2005 GTO help, looking at a car

Aaron

Hey guys,

This 05 GTO popped up locally. It appears to have intake, exhaust and no stock covers on the engine.

Anyone see anything else worth noting?

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?ct=u&address=43081&resultCar=307172769&dealership_view_name=jackmaxtonimports&car_id=307172769&dealer_id=100011306

Thanks.

Yeah, back in 04-06 they weren't bad, now they look super dated. This one was also rough. 2 different colored headlights and the hood fender seams didn't match up, must have been in an accident, interior trim peeling, mods etc.

funny, I looked at one at Maxton that was very similar to your description, but was an 04. Def was repaired fairly heavily at one time. Now I see it showing up at meets and I lol.

funny, I looked at one at Maxton that was very similar to your description, but was an 04. Def was repaired fairly heavily at one time. Now I see it showing up at meets and I lol.

Nice.

Yeah, I walked around, and all of their cars were rough. They had some nice models, but each example was less than stellar.

I absolutely love my 06. I have had tons of Camaro's and other late model cars and it is one of the most comfortable cars I have driven. Performance numbers for the car when new were 0-60 in 4.6 to 4.8 seconds and I can tell you that they can hang with a new SS Camaro pretty easily. Its a fun car for sure!!

Not sure what people are talking about with money, stay away from the 04's if you are worred about money but the 05-06 in nice shape not beat on are still pulling in upwards of 18-19K..A year or so ago they were dropping in price a little, but prices are coming back up and most likely for the nice lower mileage cars will at least stay steady for a while before htey begin to climb...

Styling will always be objective, but I personally really like the looks and get compliments all the time when I have it out (although not very much as it only has 7K miles).

The red one you are talking about looks pretty modified. You would just have to drive it and see if it has been "beat" on. I would decide on a color combination you want and hold out for that. While they really didnt make very many of them, a little research will turn up what you want. I would hold out for a nice stock example as it is more likely to be less beat on and modify as you see fit. Looks like Maxton also has a yellow one (its on ebay). I would say around 16K would be a decent price for that with the miles..

i just sold an immaculate '05 manual GTO with 27k miles to the stealership for $15k, to get my caddy. it was a great car for sure---incredible daily driver and highway cruiser. i could pull 27mpg on the freeway. now, i average 15mpg at most on the freeway.

That red one looks pretty sketch, imo. I can tell you that I am absolutely loving my 04 model (42K miles), and it really is one of the best cars I have ever owned (I did upgrade the differential and driveshaft, which people have pointed out as the weekpoints).

It's tough to find one in really good condition, but it's worth the wait imo.

I would consider the LS2 (I think 06+) GTO over the 5.7, you'll need as much power as you can to get that pig moving.

If you are looking at Evo X's I would look at 2009 and newer, the 08's had ECU issues. Also if you want a fun DD look at an 03-06 Evo. Love mine.

I would consider the LS2 (I think 06+) GTO over the 5.7, you'll need as much power as you can to get that pig moving.

If you are looking at Evo X's I would look at 2009 and newer, the 08's had ECU issues. Also if you want a fun DD look at an 03-06 Evo. Love mine.

GTO's are ok take a lot to go fast in compared to f bodies but ride smooth. Agreed the styling is objective but they aren't ugly.

I agree w cherry pie. Skip the evo x and look at evo 8's I absolutely love mine it's such a fun dd. But they aren't for everyone I guess

Im actually shopping around for one of these too. So aside from issues with the value and styling, does anyone have any real reason not to get one? Any common mechanical issues? It seems to me that even being as heavy as they are, they can easily be made pretty damn quick.

They have trouble fitting a wide tire in the rear from what I remember, and not a lot of wheel options. I think the stock 17" came with 225 rubber and the 18" went down to something dumb like 215 or something. A joke for a 400hp car.

They had strut issues in the front, rubbed against the tires i think.

Thats all I can remember from a few years ago.

I thought they had 245s on them, not sure. We don't get many in at work, but what I've seen is worn front control arms which get done as a set, so it isn't cheap to replace that stuff, G8s are the same way. A lot of the parts for GTOs and G8s don't fit anything else in America so getting vehicle specific stuff can be difficult. Another tech at work recently went through 3 used GTO dashes trying to fix everything that got fucked up when the car's stereo was stolen, new parts just weren't available. Other then that type stuff if they are in good shape it isn't that hard to keep them that way.

They have trouble fitting a wide tire in the rear from what I remember, and not a lot of wheel options. I think the stock 17" came with 225 rubber and the 18" went down to something dumb like 215 or something. A joke for a 400hp car.

They had strut issues in the front, rubbed against the tires i think.

Thats all I can remember from a few years ago.

Stock 17" tire size is 245/45/17 and Stock 18" is 235/40/18

Cars are a total blast...they do everything REALLY nice...excellent ride, super comfortable, great power, good gas mileage...

Some people are a little misinformed with value..these cars are REALLY holding their value now. The values of these cars has really turned around in the last year..04's are the best value but (like that is really a "but") have LS1's, 05-06's have the LS2's and seem to hold their value better, but a nice low or lower mileage car will always bring top dollar.

I bought an 05 in 06 and had to sell it due to a witch of an Ex and just got a 7K mile 06 about 6 months ago and absolutely love it. Heck, I am hoping in the next year or so to find the wife a Cosmos Purple 04 so she will let me drive mine :-)

Yeah, I think Im still set on one. And as far as the finding parts issues, I would think that there are enough aftermarket companies to support most needs and if something was really tricky, you could probably get from australia right? Im definitely thinking an ls2 car because it seems smart to start with more engine. What are the limits of things like clutch, transmission, rear end, and engine as far as power levels? Ive been thinking of aiming for 400- 450whp n/a and maybe a small shot of juice, would it handle that?