Engine pulling party - 10/29

zeitgeist57

Who: Scott, Eli, and anyone else (preferably with engine-building experience!) interested in pulling engine/transmission.

What: need to yank engine/transmission (300ci inline-6 from my 1982 ford f100), separate engine from the transmission, and examine motor to see what rebuilding services will be required...

when/Where: Saturday, 10/29...5pm. My house.

Domino'S $3.99 pizzas for everyone, lite beer/soda to drink. All rotating assemblies, radiator and hoses, motor mounts, linkages have been disconnected. I anticipate not too long to pull engine, but more time spent on breaking it down. Please let me know if anyone has trays/tools that will help with separating, organizing, and measuring vital engine parts.

I already have to work saturday, we'll see if I get a nap in after work.

Ugh. You are the keystone for this activity, brotatoe. I'll set up a hammock for you if the weather's nice...you can nap and get fed for being a "Technical Advisor" :) Otherwise, do you have time on Sunday?

Updates to come, everyone...

Ugh. You are the keystone for this activity, brotatoe. I'll set up a hammock for you if the weather's nice...you can nap and get fed for being a "Technical Advisor" :) Otherwise, do you have time on Sunday?

Updates to come, everyone...

I don't see why it won't happen, but you could have asked me before you made plans if I'm really that important. As long as its not raining. I'd rather lay around the house on sunday.

I might be able to stop by, but I think we have a Halloween party to go to that night.

If you're stripping down the motor that night make sure to have have several plastic tubs for parts in several sizes. I like using zip-lock freezer bags too since I can write on them with a sharpy. And last but not least a digital camera will be your friend when you put it all back together (assuming you took pictures of everything when you took it apart).

I have a tray you can borrow that is laid out for taking apart heads if you want. Little bins for rockers, springs, retainers, valves, push-rods, lifters, etc... Keeps everything in order so you know you can put it back exactly where it came from.

As I have found - and I'm sure Rick and Scott can acknowledge having worked with me on engines - no matter how simple the motor may be I'll find a way to f@ck it up. Like someone paid me to do so. :)

Great feedback. You're all invited. Bring said tools, and make sure your name's on everythang. :)

I'm down, if i don't get held up at the shop. What tools should i bring other than standard metric crap, torque wrench? bottle opener? jack/stands?

well since we are pulling a 30 year old Ford motor, no metric, no torque wrenches, but something to use that bottle opener on would be good.

well since we are pulling a 30 year old Ford motor, no metric, no torque wrenches, but something to use that bottle opener on would be good.

oh a 30 y/o ford motor so through out any technology from the last 45 years?:lolguy: I'll just bring beer(not light) and an opener and round up all the standard tools i can find. Not many I'm my tool box working at Toyota and all

oh a 30 y/o ford motor so through out any technology from the last 45 years?:lolguy: I'll just bring beer(not light) and an opener and round up all the standard tools i can find. Not many I'm my tool box working at Toyota and all

Don't worry even working at a Chevy dealer I don't have much for standard tools either. Besides I don't check torque when I take stuff apart :gabe: