Marcellus/Utica Shale

zeitgeist57

In case you've been living under a rock for the last year or more, there is a sh!t-ton of money being invested in Eastern OH, Western PA, WV for oil/gas shale infrastructure development. I've been working with some great companies experiencing amazing growth over the last few years.

There are definitely some concerns over fracking and other environmental effects, but I am personally very happy to see a depressed area seeing such a resurgence. Check out Halliburton's latest investment in the area:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=framelink&link=business-journal.com%2fhalliburton-makes-play-for-utica-hub-p20632-1.htm&oas=business-journal.com_halliburton-makes-play-for-utica-hub-p20632-1.htm

FYI, from some very smart people, it's obvious that this is 50-year economy development, not some 5-7year real-estate "bubble" bump in economic development...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money comes up out of deep underground.

Some money spills around on the local area.

Money travels up and away to foreign-owned oil company countries.

Locals go back to being poor.

The end.

You forgot the part were locals get sick from contaminated ground water

The only people that are for this "development" in the area are the ones who are benefiting it.

Destroying the water in the area and for 100s of miles. Not happy about this shit at all.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/11/14/367772/kasich-oil-gas-most-ohio-donations/

Gotta love John Kasich. No hidden agenda for this guy. Just a stand up guy. :gabe:

Gotta love John Kasich. No hidden agenda for this guy. Just a stand up guy. :gabe:

At least he's being completely transparent about how everything he's doing is for the sole purpose of benefitting his business cronies and ensuring him a fat private sector salary when he leaves office.

I hate to say it but its going to happen either way. The American citizens who are opposed to it dont have the power to prevent it from happening. It's just too much money and too many jobs involved for the elected officals to stop it. Now I know a lot of people in the Warren/NE Ohio area who will probably profit pretty well off this and no ones complaining in that area. Edited by Big Chief201

Wow. You people bitch about Kasich and fracking environmental hazards (when Strickland never did anything environmentally meaningful to stem the growth of Delvonian/Utica/Marcellus extraction during his tenure) should go move to China and figure out a way to fix a problem 1000x worse.

Do yourself a favor and stop typing on your Chinese-made electronic equipment for now... let me know when you're done being a hypocrite ready to embrace SOME economic development in an impoverished area.

Wow. You people bitch about Kasich and fracking environmental hazards (when Strickland never did anything environmentally meaningful to stem the growth of Delvonian/Utica/Marcellus extraction during his tenure) should go move to China and figure out a way to fix a problem 1000x worse.

Do yourself a favor and stop typing on your Chinese-made electronic equipment for now... let me know when you're done being a hypocrite ready to embrace SOME economic development in an impoverished area.

:popcorn:

Edited by Rustlestiltskin

Wow.

Do I want economic development in the area. Hell yeah. Do I want them to fuck up the environment doing it. Hell no.

If you wanna go the route of chinese-made equipment. I would rather see these industries in OUR country producing products for us. That has nothing at all to do with fracking and is a entirely different thread all together.

They have not done enough research to gather these resources safely. They are rushing into this way to fast and the water supply and the people in the area are going to pay.

I would love to see everyone benefit from improved economic conditions in Ohio. But if they destroy the large amount of water that is East of columbus in the lakes and rivers in the process its not worth it.

http://www.publicnewsservice.org/index.php?/content/article/23656-1

I mean seriously the EPA cannot regulate the chemicals being put into the wells to and they have not completed a study on the long term effects.

Here are some facts from a engineering standpoint. Very long video but I watched it a few months ago. Well worth the time if you have a personal interest in this.

1 hour 17 minutes 56 seconds has some interesting info. Brine/frack fluid come to surface and spewed onto the land for a week.

straight.

He also gets into the human mistakes that can be made.

I'm surprised this died so quickly, especially with the above emotional outburst.

Prediction: Nothing Kasich does in his term as governor will ever been look at in a positive light. Fuck him and fuck anyone who voted for him.

He's done some positive things, but if you're a liberal democrat you're not going to like him.

People are greedy and if there are valuable resources they will be exploited eventually. If your shit doesn't get fracked now, your kids will frack it, or their kids, and they will enjoy the profits/consequences.

Or we could all just install solar panels, wind turbines, and generators and then the coal would be worthless? Is that what you're going for?