damn thing to finish charging.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75000&highlight=modified+power+wheels

The stock battery is 6volts, so if you can do 9 volts that will be a little faster. Or you can get a small motorcycle battery that's 12volts, rework the wiring and it'll be fast. You have to run after it if you go 12 volts.

you need a completely enclosed battery--you can get 12 volt enclosed batteries (just like the power wheels ones) on ebay for $20, instead of paying $50 for an official power wheels brand battery. you don't want to use any other batter for the risk of acid leaking out all over your kid. just add a 30 amp inline fuse, and you're good to go. of course you'll need a 12 volt charger--i just use a regular car battery charger

I think I may do a motorcycle battery. How would you charge it?

see the post above yours--motorcycle battery may leak acid if the car flips or rolls over, etc. you need an enclosed battery. not worth the risk of acid burning your kid, and the 12 volt batteries can be had for $20. i charge mine with a car charger that plugs into the wall--takes a couple hours.

if you're on carpet (the 6 volt cars can be driven indoors) and the car gets traction, you will do a wheelie.

Edited by kirks5oh

More volts or more amps? Because that would change how you hook up a second battery, series or parallel. Series would give you more volts, but I'm not sure the switches and such wouldn't melt. Interesting topic.

volts=speed

amps=longevity

Just strap a small (50cc) generator on there, one that has a 12vdc output, along with a small 12v battery to hopefully smooth out the current.