NTSB calls for nationwide ban on PEDs while driving

TTQ B4U

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2011/111213.html

December 13, 2011

Following today's Board meeting on the 2010 multi-vehicle highway accident in Gray Summit, Missouri, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) called for the first-ever nationwide ban on driver use of personal electronic devices (PEDs) while operating a motor vehicle.

The safety recommendation specifically calls for the 50 states and the District of Columbia to ban the nonemergency use of portable electronic devices (other than those designed to support the driving task) for all drivers. The safety recommendation also urges use of the NHTSA model of high-visibility enforcement to support these bans and implementation of targeted communication campaigns to inform motorists of the new law and heightened enforcement.

"According to NHTSA, more than 3,000 people lost their lives last year in distraction-related accidents", said Chairman Deborah A.P. Hersman. "It is time for all of us to stand up for safety by turning off electronic devices when driving." "No call, no text, no update, is worth a human life."

On August 5, 2010, on a section of Interstate 44 in Gray Summit, Missouri, a pickup truck ran into the back of a truck-tractor that had slowed due to an active construction zone. The pickup truck, in turn, was struck from behind by a school bus. That school bus was then hit by a second school bus that had been following. As a result, two people died and 38 others were injured.

The NTSB's investigation revealed that the pickup driver sent and received 11 text messages in the 11 minutes preceding the accident. The last text was received moments before the pickup struck the truck-tractor.

The Missouri accident is the most recent distraction accident the NTSB has investigated. However, the first investigation involving distraction from a wireless electronic device occurred in 2002, when a novice driver, distracted by a conversation on her cell phone, veered off the roadway in Largo, Maryland, crossed the median, flipped the car over, and killed five people.

Since then, the NTSB has seen the deadliness of distraction across all modes of transportation.

• In 2004, an experienced motorcoach driver, distracted on his hands-free cell phone, failed to move to the center lane and struck the underside of an arched stone bridge on the George Washington Parkway in Alexandria, Virginia. Eleven of the 27 high school students were injured;
  • In the 2008 collision of a commuter train with a freight train in Chatsworth, California, the commuter train engineer, who had a history of using his cell phone for personal communications while on duty, ran a red signal while texting. That train collided head on with a freight train - killing 25 and injuring dozens;
  • In 2009, two airline pilots were out of radio communication with air traffic control for more than an hour because they were distracted by their personal laptops. They overflew their destination by more than 100 miles, only realizing their error when a flight attendant inquired about preparing for arrival.
  • In Philadelphia in 2010, a barge being towed by a tugboat ran over an amphibious "duck" boat in the Delaware River, killing two Hungarian tourists. The tugboat mate failed to maintain a proper lookout due to repeated use of a cell-phone and laptop computer;
  • In 2010, near Munfordville, Kentucky, a truck-tractor in combination with a 53-foot-long trailer, left its lane, crossed the median and collided with a 15-passenger van. The truck driver failed to maintain control of his vehicle because he was distracted by use of his cell-phone. The accident resulted in 11 fatalities

In the last two decades, there has been exponential growth in the use of cell-phone and personal electronic devices. Globally, there are 5.3 billion mobile phone subscribers or 77 percent of the world population. In the United States, that percentage is even higher - it exceeds 100 percent.

Further, a Virginia Tech Transportation Institute study of commercial drivers found that a safety-critical event is 163 times more likely if a driver is texting, e-mailing, or accessing the Internet.

"The data is clear; the time to act is now. How many more lives will be lost before we, as a society, change our attitudes about the deadliness of distractions?" Hersman said.

A synopsis of the NTSB report, including the probable cause, findings, and a complete list of the safety recommendations, will be available online after the meeting.

The NTSB's full report will be available on the website in several weeks.

Discuss.....

I believe on Jalopnik or Autoblog, they mention that the teen who received/sent 11 texts hit a stationary semi truck and two school buses then rear-ended him, killing him and one kid.

