Globalization - Ford T-Series, Chevy Colorado

zeitgeist57

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/05/ford-transit-van-coming-to-america-as-kansas-city-built-t-series/

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/05/pics-aplenty-global-chevrolet-colorado-rolls-out-in-thailand/

It's great to finally see the Big Three seriously utilizing their global platforms here in the U.S. If these plans go into effect, I have to also give a little credit to the UAW for negotiating labor deals that effectively force GM and Ford to utilize U.S. manufacturing plants. Might as well start importing successful products overseas back into America; should be cheaper to build and sell than developing all-new platforms!

Also, anyone else realize the T-Series (Transit) is FWD? Think the good ol' USA is ready for that?

It's time we get some diesel power plants to make these trucks purposeful again. Cummins has been testing out a new small 4cyl diesel which I would believe dodge would get that have been getting over 28mpg in a titan tester and the motor only makes 20/ft lb less than the v8.

It's time we get some diesel power plants to make these trucks purposeful again. Cummins has been testing out a new small 4cyl diesel which I would believe dodge would get that have been getting over 28mpg in a titan tester and the motor only makes 20/ft lb less than the v8.

The transite actually looks 10x better than the colorado. It would be nice to have more diesel powered vehicals in the US.

The current line of Ford Transits are FWD. Actually based on the focus iirc

Looks like the front end is made from leftovers of the previous generation Fusion and the wheels were stolen off the Focus. I'm all for it. I sank a more than a few pennies into Ford stock when it was dirt cheap and am happy to see them do well.

Side note, the Fusion Sport has 26k on the ODO after just over one year with me and it's been solid. Brought it in for a few minor warranty fixes and not only were they 100% taken care of, Germain had the car detailed like a brand new car and didn't charge me a dime. Service has been stellar. No charge 3yrs of maintenance and free Sirius for 3yrs made for a heck of a deal.

Ford is stopping/have already stopped production of Rangers for the United States apparently because of low demand. From what I was told people really only buy them in the midwest for whatever reason. I still like them, and obviously just bought a new one, but if they offered a diesel in the Ranger I would have 100% gone that route.

Like is always the case, Ford DOES actually sell a diesel Ranger in countries which aren't the United States. Frustrating.

Obviously it's somewhat a matter of meeting emissions requirements, but I also don't think manufacturers realize the demand for diesels in the United States.

Ford is stopping/have already stopped production of Rangers for the United States apparently because of low demand. From what I was told people really only buy them in the midwest for whatever reason. I still like them, and obviously just bought a new one, but if they offered a diesel in the Ranger I would have 100% gone that route.

Like is always the case, Ford DOES actually sell a diesel Ranger in countries which aren't the United States. Frustrating.

Obviously it's somewhat a matter of meeting emissions requirements, but I also don't think manufacturers realize the demand for diesels in the United States.

Yep, I have an uncle with an s10 right now that wants another small pickup but wants better economy, I asked would he go for a diesel and he said hell yes!

I def agree we need to have some diesel motors for these

What kills me is that the only option for a regular low cost daily driver diesel car is a vw TDI.. i mean the A3 doesent even offer a manual diesel quattro version much less a manual diesel. While i dont have anything against VW( or audi) i would like some other options other than a f350 cummings if you cant dodge it ram it smoke stack manditory truck. I don't live of a farm or own my own business and i dont need to haul shit.

I need a reliable, somewhat fun, high mpg, diesel car that doesn't eat wheel barrings for breakfast.

back on topic im glad to see ford continuing to compete internationally

Great job Chevrolet. Way to go, completely ruining your line of small pickups. It's amazing how they could follow the successful S10 with hideous garbage like this. Talk about a complete 180. I guess they finally realized that the Colorado was a POS, so they decided to make them LOOK like shit too.

IIRC the colorado actually has a diesel down in brazil....

I think?

Autoblog sez that the global Chevy Colorado is an official "go" from GM for the United States market.

My gawd...I hope they bring a diesel/stick powertrain option with it...

I'd think about buying one with a small diesel, but the quality would have to be on par with the bigger trucks. The current Colorado is just as nice as an Aveo, fucking junk. Of course if it looks like the picture that won't help it either.