memory foam mattresses (again)

evan9381

Is there a huge difference between name brand and non? My dad got one with a other mattress he bought, and said i could have the MF for $200...its about 10-12" thick...i told him id try it for a couple weeks before i decided if i wanted it.

Its been about a week, and it seems like my back pain is reduced, but not really gone, but now, i have a pain in my lower hip down through my ass cheek when i wake up.

So is there THAT MUCH of a difference between name brand and not? Or would a different thickness of mattress make a big difference?

we have a name brand mattress but after years, it will start kind of dipping down where you typically sleep so we bought a mattress topper (memory foam as well) every since my wife has been complaining about the same thing, so my guess is yes it makes a difference since we never had that issue before.

There is a 6 week adjustment period when going from a non memory foam mattress to a memory foam mattress.

Keep yours and you will see major differences by the new year.

As far as name brand and non, when I worked at the mattress store I was told there isn't a huge difference. We had the name brand stuff to get people in the store and they walked out with non name brand.

There is a 6 week adjustment period when going from a non memory foam mattress to a memory foam mattress.

Keep yours and you will see major differences by the new year.

Good info to know...not looking forward to a pain in my hip/ass for even another day, but i'll try it out

IV Rings (Trey) is the expert on this stuff on CR. I'd PM him and get his opinion as well.

I went with Tempur-Pedic and have no regrets. It made a world of difference for me, but then again, I never tried another brand of memory foam.

I totally agree with what Radio Flyer said about needing to adjust to memory foam if you've not had it before, although I think a week or two is plenty of time, not necessarily six weeks. I would add that it is slightly warmer underneath you, which most people like (I don't). Also, if you're a fanboy of heated mattress covers, then memory foam isn't for you.

Edited by Doc

I just got one of these, and was recommend it from someone else:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Comfort-Dreams-Select-A-Firmness-11-inch-Queen-size-Memory-Foam-Mattress/3158654/product.html

Only used it for a couple weeks, but I love it so far. They run on the "firm" side. I got the medium and like it. If you are a soft mattress lover, probably want to get the "soft" one.

Wife and I have had the Sleep number bed for about 8 years and she swears by it (I could sleep on plywood and be OK). Unsure if you have the opportunity and get a chance to see/try it out. They also do not have the same issue with the memory foam getting hard (Some folks have mentioned this is an issue)..

doc - i dont notice it sleeping any warmer than my old mattress, and that was one of the main things ive heard...i've had this one for a week so maybe another week or two and i'll get used to it and feel better.

jones - thats probably what i have...a no name, 11" one. my old old mattress was firm, and it was fine, i just felt like i wanted a new one...so i bought a super soft mattress back in ~2006/7, which i think contributed to my back problems...this memory foam i have right now is fairly firm...i was just curious if theres a big difference between a $400-1000 memory foam and a $4000-5000 tempur pedic.

doc - i dont notice it sleeping any warmer than my old mattress, and that was one of the main things ive heard...i've had this one for a week so maybe another week or two and i'll get used to it and feel better.

jones - thats probably what i have...a no name, 11" one. my old old mattress was firm, and it was fine, i just felt like i wanted a new one...so i bought a super soft mattress back in ~2006/7, which i think contributed to my back problems...this memory foam i have right now is fairly firm...i was just curious if theres a big difference between a $400-1000 memory foam and a $4000-5000 tempur pedic.

From what research I have done, the main thing you gain is warranty / long term stability from the foam.

They say the cheap mattresses "can" only last 5 years. The Tempurs are rated for like 20 years IIRC. However, for 400 vs 4000 I'll gladly try a new one in a 5 years.

This thread got me thinking. My back is on the fritz again since yesterday. I slept on very hard mattresses (a lot of times with no box spring) until I was around 28-30, then my wife bought this some-brand $2500 super-soft thing. Though it feels nice, that's around the time I started having back issues.

I contributed it to just getting older and sitting on my ass in a cubicle 8 hours a day.

I used to think I could sleep on plywood, hammock, or feathers and be ok. Now I'm wondering about this ubersoft mattress being an issue.

IV Rings (Trey) is the expert on this stuff on CR. I'd PM him and get his opinion as well.

I went with Tempur-Pedic and have no regrets. It made a world of difference for me, but then again, I never tried another brand of memory foam.

I totally agree with what Radio Flyer said about needing to memory foam if you've not had it before, although I think a week or two is plenty of time, not necessarily six weeks. I would add that it is slightly warmer underneath you, which most people like (I don't). Also, if you're a fanboy of heated mattress covers, then memory foam isn't for you.

This is the one thing I don't like about mine other than that its great.

Also, if you're a fanboy of heated mattress covers, then memory foam isn't for you.

I do miss having the ability to use our heated mattress pad. I love that thing. However, Memory foam does warm up quickly and within minutes, it's toasty.

I will say, I am a side sleeper. Usually the arm / should on that side is sore for a few when I wake up, but not anymore. GF reports the same, no aches or waking up pains anymore.

Best $3xx ever!

im a side sleeper too...i even tried tried to fall asleep on my back last night to see if it would make a difference...by the time i was starting to pass out, i rolled onto my side. lol

im a side sleeper too...i even tried tried to fall asleep on my back last night to see if it would make a difference...by the time i was starting to pass out, i rolled onto my side. lol

I've done the same thing..:lolguy:

The only way I can really go to sleep is on my side. :no:

Another plus from a sleeping on a Tempur-Pedic: you make less of a spectacle of yourself. :lolguy:

yes that is what i did but i should have been skeptical :lolguy:, that is what a very bad headache will make do to you also. The only think that i do not like about these mattresses is they are tough to move around on. You almost have to get up to turn over. You get use to it though because once you lay down your pretty much down for the count.

The only jump up I could see being useful is going to the mattresses where you can adjust the firmness/ softness in it. I'm sure once you find your perfect setting that feature would become useless though and you could have saved the money and just bought one in the firmness/ softness zone you like most.

Tempur-Pedic does the 90 day trial so you can have that 6 week adjustment period you need switching to a memory foam and you can see if you like the feel of the bed after that 6 week period. 6 weeks is a long time but your body may need that full 6 weeks to fully adjust to it. Sort of the same aspect of getting the flu and needing to take all of your medicine even though you feel better with half your medicine left.