1999 F250 V10 blew a plug

harmonda

Hey guys...blew a plug yesterday in my V10. It is right up front. I looked online and Time-Sert, Helicoil, Calvan, etc. kits to repair this are all pretty expensive. Anyone have one of these I can borrow? I'll order inserts to restock the kit. It has to be M14x1.25 for spark plugs set in a deep hole or at least have a 3/8 or 1/2 socket fitting so I can get an extention on it. The cheapie kit with a rubber coated handle I see for sale everywhere will not work on this. Thanks in advance. Looking to do the repair some night next week.

like 140k miles so far. I changed all plugs and coils a while back. I followed all torque specs and did it with the engine cold as advised. I guess these just go. It's a poor design. I haven't looked at it closely with a light yet to see how much it took with the plug. Hoping there is enough material there to repair. Going to call Rocky's guy and talk about it.

very common issue with these, doesnt matter how many miles... if they dont blow out, they take the threads out with them when you change them.

Some are not savable..

I may be picking up a V10 soon.

Do you advise pulling them out, and say applying a LIBERAL coat of anti-seize, and install an a lower TRQ value? Or, leave it be and PRAY. :no:

They will all eventually blow out.. Doesnt matter if you replaced them, or left them in for 100k miles...

They are even worse to get out when they are older, because the plug blows in half, leaving the threaded part in.. and when you remove that the threads come out..

Ive also seen some of them blow out so bad that the hole is very hard to fix... Ive seen some people remove the heads and do it on a bench for back plugs..

Hopefully you get in touch with my guy from work.. We work on toyotas, but hes a ford guy.. And has done a lot of these..

So, your saying every Triton motor, even has had or will have their plugs blow out?

Call me crazy, but that sounds a bit far fetched

Sorry I didnt mean all year triton motors, or all plugs.. I was thinking of something else, I meant you can leave them in or change them... Like the Original poster, he just replaced them not too long ago.. And had one blow out.

So for better MPG I would personally just replace them when you buy the truck.. And fix the plug holes when they strip out..

I had a friends 2004 f150 that didnt blow out, but when I went to do his tune up none of them wanted to come out.. Luckily he was wanting to trade it in, so he got rid of it..

Sorry I didnt mean all year triton motors, or all plugs.. I was thinking of something else, I meant you can leave them in or change them... Like the Original poster, he just replaced them not too long ago.. And had one blow out.

So for better MPG I would personally just replace them when you buy the truck.. And fix the plug holes when they strip out..

I had a friends 2004 f150 that didnt blow out, but when I went to do his tune up none of them wanted to come out.. Luckily he was wanting to trade it in, so he got rid of it..

like already stated, 2002 and up heads have 10 thread heads, some 2002 / and before all had 4 thread heads.

time sert kit is the only way to fix it correctly

like already stated, 2002 and up heads have 10 thread heads, some 2002 / and before all had 4 thread heads.

time sert kit is the only way to fix it correctly

Ok, but what I am asking is should this be done as a preventative maintenance, or IF its an issue, fix it then?

And 4 threads? Really? What was ford thinking!?

Ya, totally a design issue. It's not like there isn't PLENTY of room there for more threads. Rocky's buddy is going to come out next week. I think I got lucky that it is an easy one to do and not one of the 4 rear-most plugs. I just don't want to have to buy a repair kit. The cheapies aren't up to the task. I really want a solid insert. I'll put out an update on what we run into once it is done.

Well, My theory is that the aluminum is a junk casting, plus the lack of threads, in my mind would be aided my the plug being UNDER torqued. The higher the trq value, the more you stretch and stress the thread.

Obviously, this is all relevant to how stressed that thread already was before you got there. It seems one idiot doing a tune up can botch this all up.

Painless. One thing he mentioned was that heavy carbon build up can increase the compression and lead to a plug blowing. I hadn't ever heard of that before. I ran a bottle of lucas fuel system cleaner through it for good measure. He said the stuff shops use is a lot better so maybe that is in my future too. I have a compression tester so I'll check it against specs when I get some free time. In the meantime the old pick em up truck is back in business.

In my expirences aluminum threads in general pull pretty easy (used to be a maintenance guy, repaired countless threads lol) however adding a helicoil to aluminum makes it much stronger, a machinist I used to work for used to helicoil any aluminum threads in anything he made, he wouldn't have to do it later that way.