My question is HOW did two school buses hit the truck? If they both hit, it means they were following too close. Sorry for that off-track comment.

I do text while driving but only usually if there's no traffic around. Good luck to LEOs enforcing that.

My only issue with it is the broadness of the ban. I use my phone to stream music and play through my car. I generally set a station up before I leave the driveway, and won't fiddle with it while I'm driving. While this is no different, and in many ways better than someone flipping through radio stations while driving, this ban seems broad enough that it could affect something like this.

Of course, even if the ban passes I'm still going to do the same thing.

Exactly, my phone is my main audio player, and GPS while in my car. I avoid texting while not at a red light, but I've read a few texts while driving. It's faster then checking a mirror most of the time.

Didn't even think about people who have handheld GPS systems. I'm sure Garmin and Tom-Tom will have something to say about this.

It will be interesting if implemented to see how they attain to allow passengers use their PEDs while in a car that's moving. Also would be interesting to see how you retrofit older vehicles.

I'm for it I think WAY to many people get distracted while driving. There are people who can talk and drive and others who can't and its scary being in a car with the latter.

And yet, we are on a huge decline of driving related fatalities

From the NHTSA themselves:

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

I saw an article the other day stating that we just had a year with the lowest number of fatalities since the 60s. While this is an issue that can lead to wrecks, I don't feel that a ban on all phone use is needed, or even justifiable.

but I still think this is bull crap. They're taking our rights a little by little. Also, another way to revenue for the gov.

so are you saying you have a right to endanger others while exercising the privilege of driving a vehicle? again, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Is it sad I had to read part of the article to figure out what a PED was?

haha! here too. gone are the days of calling them PDA's

It will be interesting if implemented to see how they attain to allow passengers use their PEDs while in a car that's moving. Also would be interesting to see how you retrofit older vehicles.

I agree. I think it would be pretty difficult to enforce without tons of challenges. What's next, ruling out talking to my passenger while driving? In terms of retrofitting, I doubt it will happen and I don't see hands-free being eliminated. Doing so will just cause more people to wreck by being forced to go hands on, as they is a set of people that will use a phone regardless of the law in place.

I'm for it I think WAY to many people get distracted while driving. There are people who can talk and drive and others who can't and its scary being in a car with the latter.
I agree that it can only help.

And yet, we are on a huge decline of driving related fatalities

perhaps, but think about how much more can be done by eliminating the top distracting item of drivers on the road. America can be better.

Edited by TTQ B4U

lets ignore that police look at their computers when driving their cruisers.

This.

Also, there's no point in passing laws that won't be enforced. People already drive in heavy rain without their lights on, change lanes without signalling, etc. and the police I see don't seem to care. They're going to need to seriously staff up to catch all the dangerous villains dividing their attention while driving!

I'd suggest it would be better to just take their license for life if they cause an accident while using a phone/whatever. While we're at it do the same for DUI.

I would love to see all the cellphones disappear from driver's hands. Every day I come up behind someone going slower than surrounding traffic or unable to choose a lane because they're texting or talking on their cell. It's fucking ridiculous and shouldn't happen.

But I don't see it being enforced. As above, there's still people who drive in bad conditions without lights, have cars with no functioning brakelights, and I still see people texting on the road even when it's supposed to be banned in Columbus. It drives me nuts that these people think it's ok to endanger the lives of those around them, but I don't see a solution as long as the cops don't give a shit.

I don't see a solution as long as the cops don't give a shit.

The best thing for the agencies to do is go after what impacts people most directly....their insurance companies and employers. If Johnny doesn't care about the law because he'll take his chance on getting a ticket, lets see if he'll take his chance if his insurance rates skyrocket when caught, when his policy states it's void if found to be guilty of using such a device upon investigating an accident or if he'll change his ways should his employer fire him for using it. My guess is most will change their ways then. Lose your job if you use a cell in the car.....I'd stop.

