Need engine rebuild...or DIY assistance?

zeitgeist57

A little over a month ago Trey (IV Rings) and I pulled a 300ci Inline 6 engine from a worn F150 for my 1982 Ford F100. My plans were to re-gasket the engine and bolt it into my truck.

Now, I've had the engine sitting on a stand in my garage, and I've barely pulled the accessory drive off it. I'm not going to use this engine...I would need to do an electric pump for the carb, sensors I don't need, etc...plus the fact that it will likely need a rebuild again anyway at some point...

So, I'm still a decent shadetree mechanic, so I would love to rip apart my stock 1982 single-cylinder, cast-iron-exhaust-manifold engine, check clearances and tolerances, and do a stock engine rebuild. NOTHING PERFORMANCE...no boring, stroking, intake/exhaust enhancements...just rering (it's at half-compression on cyl #3), bearing repairs as necessary, and all new gaskets. CHEAP.

Anyone that can pledge time on a weekend coming up to assist me in rebuilding this engine? Or...anyone that could do the job on the cheap? This would be my first rebuild. Thanks!

Would like to do this relatively soon...so my Ford is as close to 100% before the winter...

I sure wouldn't mind helping out. You find all the info we'd need, torque specs and clearences ect, and I can come with experience and some of the tools needed. We could tackle the project however you want, on the cheap or cover all the bases, whatever you want to do. Of course I prefer to fully freshen the block and head with a machine shop, we could do a good inspection in your garage and see if we can get away with a simple deglazing and clean up, your choice. Let me know if I can help.

I sure wouldn't mind helping out. You find all the info we'd need, torque specs and clearences ect, and I can come with experience and some of the tools needed. We could tackle the project however you want, on the cheap or cover all the bases, whatever you want to do. Of course I prefer to fully freshen the block and head with a machine shop, we could do a good inspection in your garage and see if we can get away with a simple deglazing and clean up, your choice. Let me know if I can help.

I know we talked about this before. Any good machine shops you recommend? Cost?

I have the Fel-Pro gasket kit for $65...should I just return it to Summit and get the engine rebuild kit for $330? Maybe we can put together a game plan over the phone...

EDIT: or a master rebuild kit from these guys? http://www.flatlanderracing.com/rebuildkitsford.html

PM'd...

Edited by zeitgeist57