So when your car gets worked on...

Cordell

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been here for a while but i cant remember the back story to this...and its referenced commonly

cliffs? someone not know how to decompress a piston for clearance?

As far as I know it's just to scuff or break any glaze or coating that might be on the surface of the pads. Any physical abrasions would be worn away quickly but I've never done it and never had any problems.

I can honestly say I treat each car as my own when its in my hands. No matter what the condition of the car is.

Hence why I get so mad at the shop when our customers get their car messed up at another shop that has not so great mechanics.

Also why I get mad at previous owners of cars I buy who "do their own work". That's when I get really scared. Everyone has their own opinion as to how to get the job done.

All I can say to all the $19.99 oil change places is that I cannot get a oil filter and oil at my cost for $19.99. If people haven't figured out yet that this is a gimmick to get you in the door to sell you a bunch of BS then let this be your eye opener. Go ahead and scoff at our shops $75 CONVENTIONAL oil change, reality is that we are able to at least break even and make a LITTLE on what it really costs to get an oil change done.

Go ahead and scoff at our shops $75 CONVENTIONAL oil change, reality is that we are able to at least break even and make a LITTLE on what it really costs to get an oil change done.

Ouch. I can do a syntec/pureone oil-change for about $35 in 10 minutes.

Ouch.

Ouch. I can do a syntec/pureone oil-change for about $35 in 10 minutes.

Ouch.

Amsoil/Castrol oils

Napa Gold or OEM filter

No you can't for 19.99, unless you have a discount in which case it comes close.

I can be around $35 for conventional myself in my driveway no labor, but at $95.55 per hour at the shop and the car sits on my rack a minimum of 45 minutes for a complete check over, $35 is ripping yourself off.

Amsoil/Castrol oils

Napa Gold or OEM filter

No you can't for 19.99

I can be around $35 for conventional myself in my driveway no labor, but at $95.55 per hour at the shop and the car sits on my rack a minimum of 45 minutes for a complete check over, $35 is ripping yourself off.

This is how it should be. People who want proper maintenance done on their car should pay, but far too many people have become accustomed to paying $19.95 and you end up with half wits who make a whole $8hr to change your oil and they don't care, plus the bussness itself has to buy the cheapest shit available to them to keep from loosing money. Everytime the dealership sends out coupons we are loosing money, at $39.95 we are bearly breaking even.

Moral to the story? Nobody puts a value in service, and quality anymore. In the land of Parts Washers and Waste customers will jump shi for as little as $50.00 a year. I love going back six months later and looking at the "new machine" and it looks like its been there for a hundred years. Meanwhile the bulk of my units look nearly new after years of service. There have been times that I have put machines right back out after a quick wipe down. Or the guys who refuse service even when the machine is pumping oil rather than solvent. You're not really saving anything by doing that.

I use Valvoline instant oil change all the time. They do a great job. They check (and show) me every maintenance item and the mfg. recommendations for each. They check and double check everything and always do a great job. I also use Firestone - They have been nothing but awesome! I can do all the work myself, but make the choice to drop it off and let them take care of it.

How do I keep them from not doing their job? I can't... Just like I can't keep a cook from spitting in my food or X repair person from doing the job. I ASSUME that the people doing the job are good people. If/when I get burned - I'll deal with that then. And to any of you who see lazy ass co-workers doing crap (like listed above) - REPORT THEM! Letting them get away with it is AS BAD as doing it yourself!

I usually do all my own maintenance and repair work. Here is a good one for you. I once took my work truck to an oil change place since I was low on oil at the time and knew it was long over do. Well, they wanted to show me something and this is where it gets good. They bring me to the back of my truck and tell me my rear differential fluid needs to be changed. I asked why is that, he said because it is thin and runny, well no shit it is hot. I could not beleive that they told me that line of BS. I wonder how many people they have sold that line to ?

I prefer to wrench on my vehicles myself, as long as I have the tools. If I need a cheap tool, I'll just go buy it. But if something needs done that requires an expensive tool, I'll just take it to have it done.

However, there have been times where I am just sooooo busy with other things, I don't have time to mess with a simple oil change. Earlier this year, was one of those instances, and later discovered why I won't do it again. I took my truck to Valvoline right around the corner from my house. They were having a sale and it ended up costing the same amount it would have, had I bought my own supplies and did it myself. Figured it would be a win-win. Fast forward to just a couple weeks ago. I change the oil in my truck so that it's ready for winter. I pull the old Valvoline-installed oil filter off and it was HALF OF THE SIZE of the CORRECT filter!!!!!! I wanted to take the filter over there and throw it at them, but didn't feel like wasting my time.

I've been thinking about general maintenance on cars, and how half assed it gets done by most people. I'm not talking about car guys, just the general public. Not so much how often it gets done but how shitty it gets done.

Take every shop I've ever worked at, there's alays some lazy fuck who won't clean out funnels, doesn't make sure the filter is tight, or the drain plug for that matter. Now I'm not perfect I've made the mistake of having an oil leak, but it never leaves my bay because I double check stuff. In the 2 years I've worked here we have replaced over 5 engines because our lube rack is horrible.

2 points to this, how can people go in blind and trust that their car will get worked on properly, and don't get your oil changed at Dave Gill unless you request someone you know.

This is why your the only one that touches my car there.

This is why your the only one that touches my car there.

Thanks man.

What is this car maintnence you speak of?

I forsee an adult driven, never been raced, Accord in 3-4 years that reminds me of a certain fucked up silver car.

Bring TA to Scotts job, get new engine

see ya monday.

Just ask for Charlie Sheen on the lube rack, seriously.

This guy got hired a few months ago, the other guys on the lube rack started calling him Charlie Sheen. Today he came in with a shirt that said "WINNING" across the chest.

It's rare that you'll get an auto enthusiast that isn't burn out to work on your car.

Like everything else, most people do it because it's a "job". People have lost any and all pride in doing a good job anymore. Everyone believes they deserve more and will do the bare minimum to get bye.

It's refreshing to know that Scotty & Others are around who still take pride in what they do and will care for your car like you would. Kudos.

This thread made me laugh. We had a camry come in that was making "Loud noises" today.

Pulled it in, and checked the oil.. Nothing on the dip stick. Lifted it up, and no oil filter. They just had the oil changed at valvoline.

Valvoline came to my dealership, with oil to put in the car. It made the motor quiet down some, and valvoline gave it back to the customer. LOL.

We advised them that damage has probably been done already, and they should make valvoline write up a R.O. stating what happened