'01 Sonoma Fuel Pump

Archie

My fuel pump in my 2001 Sonoma started to crap out on me so I replaced it (full pump, sending unit, assembly)... The pump will turn on and prime but it won't start. I hit the bleed valve on the fuel rail and fuel came out (it poured out a little definitely didn't spray out). Is there anything I need to do as far as bleeding the lines? The truck ran good before I put the new pump in and it seems like everything hooked up correctly.

Sounds like a restriction, did you replace the fuel filter? I have seen pumps fail and come apart clogging the filter.

I had to bang on the tank every now and then to get it started. This attempt was to replace the pump before it stranded me somewhere, I don't think the filter got clogged but I could check. The only other thing I could think of is that I got a shitty pump - which doesnt really make sense because you can hear the pump prime and it sounds good.

Where did you get the pump from?

+1 If it ran before you put the new pump in, all be it hitting the tank, then something is wrong with the new one or something got knocked loose in the tank. A fuel pressure gauge needs to be hooked up at this point.

no pressure at the fuel rail... It's gotta be the new pump then - I got it at NAPA, the tank looked clean when I installed the new one. Where would it be "hitting" in the tank? I guess I could pull it out and check that.

I meant when you had to hit the tank before you put in the new pump. Sorry that didn't come across very well.

Some of those sending units had a little pulse damper thing that was easily torn when putting a new pump in, that would cause your issue but I'm not sure if you have one. Like Rocky said you can check for pressure before the filter, but it sounds like something in the tank.

Lol, never would have thought about the polarity. Did it really spin backwards?

The POS universal wiring didn't match up right, so it was was blowing instead of sucking and pumping. I only figured because I heard a weird as noise and no fuel was going into the lines. Thank got I was an Electrical Engineering student at one time lol