Abarth 500

El Karacho1647545492

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No and I'm not buying the hot girl and the car is supposed to be hot like her marketing. Thing is fugly. Looks like a retarded VW Bug. And I bet the new Bug is better.

Yeah, I didn't quite make the connection between the girl and the car. Nice try on their part, though. Not gonna hate.

Four pages and not one of you commented on the hot Italian chick in the commercial. Heterosexuals are disappoint.

As for the car, not really my style. I guess it would be fun to drive?

It was real fun to drive IMO.

No and I'm not buying the hot girl and the car is supposed to be hot like her marketing. Thing is fugly. Looks like a retarded VW Bug. And I bet the new Bug is better.

You have to be shitting me. The new bug is probably the ugliest shit i have ever seen. Slightly flattened version of the old one, with dog dish hub caps. No thanks. Not to mention every bug i hear from the mid to late 90's sounds like its a clapped out piece of shit diesel. Why would I want any VAG product?

brb manufacturer suggests adding a quart of oil every month :dumb:

Not to mention every bug i hear from the mid to late 90's sounds like its a clapped out piece of shit diesel.

The ones that sounded like a diesel

were probably diesel.

:dumb::dumb::dumb:

I know some of you will bitch and moan about "tl;dr" so here it is:

Shut the hell up and test drive one with an open mind. It doesn't try to be a track warrior and it doesn't try to be a SUV. It is meant to be a fun commuter with abilities to take corners which it can.

Oh and Alex is a cool dude.

today, I met my first CR member, Alex. What a cool dude.

I test drove both the automatic and manual models of the Sport versions. Both red with no moonroof.

I'm a tall dude, 6'5" and 168 lbs (yes, I know I'm thin).

Alex came out and met me and brought me into his office. He asked what I knew about them and I told him the things I know. He asked if I was looking to drive a manual, non-moonroof Sport. He was right on most counts except I needed an auto since the only manual I drove is my pop's old Ranger with lots of miles on it and wobbly steering.

Hopped in an automatic Sport, very nice! I liked it right away. Yes, it was small but it was meant to be small. Front row had plenty of room for me, legroom was good, I could use an extra inch of legroom but didn't feel uncomfortable or crowded. Alex gave me the key. The key did feel a LITTLE bit on the cheapish side but I think that's pretty universal. Started it up, smooth idle, I really like the cluster, much better than the dinner plate in the Mini.

The drive was on 70 to 256 and back on Tussel. It was peppy for what it had. I knew it would be slow compared to my SAAB. I was not disappointed at all. The automatic didn't feel like it sapped all life out of it. It did have its unfaltering intention to get in the highest gear ASAP. On the freeway, it easily did 80 MPH and didn't feel weavy when a big rig went by. It took expansion joints well. I didn't get to test its cornering but the way it drove tells me it can take corners very well. Brakes are awesome, when I looked at the brakes, they looked tiny but they were able to haul it down to a stop quickly. The turning radius...AWESOME. After I did the brake test (I didn't drive it super aggressive), I decided to check its turning radius. If you put down a stamp on the ground, it could turn around the stamp keeping one wheel on it at all times.

Rear seat is more of a LOL factor, it's there but not practical for people unless they were amputated below the waist. But it's good for keeping stuff back there. Rear seats fold down almost flat. Plenty of room in there for general stuff. Rear hatch lifts up high enough where I don't have to worry about banging my head, I appreciated that!

I conversed with Alex, mentioning the shifty nature of the automatic and I asked if a manual was easy to drive in his opinion, he said, let me get a key and we'll find out. Awesome. I told him that I was not very experienced with manuals and that if he felt the need to abort the test drive, I completely understand. he said, everyone got to learn. Awesome.

First big issue for me is the placement of the pedals. They are far too close together, perfect for those of average height and ability to heel-toe downshift. I wear size 14 tennis shoes and when I tried to shift or declutch, my left foot would catch on the wheelwell or the brake pedal, causing the engine to rev or suddenly lurch/take off quickly. I do see the advantage in having a manual over an automatic for a car like this but for me, I would need to have an automatic due to pedal placement and size of my feet. Shifter feel compared to the Ranger, it's precise! I did accidentally shift into 4th when I meant 2nd but that was at the beginning of the drive.

My personal opinion is that it is a fantastic little car and I would have no issue buying one. I reckon that with some suspension bits, 17s that are wider and a tune to get some more performance and quicken the shifts in the auto model, it will be a serious barnstormer/corner carver. Nothing felt cheap. The feel of fabric, plastics, and metals were of high quality. It was priced at 20,500 (the model I drove) which I thought was fair for an unique car like this. I can echo Alex's statement regarding its appeal. It is similar to a Jeep Wrangler, it's good at off-roading but everything else about it sucks: the ride quality, the space, the fuel mileage, and the interior. But they sell them in droves because it's authentic, it doesn't try to be something it's not. The same can be said for the FIAT, it is good at being small, looking good and deliver great driving experiences: it isn't fast, the most spacious and its blind spots are massive. But it feels authentic and delivers a smile to my face just like Jeep drivers enjoy their Jeeps. There are better options out there but none as fun as this FIAT.

Edited by PRD2BDF

today, I met my first CR member, Alex. What a cool dude.

I test drove both the automatic and manual models of the Sport versions. Both red with no moonroof.

I'm a tall dude, 6'5" and 168 lbs (yes, I know I'm thin).

Alex came out and met me and brought me into his office. He asked what I knew about them and I told him the things I know. He asked if I was looking to drive a manual, non-moonroof Sport. He was right on most counts except I needed an auto since the only manual I drove is my pop's old Ranger with lots of miles on it and wobbly steering.

