Bye Bye Rotary Engines

justcause

Tokyo – Mazda will stop making cars with its signature rotary engines after a 45-year production run that included powering the first and only Japanese car to win the 24-hour Le Mans endurance race.

Poor sales and the high costs of meeting modern emissions standards have made rotary engines uneconomical to produce.

Mazda Motor Corp. said Friday that the latest edition of the Mazda RX-8 will go on sale Nov. 24, targeting sales of 1,000 vehicles, but will end production in June 2012.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/10/07/mazda-kills-rotary-engine/#ixzz1a6jnQeMX

the 1991 787B win was only possible because of other cars breaking.

Although the 787B won it was NOT the fastest car there by any stretch of the imagination and they had no illusions of winning....the fastest 787B only qualified 12th in '91

but at the end of the day, winning is winning

Although the 787B won it was NOT the fastest car there by any stretch of the imagination and they had no illusions of winning....the fastest 787B only qualified 12th in '91

"by an inch or a mile"

Endurance racing is about, you know, endurance.

Non turbo rotary engines are HORRIBLE at endurance racing. The only usable engine for any type of racing is a GM LSx.

In the late '70's when Mazda first started racing the RX-7 in IMSA GTU, they brought engines by the dozen to the races. Run a practice session, change an engine. Qualify, change an engine (of course they were turning something like 14K rpm in those sessions). Start the race with a fresh engine and cut WAY BACK on the rpm's and hope to finish.

At one point we asked a very japanese engineer how they made the rotary engines so fast (and they were - just not real reliable) - he said "port till it leaks, seal up leak, run engine"!

Eventually they got better apex seals and more reliability - but it was always a balance of how hard you could rev them (more RPM meant more power) vs. how long they would last.

In the late '70's when Mazda first started racing the RX-7 in IMSA GTU, they brought engines by the dozen to the races. Run a practice session, change an engine. Qualify, change an engine (of course they were turning something like 14K rpm in those sessions). Start the race with a fresh engine and cut WAY BACK on the rpm's and hope to finish.

At one point we asked a very japanese engineer how they made the rotary engines so fast (and they were - just not real reliable) - he said "port till it leaks, seal up leak, run engine"!

Eventually they got better apex seals and more reliability - but it was always a balance of how hard you could rev them (more RPM meant more power) vs. how long they would last.

They seem to have figured a lot out since then. The 3-rotor motors they currently use in Grand-Am/Rolex have pretty long intervals between rebuilds.

It's a shame to see them drop the rotary completely. The rx-8 never really lived up to the hype for me. There were always quips that direct injection would save the rotary while making more power and helping with emissions, but I guess it wasn't to be. Hell, they even made an all aluminum prototype 16x engine a few years back. Guess it didn't work as good as it looked.

I had always hoped that they could build an all aluminum 3 rotor sports car, but alas, I'll just have to save up tons of cash to do it to mine.

recent news release states that Mazda will keep working on the Rotary design, but a production car that it will go into is no where in sight. its a sad thing to see the Rotary go out of production, i honestly believe that if auto makers would have been able to put it into production it would have been a truly great engine (damn 1970's oil crisis) as a race engine they can be made to truly take the abuses of racing the 1991 LeMans race proved that. N/A rotaries can take abuse and run for many years and laps with no issues, the 787B was making over 600HP and lasted 24 hours and won and Mazda also stated when they took apart the engine to look for any damage it was in perfect shape and had enough left in it to run another 24 hour race if needed. we all know race engines are not designed to last, but rather make mass amounts of power and win races even if that means rebuilding for every race in a series. just look at top fuel dragsters they are piston powered and those motors last maybe an event before being stripped down and rebuilt.

I read all these rotory engine stabs, and I think to myself, I'm pretty sure Carl, Yasser, Chris(FD), Chris(FC), Kevin, and myself have all had our cars up and running for a few years now. Unless one does a change in a build/set up, I'm pretty sure these have all been running with no blown Apex seals or major issues.

Though, I have noticed several posts from V8 owners whos cars are down. It happens. I get it.

Edited by Mojoe
fat fingered the hell out of the keyboard