Mustang Trans / Rear End Q's

MackDaddy43

So on the stang, I still have the stock T-5 and the Stock rear end.

With the upcoming track day, this makes me kind of nervous. The car makes 426 / 491 and I'm reading the stock trans will only hold 300ft/lbs.

I'm running just the stock wheels and all season tires at this point, so I'm not going to be hooking up, but will that be enough to help prevent from breaking something? Or, is my only option really to just be easy on it?

For the future, what should I look into for a trans? The tremec, or should I just have a trans shop build a T5? Which would hold up to 700+ Hp and be streetable? Would I be able to get a set of custom gears that would optimize 1-4 for the strip, but leave 5 big enough for highway cruising?

This is a toy, not a racecar, so please don't tell me to go auto. :megusta:

With the tires your going to run I would worry about it too much. Unless you show up and run slicks or a DR you will be fine. Also powershifting will eat it up quicker, but I doubt your a power shifter if this is your first Mustang :)

Look for a Tremec 3550, still a 10 spline input and same 26 spline output on the trans so you can use your stock driveshaft and clutch ( if its an aftermarket unit). They are pretty strong and cheaper than a TKO500/600

There"s a guy that races on Wednesday nights that has a 93 coupe. He runs a 347 and an 8.8 with a spool a shifts an all stock T5. The cars runs 11.70's and drives home. You have way more power then he does, but with street tires you won't ever hook so I don't see a problem. If you do by slicks or drag radials you're going to need aftermarket axle's. An 8.8 is a super tuff rear end that Ford put itty bity 28 spline axles in from the factory. Ford feels breaking an axle is better then breaking a tranny.