01 focus, no start

copperhead

I just bought this car. It needed a battery, it would only start while on the charger. I got it to the closest autozone, got a new battery for it and all is well. It had popped a CEL before the new battery, something about lean somewhere or an o2 sensor. After the new battery it doesn't come back. Drive it around the block to go eat, afterwards it starts fine again. Drive it a mile or so to the highway then 2 or 3 miles down the highway and it dies. Turn the key and nothing. Headlights work fine, dash lights work fine, stereo comes on. The starter doesn't click or anything at all, nothing dims, its like it doesn't even try to put power to the starter. Also, the odometer is all dashes, no numbers. Its a manual trans car, if that matters. I stuck it in gear and popped the clutch while pushing it, the engine turned over so its not seized up or anything like that. The timing belt cover is off and the timing belt is fine, although I don't see how that would affect it anyway. I swapped the R8 relay with the highbeam relay, and tried both keys, no change. What else could it be?

I was pushing it up the road while the gf popped the clutch. I could hear the engine spinning, but it wasn't trying to start. I'm not 100% sure she had the key to the on position.

I can't really check anything right now, its sitting on the side of the road about an hour and a half away from here. In the morning I'm going to get a u-haul trailer to get it home, then try it.

So far from some quick searches I'm seeing it could be a bad ground, bad vehicle speed sensor, or bad pcm. Yippee.