2005 GTO help, looking at a car

Aaron

Yeah, I think Im still set on one. And as far as the finding parts issues, I would think that there are enough aftermarket companies to support most needs and if something was really tricky, you could probably get from australia right? Im definitely thinking an ls2 car because it seems smart to start with more engine. What are the limits of things like clutch, transmission, rear end, and engine as far as power levels? Ive been thinking of aiming for 400- 450whp n/a and maybe a small shot of juice, would it handle that?

I think you'd do fine with that power as far as transmission and rear end as long as you aren't launching on the shot a whole bunch.

As far as GTO's in general, I can't recommend these cars enough. One thing that is often over looked is the handling. The stats on a sheet of paper aren't that great, but the feel of the car is amazing. It is very well balanced and has a great overall feel to it.

I thought they had 245s on them, not sure.

Stock 17" tire size is 245/45/17 and Stock 18" is 235/40/18

I knew the bigger wheel downsized the tires a bit. I couldn't remember the starting size though.

I like the blue and metallic red 06's.

I'm pretty sure the widest tire you can fit (without modification) on the back is a 265. I think with drag bags or the Pedders suspension you can get rid of most, if not all of the wheel hop. IRS isn't a bad thing, like mentioned above the car handles really well for being as big/heavy as it is. As far as OEM replacement parts go, I have heard they can be hard to come by, or expensive in some cases.

Some people complain about the limited trunk space and the super slow power seats, but that wouldn't bother me personally. All around I think they are great cars. You can have a nice daily that will do well at a drag strip, and also be fun in the turns. Awesome interior, simple but attractive exterior. Great platform with a huge aftermarket. Whats not to like?

Think of it this way, it's nicer than the f body but its no vett. It's comfy as he'll even for a tiny fella like you. It can be made quick for cheap, but the small stuff is exspensive. I absolutely love mine. The people who have driven it or ridden in it like it alot. It's not super flashy and it's easy to drive for long periods of time. Been to terra haute and bak, as well as put in bay twice. It's nice, you can find good deals if u look around. Just make sure to get an ls2. You can also take a ton of weight out and get it down to 3500 lbs without taking the back seats out.

You can do a 275 in the rear. I love my GTO to DEATH! Even though its a 04 just catback, intake, and a tune it runs well and the gas milege tops it off. I daily drive mine and has been through one winter and does amazing. I have drove this car more than the Transam this year and have no plans of ever getting rid of this.

I had a friend with a 06 ls2 a few years back, he made 608hp to the tires on a mustang dyno with stock rear end and driveshaft(spec clutch). He did it with a stupid cam and a set of basically ported heads(don't remember brand) but it was a pretty mild set up. He made that on spray with a 175 shot. It took it all day long and was fine the day he sold it.

Now obviously it sucked from a dig because he couldn't fit a tire on it and had stock suspension. But he mostly roll raced anyways. I agree they are more comfortable for long drives and easier to drive than a modded f body. I contemplated buying one instead of my evo but I wanted to try something different. They were significantly cheaper a year or so ago and I was very close to buying one just because it was possible to pick one up for just a little more than a f body and it's such a better dd

I got an 04 gto 6spd with the ls1. It's cammed/intake car with stock heads and what not. Puts down over 400hp/tq at the wheels. I love this car to death. Only thing that is the weak link on these cars are the rear differentials. They are aluminum and light duty. Mine finally went out yesterday after 82k miles. I'll prolly get a built one to replace it. Other then that these cars are really neat and def have a sleeper look ESP the 04's since they have no hoods scoops or dual exit exhaust out back. You won't he disappointed. The interior is amazing too. Couldn't tell you how many times people check out my car and wonder what it is or compliment me on it. It's a yellow gto btw. Goodluck on your search.

The drivetrain parts are not as weak as everyone says, its more of how you take care of them. I went to the track almost every weekend last summer and was cutting 1.6 60ft on all stock drivetrain and it never gave me a problem.

This was a 06 auto car.

I got an 04 gto 6spd with the ls1. It's cammed/intake car with stock heads and what not. Puts down over 400hp/tq at the wheels. I love this car to death. Only thing that is the weak link on these cars are the rear differentials. They are aluminum and light duty. Mine finally went out yesterday after 82k miles. I'll prolly get a built one to replace it. Other then that these cars are really neat and def have a sleeper look ESP the 04's since they have no hoods scoops or dual exit exhaust out back. You won't he disappointed. The interior is amazing too. Couldn't tell you how many times people check out my car and wonder what it is or compliment me on it. It's a yellow gto btw. Goodluck on your search.

Haha, I just replaced the rear differential and driveshaft in mine last week. It wasn't completely gone, but starting to go. This was the only real weakpoint I have found in the car, and now it's not even an issue with my upgraded parts.

For rollonu, the 2004 GTOs did not have the same driveshaft or differential as the 05-06.

The drivetrain parts are not as weak as everyone says, its more of how you take care of them. I went to the track almost every weekend last summer and was cutting 1.6 60ft on all stock drivetrain and it never gave me a problem.

This was a 06 auto car.

Also it's an auto, less of a shock to the drivetrain when launching compared to 6spd's. I knew plenty of guys launching hard with autos in f bodies and cutting 1.5-1.6 60fts and kept the 10 bolt alive! Not so much with a 6spd in those cars tho

To whoever said they have nice interiors, I'm not sure what you're comparing it to but I wouldn't consider panel gaps big enough to fit your thumb through to be a nice interior. But overall they are cool cars, biggest thing that always turned me off was the overall styling.

To whoever said they have nice interiors' date=' I'm not sure what you're comparing it to but I wouldn't consider panel gaps big enough to fit your thumb through to be a nice interior. But overall they are cool cars, biggest thing that always turned me off was the overall styling.[/quote']

I did. This was also 3 years ago. I don't recall that.

Buy an F-body for a fraction of cost, buy cam and go fast.