Primary SHTF side arm?

Radio Flyer1647545514

What would you choose for your primary side arm and why?

I've been looking into this and my main concern is magazine capacity. If you follow, "Gun control is hitting your target", then I seen no reason not to go with a 9mm with the pro of being able to carry more ammo at once.

I've only shot a H&K USP .45 compact as far as .45acp goes but I definitely do like shooting it and feel pretty comfortable with it. The .45acp definitely has the most knockdown power (9mm, .40 and .45) and can handle any distance you would need to use a pistol for but, is it worth giving up the extra amount of ammo you can carry in a magazine?

I've thought about 10mm rounds but haven't read a lot about them. From what I've read one pro is that you can use .40 rounds in a 10mm gun, you may just need to swap some parts and be sure to give it a good cleaning in between shooting the different rounds. Any info on this or did I skim over some BS?

Just trying to get some opinions to help narrow my search/ add some pros and cons to my list.

I'd prob grab my glock 17 (my bedside gun) because its dead reliable I have a shitload of ammo and spare mags for it. Plus it already has an extended slide release, trijicon nite sites, tungsten guide rod, 3.5 trigger and an insight M3 on it. That and other than .22 it would be the easiest to find ammo for.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k204/stangsn95gt/9b87aa0f.jpg

What would you choose for your primary side arm and why?

I've been looking into this and my main concern is magazine capacity. If you follow, "Gun control is hitting your target", then I seen no reason not to go with a 9mm with the pro of being able to carry more ammo at once.

I've only shot a H&K USP .45 compact as far as .45acp goes but I definitely do like shooting it and feel pretty comfortable with it. The .45acp definitely has the most knockdown power (9mm, .40 and .45) and can handle any distance you would need to use a pistol for but, is it worth giving up the extra amount of ammo you can carry in a magazine?

I've thought about 10mm rounds but haven't read a lot about them. From what I've read one pro is that you can use .40 rounds in a 10mm gun, you may just need to swap some parts and be sure to give it a good cleaning in between shooting the different rounds. Any info on this or did I skim over some BS?

Just trying to get some opinions to help narrow my search/ add some pros and cons to my list.

Easy there, you're going in a few different directions and not all of them are good.

First off, today's modern ammo really negates the advantages a .45ACP used to have over a 9mm, to the point where the big 3 (9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP) all deliver about the same performance. This isn't 1940. Obviously 9mm rounds are smaller and lighter, which means you can carry more all else being equal. This is a big plus. It's also one of the most prolific calibers in the world, which is another big plus.

Second, shooting .40S&W ammo out of a 10mm is kind of silly. Why you'd want to carry conversion parts (?) is a little impractical. Autos don't work like revolvers in that you can shoot multiple loads out of the same gun without modification. Many .40 pistols can be converted to 9mm with a a few parts (barrel, mag, etc.) if you're really concerned about it.

Lastly, if price is any kind of concern, get the best pistol you can afford in a caliber you can afford to shoot the most of. A $400 glock (if that works for you) in 9mm and a couple thousand rounds is far better than a crappy .45 with 250 rounds. I'm plenty happy with my M&P9 and 17 rounds.

I'd prob grab my glock 17 (my bedside gun) because its dead reliable I have a shitload of ammo and spare mags for it. Plus it already has an extended slide release, trijicon nite sites, tungsten guide rod, 3.5 trigger and an insight M3 on it. That and other than .22 it would be the easiest to find ammo for.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k204/stangsn95gt/9b87aa0f.jpg

This right here. I don't currently own a G17 (:masturboy:), but do own a G19, and that is what I would consider my go-to gun.

BTW, there is no such thing as knock-down power. This isn't the movies where people go flying backwards 10ft when hit with a round. It pokes a hole in them and that's it. Bullet design dictates how nasty your hole is, though.

Something dead reliable, in full size, that holds a lot of 9mm. There is something to be said about sticking with what NATO uses, makes in easier to scavenge if it comes to that. That being said, my only full size is a 1911, I want to get an m&p to join it

I carry what fits best that day so I can't say I have a primary. Though if I could only carry one pistol it would likely be a Glock 23. Power, good number of rounds, simple design.

I'm with Rob. I carry what fits my outfit. I'm a revolver guy and like the 357. Just last month I picked up a SW 649 which has a concealed hammer. I love it. I won't need more than 5 shots. If I do, there are other issues. I carry this during the week. I also like the Glock 19. I usually carry that if I'm out on a photo shoot or weekends.

I love my 1911...

That being said in a SHTF scenario I would have to go with a high capacity 9mm such as an xdm

Two reasons:

1. Throw that "it only takes one shot" logic out the window. We are talking SHTF. That might mean multiple threats at once.

2. After seeing one (an xdm) literally thrown in mud then trounced on, and shot perfectly without a field strip, I'm a believer. Hell my 1911 won't eat junk ammo, let alone deal with something like that

I'm with Rob. I carry what fits my outfit. I'm a revolver guy and like the 357. Just last month I picked up a SW 649 which has a concealed hammer. I love it. I won't need more than 5 shots. If I do, there are other issues. I carry this during the week. I also like the Glock 19. I usually carry that if I'm out on a photo shoot or weekends.

I think you and rob may have misread the question because you could def need more than 5 rounds and who cares about concealability in a SHTF scenario. Although for my EDC I def agree with carrying what you can conceal usually my glock 29

I think you and rob may have misread the question because you could def need more than 5 rounds and who cares about concealability in a SHTF scenario. Although for my EDC I def agree with carrying what you can conceal usually my glock 29

Kinda. If it was a SHTF scenario I'd carry both :)

Definitely misinterpreted the question a little. I'm not sure if my answer would change. Though I may err on the side of the G17 cause of that pic. :)

^ I was at powder room last weekend and held a G21...IDK if my hands are small (i know they're not large, but they're definitely not small), but that gun felt HUGE in my hand.

I carry a M&P 9c, 12+1 of hydrashocks... i trust it. i carry my keltec PF9 when i just want to throw something in my pocket...i'd like to sell it though and pick up a Kahr PM9.

^ I was at powder room last weekend and held a G21...IDK if my hands are small (i know they're not large, but they're definitely not small), but that gun felt HUGE in my hand.

I carry a M&P 9c, 12+1 of hydrashocks... i trust it. i carry my keltec PF9 when i just want to throw something in my pocket...i'd like to sell it though and pick up a Kahr PM9.

I did the same last time i was at Blackwing, asked to hold a 21sf, despite being a "slim frame" it still felt pretty big in my hands. Now im not a small guy and i would say i have average size hands but it did feel pretty large for a handgun.

I still havent picked up anything b/c of xmas and buying presents for other people etc... but ive narrowed it down to G17, Sig SP2022, or M&P9, all in 9mm, all large handguns. For now the purchase is on the back burner though.

On topic, for the scenario your talking about you definitly want the caliber that is widely used by everyone (law enforcement, military, civilians alike) and you definitly want something that will shoot and not be pickey about junk ammo or dirty conditions. I would go with a Glock 17.

My Glock 21SF has to be one of my more favorite Glocks I have owned. Never been picky with ammo by anymeans, and 13 rounds of .45ACP is a nice change.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt236/Scotty_Sapper/1324010977.jpg

350 rounds of 230 grain FMJ's she gets a lil' dirty.

What type of light is that?