Exotic pet license in ohio

2pointslow

Google is your friend

"Ohio's Exotic Animal Law simply states that it is illegal for anyone to bring a non-domestic or exotic animal into the state without the proper permits, a health certificate for each animal and a certificate from a veterinarian stating that the animal has been inspected. This law also states that anyone who wishes to possess a non-domestic or exotic animal in the state will not need a permit to do so, only to have them imported into the state.

Ohio administrative code §901: 1-17-12 is the exotic animal law responsible for possession of exotic animals within the State of Ohio. This law states that inorder for a non-domestic or exotic animal to be legally imported into the State of Ohio all rules and regulations, both state and federal, must be followed and that the animal or animals in question must be free from any contagious or infectious parasites or diseases that can be transmitted and are harmful to other animals or humans. Three factors must be met inorder for exotic animals to be legally imported into Ohio according to this law. These are that each animal must have a veterinary inspection certificate and an entry permit, that each animal that has tested negative, but has been exposed to an animal that tested positive for certain diseases be allowed into Ohio only after the chief of the division of animal husbandry has granted permission to do so and with a letter of consent from the consignee. The last factor to importing a non-domestic or exotic animal into the State of Ohio is that the animal must have documentation accompanying it that proves that it was a legal resident of the state or country of its origin. This documentation can be the appropriate state and federal license numbers or permits or a veterinarian inspection certificate tenure status."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/946393/ohios_exotic_animal_law.html

Google is your friend

"Ohio's Exotic Animal Law simply states that it is illegal for anyone to bring a non-domestic or exotic animal...yadda yadda yadda...

So what qualifies as exotic? I mean, are the neon tetras in my fish tank exotic? They're from Brazil, you know. Or maybe it's the red cherry shrimp in the other tank, they're from Indonesia (well, the original ones were... but I'm on something like the 15th generation of kiddies by now, the original parents died long ago).

So what qualifies as exotic? I mean, are the neon tetras in my fish tank exotic? They're from Brazil, you know. Or maybe it's the red cherry shrimp in the other tank, they're from Indonesia (well, the original ones were... but I'm on something like the 15th generation of kiddies by now, the original parents died long ago).

It's essentially non-domestic or imported.

My sister bought a Hanovarian (which is a horse, just a normal horse) from Germany and had to follow the exotic animal laws.

My wife is the only person at the Dept of Agriculture who issues the permits for all the animals coming in to the state. You have to have health certs and what not but there are no laws barring you from owning an alligator or exotic pet. However I know they are getting ready to change this. She tells me all the time about the people who bring crazy stuff in and then abandon them when they can't care for them any more. I'll ask her for all the details when she gets done putting my son down for a nap. When Stricland was in office they had some regulations but when Kasich took office he wipped all of that out but now they are in talks of reinstating regulation for it.

Went and looked at an alligator last night. I wanted to make sure there was no licensing needed before purchasing it.

I think this is a bad idea......being somebody who runs a pet store. What tends to happen is the person buys this type of pet on an impulse buy and then months later when its the size of your tub and you have nowhere to put it you want to get rid of it. They usually end up in the wild and left for dead. Please just say no and get you a bearded dragon or something easier to take care of.....

( Disclaimer not saying you would do this but its just what i have seen happen most of the time)

The wife said as long as the animal is already in the state then you don't need anything. However if your bringing it in from out of state then you will need a health certificatefrom a vet in that state before it can enter ohio. She also said most of these animals end up being abandoned because the owners can't take care of them once they get bigger. She got a call last week from a lady in Pataskala who went to get in her car for work and heard something hissing. She had a 6 foot aligator under her car.

This wouldnt be my first time interracting with a gator. One of the kids i grew up with had a gator, he would walk it on a leash.

I have no issues handeling them or taking care of them. Even at 14 years old the largest one this place had was 4 ft in length.