Property tax reappraisal

LJ

BRB.. Putting my trans am on bricks in my front yard next to 3 rusty bikes and a broke down riding lawn mower. If im losing value Im going to make it worth it dammit!

P.S. does anyone have a bird bath, a few old tires, and a pink flamingo I can use?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His did, mine is being singled out for some reason.

it's gone up about 16K since I've bought it and they want to tack on another 12.5K again. WTF.JPG

I'm the only person who they haven't lowered....angry.jpg

You got to fight it. You will be paying over $4000/year in taxes otherwise. Reynoldsburg's tax rate is insane, and you get nothing to show for it. Mismanagement of funds at its finest.

got mine in the mail today

i live on the westside, NOTHING goes up in value over here!

however, my reappraisal says my property GAINED 33%! FUCK THAT!

we did have a total loss house fire last year. it was rebuilt, but nothing around me is gonna be remotely close to that increase. if i decided to sell we would be asking damn near 50% more than any of the houses around us, and that would never sell. gotta fight it!

My house was $180 7 years ago, now its worth $148 as of today.. Remember the days when houses where an investment? We just threw away 30k plus interest. :fuuuu:

Note: I know its still an investment.. at least it is for some of you.

You're home is worth what someone is willing to pay for it not what the auditor values it at. He's not buying it. It's just an assessed value for tax purposes. Don't feel too down in the dumps. Just watch the comps in the area. Right now it's supply and demand with the economy in terms of jobs not helping us.

Investment wise, I never considered our home an investment. I don't think it ever was for most of us. Not if you had a mortgage and paid all that interest. You're losing every month. A house and it's payment is really more about a lifestyle. We have good friends who bought in Tartan Fields, and it's a magnificent home. They put down a ton of money, but then they also have a mortgage that's 3x what ours was. We could do that, but instead, I'd much rather bank all that interest vs paying it to live there.

Now my parents who have never had a mortgage on the house they are in, they still had a cost associated with living their, but they never got stuck with interest payments.

We got ours yesterday. Down from what it was a few years ago, but still worth a lot more than we paid and since we are all but paid off, I really don't care. To me the house is nothing but a huge pile of dollar bills that we live in and call a home and that will just change from this home to another at some point in the future. The people that are fucked are the ones that aren't just assessed at lower than they paid, but truly have homes valued at more than they paid or worse yet, less than what they owe. IE....borrowed from their one time touted home equity. Ouch! Dumb too. My wife meets with them daily.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/08/21/have-any-questions-about-reappraisals.html

FYI

Clarence is a really good guy. He was in my old office building before he was appointed Auditor a few years ago and is very sincere in wanting to help people. I highly suggest that if you have any concerns with your tax value that you go to one of the community meetings that they will be having over the next month or so.

Mine managed to go up over 14% - almost $30K. Looking at comps in the area that sold in the last couple of years, everything "legitimate" is at approx. $100 a sqare foot. Mine is at $116 a square foot. I guess I'm off to the meetings (again). I had to petition to get my taxes reduced when I bought the house. I just got the new assesment before the crash so I didn't really expect a reduction, I could even see a $2K-$4K increase but $30K - not a chance, there is nothing selling in the area that supports this.

I got mine and I will be attending one of the meetings listed. I had my house professionally appraised and sent it in with my papers last year. Their value is 10k more than my appraisal.

How do you figure out what the savings a year is?

You're home is worth what someone is willing to pay for it not what the auditor values it at. He's not buying it. It's just an assessed value for tax purposes. Don't feel too down in the dumps. Just watch the comps in the area. Right now it's supply and demand with the economy in terms of jobs not helping us.

Investment wise, I never considered our home an investment. I don't think it ever was for most of us. Not if you had a mortgage and paid all that interest. You're losing every month. A house and it's payment is really more about a lifestyle. We have good friends who bought in Tartan Fields, and it's a magnificent home. They put down a ton of money, but then they also have a mortgage that's 3x what ours was. We could do that, but instead, I'd much rather bank all that interest vs paying it to live there.

Now my parents who have never had a mortgage on the house they are in, they still had a cost associated with living their, but they never got stuck with interest payments.

We got ours yesterday. Down from what it was a few years ago, but still worth a lot more than we paid and since we are all but paid off, I really don't care. To me the house is nothing but a huge pile of dollar bills that we live in and call a home and that will just change from this home to another at some point in the future. The people that are fucked are the ones that aren't just assessed at lower than they paid, but truly have homes valued at more than they paid or worse yet, less than what they owe. IE....borrowed from their one time touted home equity. Ouch! Dumb too. My wife meets with them daily.

Thank you sir for injecting some logic into this thread. A lower tax assessment is good all the way around. If anything a prospective buyer may LIKE the fact that it has a nice low tax assessment. In the meantime you will be paying less....every month. It has ZERO to do with asking/selling prices on homes.

Houses you actually live in for any period of time are not invesments except in extreme cases and that is just pure luck. People who say they "made money" on their house usually are overlooking everything they poured into it in both time and actual cash. We boaters figured that out years ago.

In my case I haven't had a re-assessment but my lovely neighbors voted in the Big Walnut slush fund tax levy and I just got a notice in the mail saying my escrow will be short and they have to raise my payment to the tune of $400 a month going forward. Big Walnut also has a school district income tax on top of our property taxes. So, it is getting out of control out here.

While we are on this topic...I was just named the Delaware County Development Coordinator for the Libertarian Party of Ohio. If you are reading this thread, yearning for a more efficient government and personal freedom and want to get involved...PM me. Doesn't matter where you live. If you are outside of Delaware I'll get you hooked up with my fellow Libs in your area. The insanity has to stop.

BRB.. Putting my trans am on bricks in my front yard next to 3 rusty bikes and a broke down riding lawn mower. If im losing value Im going to make it worth it dammit!

P.S. does anyone have a bird bath, a few old tires, and a pink flamingo I can use?

Oh yeah...if you are serious...I have some crap you can sit around. An old Snapper might just do the trick. And for some reason there is a concrete deer with a missing antler and rebar for a tail in our woods...yours if you want it. :)

Also...here's a good tip I learned...opt for a patio over a deck unless you want your assessment to go up. In a strange suspension of logic they consider a patio a temporary structure and a deck a permanent one.

Franklin County Auditor's page - it is public record.

Looks like Delaware county will be doing theirs next month.

hmm looks like im an idiot and cant figure out the values any onie got a second to give a help out lol preserve crossing at lifestyle condos street is marsh wren

Called the office, told her i just went through disputing the value down last year...she said to take my appraisals and closing sheet to one of the locations they have listed and they will go over it then...believe im gonna fight a $40/mo increase

I paid 160 for mine 5 years ago and it was appraising at 180. We thought we were getting a hell of a deal. Then last year my neighbors across the street did a short sale on their house for 112k and the house next to me burned down. Now its valued at 140k. We cant even switch insurance companies because of the new value let alone sell the damned thing. So pissssed GREAT FKING INVESTMENT.
  • Downvote 1

Oh yeah...if you are serious...I have some crap you can sit around. An old Snapper might just do the trick. And for some reason there is a concrete deer with a missing antler and rebar for a tail in our woods...yours if you want it. :)

Also...here's a good tip I learned...opt for a patio over a deck unless you want your assessment to go up. In a strange suspension of logic they consider a patio a temporary structure and a deck a permanent one.

Im playing.. I live in a great neighborhood and home :)