House heating argument

87GT

I grew up with a programmable in the 80's. I have installed a programmable in every place I have rented.

I have an awesome bed and keep the heat at 58 at night/day, always stay toasty warm, and 69 when I am home.

Programmables save money, especially when it is cold outside. They also work great in the summer as AC is more costly to run then heat. For the cost, I don't understand why everyone has not installed one, they pay for them selves in less then 2 months.

My thermostat is tied into my home security system which is controlled by my droid phone so I can do all my programming from wherever I'm at. Having the ability to program it for different circumstances has made a difference. Several different security systems have the ability to do this now. Since I do this for a living I decided to try it out and I love it. So far my thermostat, house door locks and garage door as well as my home security cameras all run through my security system and are controlled either from the alarm panel, any Internet connection, or my smartphone. The next step will be the easiest one being the lights inside my home, mostly just the entryway lights so that the hallway inside my front door is lit as I enter the house. Its really amazing all the things we can do with technology nowadays. As my daughter gets a little older I'll be able to set the alarm to send me a message when she disarms and enters the house so that I know she's home ok and safe.

My thermostat is tied into my home security system which is controlled by my droid phone so I can do all my programming from wherever I'm at. Having the ability to program it for different circumstances has made a difference. Several different security systems have the ability to do this now. Since I do this for a living I decided to try it out and I love it. So far my thermostat, house door locks and garage door as well as my home security cameras all run through my security system and are controlled either from the alarm panel, any Internet connection, or my smartphone. The next step will be the easiest one being the lights inside my home, mostly just the entryway lights so that the hallway inside my front door is lit as I enter the house. Its really amazing all the things we can do with technology nowadays. As my daughter gets a little older I'll be able to set the alarm to send me a message when she disarms and enters the house so that I know she's home ok and safe.

What alarm company? I'm in the market for a system and have been starting to research the ADT pulse system I think is what its called. How much are one of those communicating systems run?

From a guy who installs furnaces and thermostats everyday, programmables can definatly save money. Same as someone turning the t-stat down manually, just does it automatically. Combine that with a modulating furnace that ramps up only as needed and you can save a lot of money.

umm $250 is damn near starting price for a thermostat that's worth a shit. The programmables that we install with our modulating 90+'s start at 550. All the new furnaces are coming with communicating control boards and have options to use communicating thermostats that can cost over $1200. These can also be used with your phone and controlled even when away on vacation. It sure can be nice if you were on vacation during the winter when your furnace goes out and your system sends an alert to your phone. Sure beats coming home to frozen and busted water pipes.

There can even be money saved by paying a little more for a better, more accurate t-stat.

Bud...I work in the Field too...and Id like to know who you work for and who you sell too if youre getting this kind of prices for damn T-Stats. SOunds to me liike your referring to the Stats for the high end systems only. I mean a Vision Pro is $150 now and is an Awesome stat. If you step up to an Edge or the Newer Color Honeywell TOuch....Still at $400 or less.

Id like to get your clientel....I could make bank by beating your prices by thousands it seems.

However, I too agree....An Adjustable, programmable Stat will ABSOLUTLY save big money. The key is not to turn it back too much....There is a point where the % of saving will hit its peak point and truning it back farther will statrt to lower your savaings again. I like to see 4-5* of setback in the winter for the bbest savings.

I am simply referring to any thermostats that I would consider to use in my own house. I mean that is what we are talking about right? I am referring to higher end units because that is what I would install into my own house. Is there t stats that are cheaper and do a decent job, yes. I am not arguing that. I just prefer certain ones and would also recommend them to people if they ask for it. My point was not to say there aren't others that are good and do a good job, but that the price they are asking for the one referenced is not necessarily outlandish.

To the OP, as others have said, the gas used during the "catch-up" period would not be enough to offset the savings of having the thermostat turned down for a period of time. This is largely due to the relatively high discharge temperature of a gas furnace, and its ability to quickly increase space temperature.

HOWEVER, in a full electric home, with a heat pump and emergency heat (a heating coil/toaster), this catch-up period would use a comparatively larger amount of energy to heat. This is because electric heat produces a much lower discharge temperature, and it must run for longer to increase space temperature. I still don't believe this excess energy use would offset the savings of heating to a lower temperature all day/overnight, but it would surely come closer with an electric only system.

I work for a building controls company, and the majority of my work is in hvac. We don't do residential, but the principles are the same.

My dad just put one of these Honeywell units in, along with a new gas furnace:

http://www.forwardthinking.honeywell.com/related_links/thermostats/prestige/new/prestige_YTH9321R5061_lores.jpg

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Thermostats/7-Day-Programmable/Prestige.htm

Pretty much shits on the apple device imho. It includes portable thermostat/remote that not only adjusts temp remotely, but can take over priority to control temp in the specific space of the remote. It also includes a wireless outdoor temp/humidity sensor that reports to the main and remote thermostats.

Thats the New Color Honeywell I was referring to earlier.

I too DO Commercial Building HVAC controls Spankis.....SO I am right there with you on saying the principles are all the same and you nailed it on ELectric vs. Gas Debate and comparison.

Just ask yourself how much money you would save by installing the thermostat. Most people save enough for it to pay off itself in 6 months or less.

In my case my schedule changes so much and someone is usually home so it wouldnt save me anything. I saved money through dressing warmer in the winter, insulation, and telling the kids to close the damn door.

:lolguy:

Help me win an argument I am having. I have gas forced air heating in my house. I believe it will cost less money to lower the heat while I am sleeping and/or not home. This is because the colder my house is the longer it will stay at the temperature on my thermostat. Some people keep telling me when I get home and the temp is set higher then the furnace will run more (DUH) and cost more energy to heat up the house then just keeping it set at a high temp 24/7. Fucking run-on sentences.

Thoughts?

It's more efficient to turn it off when you leave and back on later when you get home. Of course, there's level of comfort you lose having to wait for it warm back up a bit. If it's possible, you could setup a timer to turn on 30min before you get home. That would be the best compromise.

Some of these things were probably mentioned as I stopped reading the thread part way thru. Still, my educated vote is clear.