Who Works For Micro Center?

Fiji ST

I remember a thread a few months back about someone who worked for Micro Center and was talking about a special deal or something along those lines. Can anyone direct me to who that was? I have to buy a new laptop and I need their advice/help.

Thanks.

The last 3 times I have been in there I left pissed off.

i know how you feel i ask for things that say are in stock and then nobody has any idea where it is. I ended up finding what I needed in overhead bins mixed with tons of other stuff. Its so poorly ran i dont know how it stays in business

I remember a thread a few months back about someone who worked for Micro Center and was talking about a special deal or something along those lines. Can anyone direct me to who that was? I have to buy a new laptop and I need their advice/help.

Thanks.

I used to. That was for the quarterly friends and family discounts. You wouldn't save anything on a desktop, and maybe a few bucks on a laptop. They are sold pretty much at cost. Your best bet for deals/discounts is to just bitch and complain, that's what most people do. Say you saw a sign that said so and so price and they'll eventually give it to you for that.

i thought he said he quit cause everyone was retarded?

Somewhat. There is a lot of smart people in the DIY section. Then you'll sometimes get some new sales people who can't tell you what a serial cable is.

i know how you feel i ask for things that say are in stock and then nobody has any idea where it is. I ended up finding what I needed in overhead bins mixed with tons of other stuff. Its so poorly ran i dont know how it stays in business

Whats funny is now there is a few new people in management and a bunch of people have moved around but absolutely nothing about how its run has changed.

I used to. That was for the quarterly friends and family discounts. You wouldn't save anything on a desktop, and maybe a few bucks on a laptop. They are sold pretty much at cost. Your best bet for deals/discounts is to just bitch and complain, that's what most people do. Say you saw a sign that said so and so price and they'll eventually give it to you for that.

:lol: Alright, I'll try that then.

I worked at the Home Office years ago (1995 - 2000) in a department that no long exist called Home Office Technical Support (HOTS). That group has since been combined with the current phone support area. I would have to agree that certain parts of the company are run by individuals that have been there since the beginning of the company. Other parts are run by individuals that are just there for a paycheck and don't care about anything else.

The only thing the employee discount is good for is on Books. Their books are one of their highest markups. I bought a Computer Networking book that I needed for one of the classes at Franklin for such a low price that I sold it to Franklin at the end of the class and made money on it.

Whats funny is now there is a few new people in management and a bunch of people have moved around but absolutely nothing about how its run has changed.

Last few times I have been in there management has appeared bewildered and stressed out. The Apple department has been a nightmare, I swear there were like 7 people standing around waiting inline for help (middle of a weekday), one of them actually asked the Micro Center guy "do you honestly only have one person working back here?"

And then I went all they way over there for some conductive glue only to find out they scaled back the DYI repair section considerably.

took them to find 4 different sales people to find where the arduino stuff was lol then the main board wasnt where it was supposed to be

Same thing happened to me. I asked where the Arduino stuff was, and no one knew wtf I was talking about.

I worked at the Home Office years ago (1995 - 2000) in a department that no long exist called Home Office Technical Support (HOTS). That group has since been combined with the current phone support area. I would have to agree that certain parts of the company are run by individuals that have been there since the beginning of the company. Other parts are run by individuals that are just there for a paycheck and don't care about anything else.

The only thing the employee discount is good for is on Books. Their books are one of their highest markups. I bought a Computer Networking book that I needed for one of the classes at Franklin for such a low price that I sold it to Franklin at the end of the class and made money on it.

What? They got rid of "Z Deck"?

KillJoy

I never got the mail-in rebate from the monitor I bought there years ago. Therefore, I say FUCK MicroCenter. lol nahhh not really, but fuck X2Gen for stealing my money and not sending me my rebate. Their monitor isn't even that good

took them to find 4 different sales people to find where the arduino stuff was lol then the main board wasnt where it was supposed to be

Same thing happened to me. I asked where the Arduino stuff was, and no one knew wtf I was talking about.

It's to the right of the fucking returns desk! :mad:

That area is actually stocked by the customer service people, so it explains why some people in sales wouldn't know. The only person other than me whom knew anything about them was Rebecca, because her husband works with them.

What? They got rid of "Z Deck"?

KillJoy

Haha, thats still around. I got a hold of some nice $60-70 flashlights that were z decked. Paid $8 for them.

• 4 weeks later...
I am about to buy a computer this afternoon. Has everything I want except it's an AMD processor. I'm more familiar with Intel, but those are easily $100 more. I just want a big HD and to be reliable. Any advice?

I am about to buy a computer this afternoon. Has everything I want except it's an AMD processor. I'm more familiar with Intel, but those are easily $100 more. I just want a big HD and to be reliable. Any advice?

Yeah, quit worrying about the processor's nameplate. Between 2000-2009, every system I built was AMD because, as you noticed, Intel was more expensive, and on a performance-per-dollar metric, AMD kicked ass. AMD also pushed Intel's hand in releasing true 64-bit desktop computing (Don't bring up Intel's Itanic. Just don't. You'll make a fool of yourself). Anyways, with the release of Core, Intel got back on top, so the last two builds I've done were Core2 and Core i5 based. I was looking for balls-out performance, money wasn't an object. If money IS a concern, then don't complain that it doesn't say "Intel Inside."

I worked there from '90-'96. Used to be THE place. Not sure the brick and mortar computer store is still a viable business model though. We used to joke that in technology it wasn't the best place to be but it was the best place to be from. Great training ground for future opportunity. I know I owe that place a lot. I still work with some people I met there. Amazing how many techies in Columbus started there, CompuServe (MIRIP) or Sterling.

Not sure the brick and mortar computer store is still a viable business model though.

Amazing how many techies in Columbus started there, CompuServe (MIRIP) or Sterling.

There will always be a place for brick-and-mortar retail, because there are times when next-day air simply isn't fast enough. We've already sent customers of ours to MicroCenter while they're doing installs because they needed something RightThisDamnedInstant. Where's my facility? The former CompuServe headquarters.