Abarth 500

El Karacho1647545492

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the love of these cars? No offense but to me they are everything oposite of what I think an Italian car should look like and perform.

Come drive one. I've got a 2010 Honda Fit manual on our used lot you can drive right before/after to get a feel for the difference.

Come drive one. I've got a 2010 Honda Fit manual on our used lot you can drive right before/after to get a feel for the difference.

No offense but a fit is not high on my wow factor for a car, An S4/S5 is on my wow factor, how does it stack up against that? I can see the early 80's coming again and ruining cars for car guys. :dumb:

Dude I get you are pasionate about what you sell, that's cool. But that thing is just well ugly. Italian cars are low roofline cars IMO not this cartoon looking thing. A fit is asian, they are known for wierd, Italy is known for style.

Edited by Benjamin

No offense but a fit is not high on my wow factor for a car, An S4/S5 is on my wow factor, how does it stack up against that? I can see the early 80's coming again and ruining cars for car guys. :dumb:

Dude I get you are pasionate about what you sell, that's cool. But that thing is just well ugly. Italian cars are low roofline cars IMO not this cartoon looking thing. A fit is asian, they are known for wierd, Italy is known for style.

Are you too dense to realize that this car is not trying to fill the sports car niche?

Saying that since the car is italian, and therefore it should be a sports car is moronic. Since a vette is american sports car, does it suck, because its american, and all we do is make diesel trucks?

Gabe did you watch the promo video? They don't show it getting groceries. I don't have an argument, I have an opinion, learn the diference.

LOL at this:

Are you too dense to realize that this car is not trying to fill the sports car niche?

And the OP posted this video in the 1st post.

http://www.fiatusa.com/abarth/

Now we have an argument.

160hp and 2533 lbs? Holy shit!

The new Kia Rio is 2410 lbs and 138hp, and starts at $13,6.

Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S...200hp and ~2600lbs. The Scion is projected to sell in the low 20k's. If this is true, it really makes it hard to justify the Fiat if its going to be in the same price range. I love quirky kind of unique cars, which makes the Abarth really appealing. I just think they're pricing (even the base) the 500 just a bit too high for what you get.

Gabe did you watch the promo video? They don't show it getting groceries. I don't have an argument, I have an opinion, learn the diference.

LOL at this:

And the OP posted this video in the 1st post.

http://www.fiatusa.com/abarth/

Now we have an argument.

Argument, opinion, whatever. I am not debating semantics. Deal w it.

Its a sportier version of an econobox. If they wanted to build a fast SOB ferrari ass beater sports car, they would have employed something other than a bubble lookin car and a 1.4L. Ya dig?

I thought you were talking about the Italian style of the regular 500 not the Abarth, my mistake.

If we're going to talk style though, it's hard to properly convey the kind of attention this car gets. There are few cars that will elicit the same response from a group of SCCA racers as a random crowd of people at Gallery Hop (I've done both events with the FIAT). You may see the SCCA crowd get excited for a BR-Z, but the Gallery Hop crowd couldn't care less. They will, however, love the Nissan Cube and Toyota Yaris, cars which the SCCA crowd lament.

I hope I don't seem too defensive; I welcome all criticisms, as it will only help me do my job better.

EDIT: It's also hard to explain, but car guys will know what it means when a car wants to be driven. Its something that I feel when I get behind the wheel of a Mini, or my dad's old M3, or most sporty cars. Its a characteristic that defines the 500, and its IMO the only car that you can get that in for the price.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/los-angeles-2011-six-things-we-learned-about-the-fiat-500-abarth-89141.html

The American model uses Fiat’s MultiAir valve control system, which is more efficient and allows the engine to produce 160 hp.]

Crash-test regulations mean the Fiat can’t have a six-speed manual transmission

We found the 500 Abarth to be comprised of nearly 50% fail and aids.

a tune for moar boost (and an LSD) would make this a MK6 GTI beater

I thinks not..

I wish that were the case, however, the article states there is virtually no head-room left in the tune. They have just enough boost left over to allow stock performance in higher altitudes. Means there really isn't much left on the table.

They come with an LSD from the factory.

The other thing might hamper that dream, is that fact that GTI's are under-rated. Typically popping out the quoted crank numbers at the wheels.

(most dyno 200-210fwhp) With simple mods 230-250whp

We're talking over a 100whp delta between the 2.. :no:

I thinks not..

I wish that were the case, however, the article states there is virtually no head-room left in the tune. They have just enough boost left over to allow stock performance in higher altitudes. Means there really isn't much left on the table.

I would hope there's still a little more room. I dont know if it uses a different turbo, but I think there's a couple variants of the 1.4 Multiair turbo that put out 170 and/or 180hp.

I would hope there's still a little more room. I dont know if it uses a different turbo, but I think there's a couple variants of the 1.4 Multiair turbo that put out 170 and/or 180hp.

Actually, oversea's the Abarth gets only 135hp.

You order the "esseesse kit" and it makes it to 160hp.

It essentially already comes "chipped" to 160HP. & Weighs more than the oversea's car as well.

Summary:

The lighter, better geared 6 speed car oversea's does 0-60 in 7.6 with 160hp.

God only knows what the US version will end up doing.. something in the 8's, which would be cool, if this was 1985.

Actually, oversea's the Abarth gets only 135hp.

You order the "esseesse kit" and it makes it to 160hp.

It essentially already comes "chipped" to 160HP. & Weighs more than the oversea's car as well.

Summary:

The lighter, better geared 6 speed car oversea's does 0-60 in 7.6 with 160hp.

God only knows what the US version will end up doing.. something in the 8's, which would be cool, if this was 1985.

They use the same 1.4L Multiair in the Alfa MiTo which is rated at 170hp 180 lbft. The Abarth Punto Evo Esseesse puts out 180hp which I think is from the same motor but I'm not 100% sure.

Also, pulling out a random metric like 0-60 for a small car meant for quick handling is just silly. I've seen slalom figures for a base 500 Sport between 67-68.4mph, skidpad figures .85-.86g. The Abarth undoubtedly improves on that.

C'mon Jones, you've got to realize by now I'm not gonna get mad at your trolling. Its a sad attempt at best.

It's not really a troll at this point, as much as I'm failing to understand the purpose of the car, even as you try to explain it.

I can't see any redeeming features.

Not fast, doesn't corner better than big cars, doesn't get outstanding MPG numbers either.

Nor is it particularly cheap.

What exactly is the car's niche ?