I can easily see employers getting hit with fines and law suits should they be found not enforcing future rules put upon them. ie....if as a company their employees are in an accident on company time and found using a cell phone, they will pay through the nose. Action would then be for employers to crack down on use. Even more effective if you drive a company car or use a co. cell phone. Make it a year part of their routine to scan peoples driving records (for those where it's applicable). Many companaies already do that in addition to tracking who you're calling. We do both.

Again, hitting people higher up the food chain is where the success will be found.

I agree with everyone who mentioned music and whatnot. I don't text while driving, but I do use it to listen to Pandora or iheartradio through my head unit since for some reason mine won't pick up AM stations and I still like to listen to Corby on the way home from work.

I think trying to legislate America into "being better" is almost always a bad idea. Then creating punishments based on potential harm, for something we all have been somewhat guilty of, seems like a great way to make criminals out of regular citizens, and/or open up cash revenue streams for the government and insurance agencies.

seems like a great way to make criminals out of regular citizens, and/or open up cash revenue streams for the government and insurance agencies.

I've been ticketed for passing on the right, having my car parked in front of my house too long, cracked trailer tires, and "excessive muffler noise" (on a stock cb750). I am one smooth criminal!

More legislation is a bad thing. Can't police just write a ticket for "creating an unsafe condition" or "reckless op" or something at their discretion instead?

I've been ticketed for passing on the right, having my car parked in front of my house too long, cracked trailer tires, and "excessive muffler noise" (on a stock cb750). I am one smooth criminal!

More legislation is a bad thing. Can't police just write a ticket for "creating an unsafe condition" or "reckless op" or something at their discretion instead?

just discussing.....

so are you saying that passing on the right isn't a big deal?

that using the public street as your personal driveway isn't an issue?

Noise ordinances aren't necessary? Didn't you fight the stock CB750 issue?

I agree with you in terms of perhaps using existing laws or simply editing them, but couldn't that or an officer using their discretion be seen as too much empowerment as well? Do you not see any issues with that too?

just discussing.....

I agree with you in terms of perhaps using existing laws or simply editing them, but couldn't that or an officer using their discretion be seen as too much empowerment as well? Do you not see any issues with that too?

I think any law new or old that targets devices specifically would all fall into a degree of discretion for the officer, since the devices themselves serve so many possible functions, as we have discussed. We all think texting while driving is distracting, but so is changing cds, doing makeup, eating a sandwich, talking to a passenger, all to varying degrees, but still distracting. Educating drivers is likely the best thing we can do, and we have to know for certain it won't stop the problem 100%. Nothing will, because dumbasses will continue to live, and non-dumbasses will still make the occasional bad decision.

just discussing.....

so are you saying that passing on the right isn't a big deal?

that using the public street as your personal driveway isn't an issue?

Noise ordinances aren't necessary? Didn't you fight the stock CB750 issue?

Passing on the right isn't a big deal at all. I've done it hundreds if not thousands of times, and never witnessed it being any more dangerous than passing on the left. If there are 2+ lanes, and slower traffic doesn't keep right, then fail.

Using the public street as my driveway is okay. Having to have a permit to park in front of my house on a side street is silly, and cars being parked on either side of the street didn't impede traffic flow whatsoever in this case. The policemen didn't have much of a problem with it except an asshole neighbor called them constantly and complained so the bitchy person got what they wanted. This is also fail.

I did fight the muffler issue. It was at the discretion of the citing officer, and their "expert" witness (also a policemen) and I had a chat about what BS it was that my sewing-machine got cited, but I was SOL without hiring an attorney and a 16-year old can't afford that shiz on $6.30/hour.

Abuse of power is absolutely an ongoing issue with anyone in authority. I understand that policemen have to defend their actions and are under constant scrutiny, as they should be. Giving out BS tickets just to shut someone up or generate revenue is far worse in my opinion. The system in place is too established and too powerful to change without resources that are beyond the reach of joe-citizen.

Cliff notes: The "man" is too powerful and you can already be cited for anything at anytime.