harley or duc

rusty 996

Of course on instinct I vote duc. However. 1098 as a street bike? You'll regret that. the 996 and the 1098 are great track bikes and not horrible on the street but honestly in my opinion they aren't much fun on the street. Ergonomics is not comfortable for street, superbikes feel unstable until your going well over the speed limit and all the ducs with the underseat exhaust are like riding on a toaster in the summer time. They do look and sound awesome. I'd get a duc but I'd look at something more like a monster, the new street fighter, the hypermotard or even the multistrada if you are buying it primarily for street riding. Either way ditch the harley. They are for sissies and ride like tractors. Just sayin.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the Duc man! You'll pick up skinner chicks lol j/k

LOL, maybe not skinnier but either they will be thinner or not look like a baseball mit riding on the back of your bike.

Not that I have ever seen any of that sort of thing on the back of a harley at say.... QSL on wednesday nights.

talkin about overpriced bikes. I know that duc's are very well made. but common. 25,000 for a damn sport bike that is not fun to ride after a couple of hrs. no much sense to me. yes they are sexy 2. but that lil skinny girl is gonna ride on the back of that thing for mor that a min and she'll be like you got a harley thats got a backrest that i can lean against and not have to worry bout gettin burnt ass on.

Of course on instinct I vote duc. However. 1098 as a street bike? You'll regret that. the 996 and the 1098 are great track bikes and not horrible on the street but honestly in my opinion they aren't much fun on the street. Ergonomics is not comfortable for street, superbikes feel unstable until your going well over the speed limit and all the ducs with the underseat exhaust are like riding on a toaster in the summer time. They do look and sound awesome. I'd get a duc but I'd look at something more like a monster, the new street fighter, the hypermotard or even the multistrada if you are buying it primarily for street riding. Either way ditch the harley. They are for sissies and ride like tractors. Just sayin.

Sportbikes feel unstable when riding at slower speeds??? Huh?? You can stop a sportbike and keep it straight up and down with feet on the pegs forever due to them being so balanced...

Sportbikes are fine for the street, too. It's all what you prefer. Cruiser guys think sportbikes are uncomfortable because they ride cruisers so much. Sportbike guys think cruisers are uncomfy because the same thing. Naked bike owners prefer the design and relaxed position for similar reasons. It's all what you want and seek.

What I cannot understand is why someone obviously with money would buy a 1098 when the 1198 is out and a better machine. Plus, an HD and a Duc 1098/1198 are so polar opposites that I cannot see why it is a tough decision... They are going to suit a certain aspect you want and there's no comparison...

My opinion is buy what you want and what works. If it were me? I'd sell the 996 boat ancor and get a 1198 and keep the HD. 1098s are awesome track bikes (well, the S and R is...) and the 1198 is sure to be the same. 996s are cool as they are old school looking and suit the historians, but get the new stuff. They are so much better machines in terms of handling and performance...

I've ridden superbikes on the street and much prefer the upright riding position and lower gearing for the street as apposed to the superbike. Vice versa on the track though. Just my opinion.

+1 on get the 1198 rather than 1098 though. Might as well get the extra power and newer stuff.

Edited by vw151

Lizard1 does make a good point. You need to look very hard at what kind of riding you'll be doing. These two are polar opposites and both can't possibly fit your needs unless it's just going to be a garage queen.

But I have to say, I have never heard a sportbike guy say a cruiser is uncomfortable.

Lizard1 does make a good point. You need to look very hard at what kind of riding you'll be doing. These two are polar opposites and both can't possibly fit your needs unless it's just going to be a garage queen.

But I have to say, I have never heard a sportbike guy say a cruiser is uncomfortable.

talking with rusty, he said that the 996 is his track/twisty bike, and the harley is for cruising the streets when you dont need the superbike capabilities...made sense to me. but two ducs in the garage would be awesome :D

the hog replace my car during season to ride around my business.some days i put over 100 miles,and i ride every day if not rain.i got the best job i ride and make money same time.

do you plan to use the 1098 for the same sort of riding?

sorry but this bikes are not my style.either i go with another duc or i keep the hog,anybody want to buy it.996 is my baby, not going anywhere,soon as they fix the speedometer cable i make pics so you know why.

First you don't like my bikes (in favor of a harley no less), then post with little regard to the English language, and after that you make me feel dumb for working in a cubicle. That's it! I wash my hands of this thread!

:dunno:

First you don't like my bikes (in favor of a harley no less), then post with little regard to the English language, and after that you make me feel dumb for working in a cubicle. That's it! I wash my hands of this thread!

:dunno:

its funnier if you can hear his accent. reading his broken english is just frustrating without the accent going through your head.