Hopped in an automatic Sport, very nice! I liked it right away. Yes, it was small but it was meant to be small. Front row had plenty of room for me, legroom was good, I could use an extra inch of legroom but didn't feel uncomfortable or crowded. Alex gave me the key. The key did feel a LITTLE bit on the cheapish side but I think that's pretty universal. Started it up, smooth idle, I really like the cluster, much better than the dinner plate in the Mini.

The drive was on 70 to 256 and back on Tussel. It was peppy for what it had. I knew it would be slow compared to my SAAB. I was not disappointed at all. The automatic didn't feel like it sapped all life out of it. It did have its unfaltering intention to get in the highest gear ASAP. On the freeway, it easily did 80 MPH and didn't feel weavy when a big rig went by. It took expansion joints well. I didn't get to test its cornering but the way it drove tells me it can take corners very well. Brakes are awesome, when I looked at the brakes, they looked tiny but they were able to haul it down to a stop quickly. The turning radius...AWESOME. After I did the brake test (I didn't drive it super aggressive), I decided to check its turning radius. If you put down a stamp on the ground, it could turn around the stamp keeping one wheel on it at all times.

Rear seat is more of a LOL factor, it's there but not practical for people unless they were amputated below the waist. But it's good for keeping stuff back there. Rear seats fold down almost flat. Plenty of room in there for general stuff. Rear hatch lifts up high enough where I don't have to worry about banging my head, I appreciated that!

I conversed with Alex, mentioning the shifty nature of the automatic and I asked if a manual was easy to drive in his opinion, he said, let me get a key and we'll find out. Awesome. I told him that I was not very experienced with manuals and that if he felt the need to abort the test drive, I completely understand. he said, everyone got to learn. Awesome.

First big issue for me is the placement of the pedals. They are far too close together, perfect for those of average height and ability to heel-toe downshift. I wear size 14 tennis shoes and when I tried to shift or declutch, my left foot would catch on the wheelwell or the brake pedal, causing the engine to rev or suddenly lurch/take off quickly. I do see the advantage in having a manual over an automatic for a car like this but for me, I would need to have an automatic due to pedal placement and size of my feet. Shifter feel compared to the Ranger, it's precise! I did accidentally shift into 4th when I meant 2nd but that was at the beginning of the drive.

My personal opinion is that it is a fantastic little car and I would have no issue buying one. I reckon that with some suspension bits, 17s that are wider and a tune to get some more performance and quicken the shifts in the auto model, it will be a serious barnstormer/corner carver. Nothing felt cheap. The feel of fabric, plastics, and metals were of high quality. It was priced at 20,500 (the model I drove) which I thought was fair for an unique car like this. I can echo Alex's statement regarding its appeal. It is similar to a Jeep Wrangler, it's good at off-roading but everything else about it sucks: the ride quality, the space, the fuel mileage, and the interior. But they sell them in droves because it's authentic, it doesn't try to be something it's not. The same can be said for the FIAT, it is good at being small, looking good and deliver great driving experiences: it isn't fast, the most spacious and its blind spots are massive. But it feels authentic and delivers a smile to my face just like Jeep drivers enjoy their Jeeps. There are better options out there but none as fun as this FIAT.

I know some of you will bitch and moan about "tl;dr" so here it is:

Shut the hell up and test drive one with an open mind. It doesn't try to be a track warrior and it doesn't try to be a SUV. It is meant to be a fun commuter with abilities to take corners which it can.

Oh and Alex is a cool dude.

Yeah, I echo, pretty much your entire review. My reviewing skills suck.

The manual was cool, clutch was a little loose for my taste, but ive been driving my bmw with a stage 3, so my opinion may be a little biased. The engagement point was fairly high for my tastes as well. I think with a short throw, id be pretty happy.

The power wasn't unacceptably low, but I imagine the abarth will be a blast to drive with more power, and 17's. The pics of them on coil overs are pretty mean lookin too.

Cliffs?

Here you go. There's more details in the lr but this gives a good gist.

"I know some of you will bitch and moan about "tl;dr" so here it is:

Oh and Alex is a cool dude."

Here you go. There's more details in the lr but this gives a good gist.

"I know some of you will bitch and moan about "tl;dr" so here it is:

Oh and Alex is a cool dude."

tl;dr

I did have one lol moment.

That was when I was driving the manual version and I wanted to see what kind of power it had going at 70 MPH in 5th gear because in the SAAB, when in 5th gear, if you punch it, it'll move good.

It didn't move at all. No, I'm serious, I just floored it and it did nothing. LITERALLY nothing. Popped it into 4th and it moved. Very tall overdrive gear, that is.

I did have one lol moment.

That was when I was driving the manual version and I wanted to see what kind of power it had going at 70 MPH in 5th gear because in the SAAB, when in 5th gear, if you punch it, it'll move good.

It didn't move at all. No, I'm serious, I just floored it and it did nothing. LITERALLY nothing. Popped it into 4th and it moved. Very tall overdrive gear, that is.

QFT

As good as it may be, some of us just don't like that ugly ass turd. I hate the shit out of the GT-R, it's like the anti-enthusiast car, but it's a DAMN good car regardless.

More FIATs sold in recent months than Coopers.

And the reason this one will sell? 170ish HP (tune in to find out exact #s, I don't even know them yet) and 2000 lbs = obscene fun.

If that was the case, everyone would own a turbo'd Colt.

Get a 150k mile from a junkyard and you start the party at 200hp.