Jeep Wrangler pulsing vibration

Zeppelin

Not sure if there are any 4 x 4 guys here, but I thought I'd ask.

I have an '01 Wrangler with a 2 1/2" suspension lift and transfer case drop of 1". I have a vibration that comes in at about 45-50 mph and gets worse as the mph goes up. What is weird is that it seems to pulsate in, then pulsate out, then pulsate in again, then pulsate back out, and repeats. It is not a constant vibration. Any ideas?

Thanks

Could be a few things, nothing jumps out at me without driving it, things like this that I'm not sure of I check the siomplest first and work up from there. So in this order I'd check into tires, worn suspension peices, maybe alignment depending on how the first two looked, then have the driveshafts checked and balanced. If possible it might be helpfull to drive the vehicle with the wheels off the ground to observe the spinning parts, obviously this isn't usually a good option for the at home DIYer.

Also by pulsate, where do you feel this? In the steering wheel, seat of the pants, whole vehicle?

...then have the driveshafts checked and balanced.

I know it's a completely different car, but this reminds me of an issue I had with the S4. There was a vibration that would 'come and go'. I ended up being able to pin it down to being load dependent i.e. low speeds took more hill and/or throttle but higher speeds (higher load) took less. The drive shaft was a 2 piece deal with a rubber 'donut' holding it up in the middle and that went bad. If this sounds like it might be it, check that out.

But I agree with his post in general, first go through and visually check everything in the suspension/drive-train. Anything lose or worn?

Not sure if there are any 4 x 4 guys here, but I thought I'd ask.

I have an '01 Wrangler with a 2 1/2" suspension lift and transfer case drop of 1". I have a vibration that comes in at about 45-50 mph and gets worse as the mph goes up. What is weird is that it seems to pulsate in, then pulsate out, then pulsate in again, then pulsate back out, and repeats. It is not a constant vibration. Any ideas?

Thanks

do you feel it in the steering wheel? If so that's death wobble more the likely check all front suspension and steering for play. If the steering will has no wobble it could be the drive shaft angle if the t-case drop isn't helping it you may need as SYE. Need more info.

death wobble = steering damper gone bad.

A bad damper alone will not cause death wobble.

It had mud tires on it when we bought it. Those are off and new tires on. 31s. Didn't help. It already has the transfer case drop. Its not in the steering wheel. Its more a buzzing type vibration that starts in the floor. The front driveshaft IS a 2-piece. BTW, Jeep has 146,000 miles on it.

Plan is to run it over to Trails West on Friday to have them take a look. Any good/bad comments about Trails West?

EDIT: When I crawled under it last night I did notice that the seal on the front axle seems to be leaking a little. That is kind of steering me in the direction of the front driveshaft. Maybe the u-joints or that 2 piece area.

Edited by Zeppelin

It had mud tires on it when we bought it. Those are off and new tires on. 31s. Didn't help. It already has the transfer case drop. Its not in the steering wheel. Its more a buzzing type vibration that starts in the floor. The front driveshaft IS a 2-piece. BTW, Jeep has 146,000 miles on it.

Plan is to run it over to Trails West on Friday to have them take a look. Any good/bad comments about Trails West?

EDIT: When I crawled under it last night I did notice that the seal on the front axle seems to be leaking a little. That is kind of steering me in the direction of the front driveshaft. Maybe the u-joints or that 2 piece area.

My Dad dealt with Trails West all through the 80s, he never had any issues with them but they've grown quite a bit since then. I was under the impression that they just had some guys to hang parts so I don't know if you'd get much of a diagnosis out of them, unless the way your Jeep is lifted is causing the issue.

Sounds like I'd spend the money to pull the driveshafts and have them checked out based on this post.

The t-case drop was put in to compensate for the suspension lift. Wouldn't removing it make the angles worse?

makes the rear better and the front worse. I had on on my XJ and it cause all kinds of issues. I ditched it ground some casting off the driveshaft to allow more U joint clearance and it was all good.

T case drop is really a band aid and the Jeep needs a slip yoke eliminator done to achieve proper driveling angles.

makes the rear better and the front worse. I had on on my XJ and it cause all kinds of issues. I ditched it ground some casting off the driveshaft to allow more U joint clearance and it was all good.

T case drop is really a band aid and the Jeep needs a slip yoke eliminator done to achieve proper driveling angles.

with the SYE it depends on the t-case. the np242 has not true SYE options only a tcase drop or hack and tap.