01 grand am oil pump

351mach11647545510

So the girl has an 01 grand am with the 2.4l and 140k on the clock. we went to the post office the other day and I left it running while I ran in. I come back out and the valves are making all kinds of racket. I get in and no lights so I decide to just go, but as soon as I pull out the oil light comes on. I'm trying to get across traffic so I can pull over but before I can get over the light goes back out. So I continue home and it keeps coming on and then going out until a mile from home. Then it comes on and stays on till I got home. The car is where it is supposed to be on oil and if not for the valve noise I would hope/assume it was just the sensor. So before I start screwing with this, does anyone know where the oil pump is on this motor and is that what typically happens when one goes?

Sounds like its time to get rid of it. Possible oil pump, but those were bad about having the timing chain tensioners go bad. If it makes noise when the oil light comes on you are in for some costly repairs, and those old quad 4 will not tolerate much. Good luck finding a decent used engine most end up in junk yards because they blow up.

Sounds like its time to get rid of it. Possible oil pump, but those were bad about having the timing chain tensioners go bad. If it makes noise when the oil light comes on you are in for some costly repairs, and those old quad 4 will not tolerate much. Good luck finding a decent used engine most end up in junk yards because they blow up.

I would love to but we are in this too far. She wayyyy overpaid for this thing in the spring and I can't see just selling it for nothing. So at this point it's worth more to me to fix and drive. I'm hoping I didn't do much damage and can just get away with a pump and then sell or re-ring and bearings and just drive.

you gotta pull the engine out to do the oil pump I believe, I'm pretty sure its driven directly by the crank, check quad 4 forums (something like that, could prolly find it with a google search) its a good place to source used parts if the entire engine is hosed, if you need help just let me k.ow, id be happy to lend a hand on weekends and I'm very familiar with this series of engines

you gotta pull the engine out to do the oil pump I believe, I'm pretty sure its driven directly by the crank, check quad 4 forums (something like that, could prolly find it with a google search) its a good place to source used parts if the entire engine is hosed, if you need help just let me k.ow, id be happy to lend a hand on weekends and I'm very familiar with this series of engines

That's what I was afraid of. Appreciate it. Was hopin it was external and could replace and be rid of this car but looks like I might as well overhaul it and keep it.

talk to mjrsplat, he is very well versed with these engines, I was talkin to him about it, he suggested just swapping for the 2.3 with a set of high output cams, all you have to do is put a tune on it and call it a day (2.3 wireing is the same) that setup is good for about 30 more horsepower

talk to mjrsplat, he is very well versed with these engines, I was talkin to him about it, he suggested just swapping for the 2.3 with a set of high output cams, all you have to do is put a tune on it and call it a day (2.3 wireing is the same) that setup is good for about 30 more horsepower

Not trying to make "power" in a grand am. It's just a driver for her.