School me on the Pontiac Solstice.

starkmaster03

I've test driven two Pontiac Solstice's in the past two days and I'm pretty confident that I want to get one. I haven't heard much about these cars and wanted to hear from people that have had them or know about them. What are the pro's and con's? Is there any differences between the years? I haven't driven a GXP model and wondered if it is worth the extra money. Any information would be appreciated.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've test driven two Pontiac Solstice's in the past two days and I'm pretty confident that I want to get one. I haven't heard much about these cars and wanted to hear from people that have had them or know about them. What are the pro's and con's? Is there any differences between the years? I haven't driven a GXP model and wondered if it is worth the extra money. Any information would be appreciated.

Unless they have gotten markedly better, I recall them being on the top of the most unreliable car ever scale for a few years.

You've got to get a turbo one, or at least turbo the N/A one, will be boring otherwise. :no:

Unless they have gotten markedly better, I recall them being on the top of the most unreliable car ever scale for a few years.

You've got to get a turbo one, or at least turbo the N/A one, will be boring otherwise. :no:

One of the things I'm looking into is if it would be better to turbo the 2.4 NA motor or get a 2.0 turbo GXP.

My grandmother has the Sky Redline, fun to drive but everything is placed weird, like the handle and window controls, and the passenger side footwell area is halfway taken up. It wasn't at all comfortable, at least not enough to drop the money on.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c161/spedponcho/hardtop4ge.jpg

Just give me one of these minus the graphics and I'll be happy as a bug or whatever that saying goes.

oh and in N/A because I'm not going to need all that power.

Too bad they're too small for me (6'5")

The GXP is worth it IMO. The early years are more problematic, but they fixed some of the problems in the later models and the GXP. Before the GXP none of the Kappa's had TCS or ESC, afterwards (so I think that's the 2008 MY) they all got it. It's a good thing to have on a car with that short of a wheelbase. All cars have an alignment problem of the rear clamshell "trunk lid" to the body. Some are worse than others.

The 2.4L's take boost well, but you have to spend more in order to upgrade it. There are 450 HP 2.4L's out there...but there are also 400-450HP 2.0L's that got there much easier.

When the GXP was introduced they came with a backbone brace that stiffened the chassis and tied the trans and rear diff together. Before that there were a lot of rear diff problems. The GXP's also got a different suspension and stiffer rear brace, different transmission ratios, different front bumper with brake cooling ducts (which looks better IMO), and dual outlet exhaust.

There is very little cargo room in the convertibles, but one friend commented that he thought the passanger seat of my Sky was roomier than his S2000. The coupes are baller but you'll never find one and you'll pay more for it. You can get a fiberglass coupe replica top though, if you want.

The 2.0L takes mods well. There are people up arond 400 HP with just a turbo and intercooler swap and a reflash.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Edited by Mallard

If I were to buy another, I would buy a coupe and keep it forever. But the convertables are a lot cheaper.

2.0L Coupe Manual

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=294921833&dealer_id=66074073&car_year=2009&systime=&doors=&model=SOLSTICE&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=__Y291cGU%2C__&keywordsrep=099111117112101&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1321111656876&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=coupe&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=DETROIT_NE&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=48094&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=PONT&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=1154&standard=false

Coupe, Auto

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=298781836&dealer_id=66240801&car_year=2009&systime=&doors=&model=SOLSTICE&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=__Y291cGU%2C__&keywordsrep=099111117112101&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1321111656876&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=coupe&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=DETROIT_NE&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=48094&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=PONT&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=990&standard=false

2.4L COupe, Auto

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=295792194&dealer_id=66112449&car_year=2009&systime=&doors=&model=SOLSTICE&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=__Y291cGU%2C__&keywordsrep=099111117112101&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1321111656876&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=coupe&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=DETROIT_NE&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=48094&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=PONT&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=196&standard=false

2.4L Coupe, Auto

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=305693098&dealer_id=70478&car_year=2009&systime=&doors=&model=SOLSTICE&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=__Y291cGU%2C__&keywordsrep=099111117112101&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1321111656876&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=coupe&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=DETROIT_NE&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=48094&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=PONT&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=652&standard=false

I don't have the car but I do have the LNF engine in mine and I have to say that is a remarkable piece of engineering. I don't think you will be happy with a non turbo if you want decent power (more than 177hp) but the turbo models respond VERY well to mods so long as you can tune it with HP tuners or the like. If you do not tune it, any mods will still make 260/260 after some driving. There is a turbo fanatic in southern ohio that turbos and tunes mustangs all day and he drives a SKY RL. He ran low 12's with a tune, intake and exhaust.

One thing to keep in mind: The ECU monitors the engine torque output. So if you mod it without an accompanying ECU tune, the computer will compensate for the mods and do its best to return you to stock power.

But who mods a modern turbo car without a tune these days? :dumb:

my father in law had one, and had some mods as well---tune, exhaust, intake, and some appearance mods. i must say it was pretty quick for what it was, and i was impressed--i would honestly consider one if i didn't want to fork out the extra dough for a bmw/merc/porsche two seater. obviously, the turbo is THE only way to go.

• 4 weeks later...