Watermarks Continued

TTQ B4U

Okay, so to further the beating of a dead horse, ironically I just this morning got a call from a now new client that further emphasizes the reason for photographers and really anyone to watermark images. I think google will cover the basics of why photographers do watermark their images, but here's a real world example that worked in my favor.

Just this week I returned from a photoshoot in VA where I spent 3 days working with a client on images to be used for their newly opened medical practice. I left them with a series of watermarked proofs no different than the ones I typically post here.

Within hours of my sharing them, they emailed some of my images to a friend who is a vendor of theirs. That vendor liked the images so much they asked my client if they could use them for a project they were working on. Being a larger company they new the legality of things and approached both the doctor who appears in the images and myself who took the images for permission.

Within 20 minutes of starting my morning today I made another sale using the images I already took and by doing so brought on another client. So in a perfect world, watermarking not only protects, but it serves as an advertisement too.

Looking at it another way though, if the company did not see my watermark, or chose to be deceptive about copyright law or just plain not know better (still illegal) they could have snagged my images and used them without permission. Watermarks help insure that from happening and clarity for all.

I'm just saying there is no need to watermark ALL images you take, I understand doing it for the professional ones you take, snapping a pic of something to post here to get a laugh, or show here, who cares, I mean you didn't take those images with the intent to make $$ so why bother? Just seems really pretentious to put them on all your images.

It's all in fun anyway, I mean no harm.

Glad you got some cash!

I'm just saying there is no need to watermark ALL images you take, I understand doing it for the professional ones you take, snapping a pic of something to post here to get a laugh, or show here, who cares, I mean you didn't take those images with the intent to make $$ so why bother? Just seems really pretentious to put them on all your images.

It's all in fun anyway, I mean no harm. Glad you got some cash!

I hear ya. I don't see it nor intend for it to be pretentious. No different than other vendors here putting threads in the CR Sponsor Market or logos on their parts,etc. Only their stuff really can't be stolen or used by others as easily.

We're cool, you know that.

I watermark women I sex with my man seed.

So as someone who takes pics at trackdays and other events should I watermark my trash pictures?

I'm going shoot some man seed on Bens car at Columbus State next week.

Pic wise, just send me the ones you don't want. I'll fix them up, watermark them and sell them. 90/10 split me to you. Cool? :gabe:

Good to know, I'll drive the prius.

I messed around with a guy hot-dogging his yesterday. Why he felt there was a need to approach 100mph in it was weird. He found out battery torque is over rated when the total power is still less than 1/2 a family sedan. :gabe:

Mine has one of these:

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/jUbjMDI7V-ZgGbwU_nng757cFw3b6hIs_pCKAPz5WYtiOtz3E3Gks_f8sCMnM0cH4dbK8Bj0Q1Vd-jIMOgRaGU1sT_4wGYtop2NEhqLS7KTnWJeJlr4p7DSog0kusEQx6aLb8wP0e75pJOtEgt-iS_hoewkqYmJ5JppPEbzjHBZ_RGeeCqXKOEPbDoesRA

You don't want any of that.

Jokes aside.

I just did a shoot for a buddy's family, I watermarked them with my name when distributing them to family, facebook, etc.

I told them to get with me on what print sizes they wanted. And asked to remove the watermark.

I think that is a very reasonable request but my question is how do you have your work recognized when you print off your images for 'customers'

Do you leave a minimal watermark in the corner so you are recognized? Kind of like buying a painting, you don't ask the artist to remove their name from the corner...?

Or since they are paying customers and have essentially paid for the rights to the photos, you remove them?

Sorry for the lamesauce question. should be an easy one.

I think that is a very reasonable request but my question is how do you have your work recognized when you print off your images for 'customers'

Do you leave a minimal watermark in the corner so you are recognized? Kind of like buying a painting, you don't ask the artist to remove their name from the corner...?

Or since they are paying customers and have essentially paid for the rights to the photos, you remove them?

Sorry for the lamesauce question. should be an easy one.

Not a lamesauce question. You'll find mixed results on this answer as times are changing fast. Lots professionals put their studio name in the corner or at the very least a logo.

Here's a friend of mine's page: http://adlerhouse.com/index.html

Notice in the upper right. That's her logo she puts in watermark fashion on her prints. I don't. I put labels on the back of my prints with my contact information on them.

Keep in mind, when a customer pays for the images, they pay for limited fair use. They still do not own the rights to the images unless you specifically sign a contract with them to do so. However, I wouldn't ever do that. If images are from my eye and camera, the rights are mine not theirs.

Not a lamesauce question. You'll find mixed results on this answer as times are changing fast. Lots professionals put their studio name in the corner or at the very least a logo.

Here's a friend of mine's page: http://adlerhouse.com/index.html

Notice in the upper right. That's her logo she puts in watermark fashion on her prints. I don't. I put labels on the back of my prints with my contact information on them.

Keep in mind, when a customer pays for the images, they pay for limited fair use. They still do not own the rights to the images unless you specifically sign a contract with them to do so. However, I wouldn't ever do that. If images are from my eye and camera, the rights are mine not theirs.

How big is too big for a watermark? Are there any guidelines?