Now own a 302 Block: Need Learned

Rhett

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so called a few machine shops some listed above. I have been quoted $400-$475 to have it Cleaned, Bored .030 over and honed and brass freeze plugs.

Does this sound about right?

ill bite. sounds about right. i would have them inspect the block too for cracks, etc before you sink a ton of money into it.

correct me if im wrong, but doesnt napa do machine work?

ill bite. sounds about right. i would have them inspect the block too for cracks, etc before you sink a ton of money into it.

correct me if im wrong, but doesnt napa do machine work?

One of them does.

From the stand point of a Mustang guy, your wasting your time.

One of them does.

i think he gets the point. hes been told several times that this isnt the way to go.

for the $50 for block, $450 in machine work, hes $500 in and doesn't even have any top end or bottom end parts. again, i woulda got a 347 assembled shortblock to start with.

i think he gets the point. hes been told several times that this isnt the way to go.

for the $50 for block, $450 in machine work, hes $500 in and doesn't even have any top end or bottom end parts. again, i woulda got a 347 assembled shortblock to start with.

those aren't cheap and if they are its a factory casting block. He is already talking about power past the stock roller casting can take and we all know a build never ends up being what we start with.

Why?

Where can I get built 347, forged interanls... that will be able to handle into the 500-HP range? I have found several 347 Crate Motors for $3,500-$13,500 range. To have my Block Cleaned, Bored, Honed and forged 347 stroker kit put in Ill have less than $2000 there.

I know I still will have heads, cam, manifold, carb to go + the bits and pieces.

But I am fine with having $5000 in this motor and it being what I want it to do.

I could go buy a whole car for $5k and still have to do most of the said work any way.

Why?

Where can I get built 347, forged interanls... that will be able to handle into the 500-HP range? I have found several 347 Crate Motors for $3,500-$13,500 range. To have my Block Cleaned, Bored, Honed and forged 347 stroker kit put in Ill have less than $2000 there.

I know I still will have heads, cam, manifold, carb to go + the bits and pieces.

But I am fine with having $5000 in this motor and it being what I want it to do.

I could go buy a whole car for $5k and still have to do most of the said work any way.

Cause its going to break and then all that money is out the door, including the heads.

I dunno, I think getting into an engine build is the best way to learn all about it.

It's certainly the most expensive way also, as everyone in this thread has mentioned. If he's down for the cost in exchange for the education, why not?

Here is a brand new 331 stoker, never fired, forged everything, girdle, windage tray, cam, timing chain, ready for boost or nitrous. You can probably get it for less than $2000.

http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75161

Here is a set of AFR 185's you can probably have for less than $1000.

http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75326

OR, just get a stock 302 and boost or spray the fuck out of it. You can put a set of nice heads and a nice cam on a stock 302, intake, carb and a 150-200 shot and be at about 450 RWHP for less than $2000.

Here is a brand new 331 stoker, never fired, forged everything, girdle, windage tray, cam, timing chain, ready for boost or nitrous. You can probably get it for less than $2000.

http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75161

Here is a set of AFR 185's you can probably have for less than $1000.

http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75326

OR, just get a stock 302 and boost the fuck out of it.

I just cant fathom dropping that kind of coin on a block that will be kept together by a $500 girdle after it splits.

Building a engine for learning purposes is fine but why not build a engine that will make power reliably AND not be maxed out as soon as it is assembled. Also a nicely built 393/408/427 demands a better resale cost than a baby 347 does

Hence why I said buy a 351 block

Building a engine for learning purposes is fine but why not build a engine that will make power reliably AND not be maxed out as soon as it is assembled. Also a nicely built 393/408/427 demands a better resale cost than a baby 347 does

Agreed.

I just cant fathom dropping that kind of coin on a block that will be kept together by a $500 girdle after it splits.

The girdle is there to keep the parts together so you don't mess up the heads/intake, if/when the block splits. Does it help the strength of the block? Maybe a little, but there are plenty of girdled blocks that have split. I think if he keeps it at 450-500 hp under 6000 RPM he should be fine. But yet again it is only a 2 bolt block. IF he wants to take the risk. I would do a stock 302, refresh it a little bit, good set of heads, cam, intake, carb, spray and call it a day, and have some fun while you are building a 4 bolt block or a 351.

The girdle is there to keep the parts together so you don't mess up the heads/intake, if/when the block splits. Does it help the strength of the block? Maybe a little, but there are plenty of girdled blocks that have split. I think if he keeps it at 450-500 hp under 6000 RPM he should be fine. But yet again it is only a 2 bolt block. IF he wants to take the risk. I would do a stock 302, refresh it a little bit, good set of heads, cam, intake, carb, spray and call it a day, and have some fun while you are building a 4 bolt block or a 351.

You or I could keep the HP and revs down because we have been there with a stock block 302 before, however the way Rhett is talking that thing will have split the first week in.

I have some ocean front property in Ohio I can sell you!

Seriously.......you bought a block with out main caps??? WTF.........as common and plentiful as 302's are you need to find one with the factory main caps to start with. You really should not mix main caps unless you are ready to spend some money with the machine shop for align bore. Never buy a block with out the mains

For the same amount of money you can start with a 351 block and have a lot stroger foundation.

At the rate your going, 5 years from now you will still be the most broke dick on CR