El Karacho1647545492

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah absolutely.

And that includes dealers like the one in Pittsburgh who had 0 cars on the lot but who were technically open for business.

This whole Laura Soave exodus should be good for the company. Getting a Chrysler guy to head the brand will help market it as a car for all instead of as a luxury item.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-worst-product-flops-of-2011.html

6. Fiat 500

Company: Fiat

This year, Fiat released its new 500 — a three door car that is under 12 ft. long. The car was expected to be a big seller, rivaling BMW’s Mini. Even before the car’s launch, however, detractors were predicting failure. Alan Mulally, CEO of Ford (NYSE: F), stated in Panorama magazine, “I do not see a large market in the U.S.A. for a smaller car than the Fiesta. Those that tried failed.” He was right. According to online magazine DailyTech, “Fiat expected to sell 50,000 500s during 2011 in North America. Through the first seven months of 2011, Fiat sold fewer than 12,000.” Sales were so poor that Chrysler Group, which manages the Fiat brand in the United States, ousted U.S. chief Laura Soave this past November.

OUCH!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-worst-product-flops-of-2011.html

6. Fiat 500

Company: Fiat

This year, Fiat released its new 500 — a three door car that is under 12 ft. long. The car was expected to be a big seller, rivaling BMW’s Mini. Even before the car’s launch, however, detractors were predicting failure. Alan Mulally, CEO of Ford (NYSE: F), stated in Panorama magazine, “I do not see a large market in the U.S.A. for a smaller car than the Fiesta. Those that tried failed.” He was right. According to online magazine DailyTech, “Fiat expected to sell 50,000 500s during 2011 in North America. Through the first seven months of 2011, Fiat sold fewer than 12,000.” Sales were so poor that Chrysler Group, which manages the Fiat brand in the United States, ousted U.S. chief Laura Soave this past November.

OUCH!

Soave's ouster was wonderful. The new guy, Tim Kuniskis, knows the U.S. market. I can't say anything specific, but expect to see an aggresively adjusted offering lineup very soon.

I don't know where they got that sub-12k number. To date FIAT has sold roughly 20,000 units since March 11. Take into account vehicles such as the Nissan Cube, a similarly quirky car, sold 21k in their first calendar year. That 50,000 was not an expectation, it was a goal. I don't know about you, but I always set my goals way higher than my expectations.

EDIT: Just went to Dailytech's website. I don't know why anyone is quoting them for auto statistics. Look to Autonews for your auto statistics.

I don't know about you, but I always set my goals way higher than my expectations.

Don't ever go into PR. When an automaker announces a sales target, it's directed at their investors and is designed to bolster their stock prices. Not meeting that target is a surefire way to tank your market value, and nobody sets out to make their market value tank.