Does Anyone Have Experience With a Sick Dog?

Bigbird

My Husky seems like she's got a cold. Her nose is runny, and she seems to be snorting her mucus kind of like a human would if they were going to spit it out. She's been sneezing as well. Also, when she yawns, she's not opening her mouth as wide as usual or sticking her tongue out. Leading me to believe she's got a sore throat.

Now before you say, "call the vet," I did and they aren't open today. I'm not even sure if this warrants a visit to the vet, or if it will just run it's course. I don't want to take the chance though, so any input is very much appreciated.

We have always let them get through things like this, although ours have never had as many issues at the same time. Runny noses, ear infections, etc.

Might want to take the pup in when you can, but I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure there is water available, etc.

We have always let them get through things like this, although ours have never had as many issues at the same time. Runny noses, ear infections, etc.

Might want to take the pup in when you can, but I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure there is water available, etc.

Thanks for the quick reply. The reassurance is comforting, haha I can't imagine how I'll feel if I ever have a kid. If the vet isn't open today, I'll assume they won't be open tomorrow either. If she's still acting like this on Monday then I'll make an appointment for sure.

PM LJ and have him ask his lady who is in vet school.

Might be worth a check up anyway. Rascal Unit might be a little booked but worth a call. If you want to wait it out, I wouldn't let it go more than a week or two from when it all started. The red flags for me would be if he/she gets lazy, won't eat/drink or things get much worse. I cold is a virus but you don't want it to become a major respiratory issue.

Edited by TTQ B4U

Maybe its just me but dogs are pretty proficient at not dying...espeshly from a cold. No doubt that shes misserable but unless there are GI issues or this is a chronic/long lasting deal, shell get over it on her own.

To me, the notion of taking your dog to the vet for a cold is goofy.

She has been pretty lazy all day. She's actually eating a bit right now, and I've been giving her ice cubes all day. I don't think a shower or anything would work, it takes two of us to keep her in the tub for baths hahaha.

When you take a hot shower keep the door closed and the exhaust fan off and lock her in the room with you. Breathing in the steam may help a little.

She has been pretty lazy all day. She's actually eating a bit right now, and I've been giving her ice cubes all day. I don't think a shower or anything would work, it takes two of us to keep her in the tub for baths hahaha.

keep an eye on food and water intake. she should urinate several times a day if she's getting enough fluids. if she doesn't, just like in humans, the congestion will get worse.

PM LJ.....if he's like most, he has a smart phone that will ping him with your PM. I'm sure he'd see your note and login to provide feedback.

Dogs dont technically get colds per se. usually if there is somethign going on its an infection of some sort.

Water intake is the most important, more important than food when deciding if a dog is ill. if she has a big water filler (like one of those 5 gallon dealies) replace it with a bowl and add 2-3 cups of MEASURED water. If in the next 2-4 hours she doesn drink any of it, i'd be worried.

Lift her gums as well to see if they are bright pink. You can also push on her gums to see if they quickly return to pink quickly or stay white for more than 2 seconds..

Emergency vets are open on the holidays if thigns go bad, keep her near you so you can accurately monitor her actions. Also, my vet liked it when i took video of problems the dogs were having, case of anxiety that keeps them from showing symptoms when at the vet.

Canine "normal" body temperature range is 100.5 - 102.5 Fahrenheit (38 - 39.2 Celsius).

A body temperature below 100 or above 103F warrants a call to your veterinarian. Body temperature in dogs is most often measured rectally, ear thermometers can also be used, but it can be difficult to get an accurate reading. Gauging body temperature by the moistness of the nose or how warm the ears feel is not reliable.

Personally i use an ear thermometer- while not accurate they can give you a decent idea.

Drinking / Dehydration

It is of utmost importance for your pet not to become

dehydrated.

The Skin

The first test for dehydration is 'tenting' the skin.

Pinch the skin between your pet's shoulder blades and

see how quickly it springs back. It should go back in

less than 5 seconds. If the skin tent is prolonged, then

your pet is dehydrated.

The Eyes

Your pet's eyes will be sunken into their head. Specifically,

the eyes recede into the eye socket. It is often seen with

dehydrated cats.

Capillary Refill

Your pet's gums are the best indicator of dehydration. Lift your

pet's lips to expose the gums (pink tissue above the teeth).

Place your index finger on the gums and press your finger flat

to the gum. This temporarily squeezes blood in that spot out of

the small blood vessels (capillaries). When you lift your finger,

the blood should return in less than 2 seconds. This response

will be delayed in a dehydrated pet.

Gum moisture

The gums often feel dry and tacky in a dehydrated pet. When you pull

your index finger away from the gums, it should feel wet, and easily

slide away. In a dehydrated pet, your finger will stick to the gums.

Possible solutions

ON THE ROCKS

Some dogs will readily lick ice cubes when they are dehydrated,

even if they are reluctant to drink water. Float the ice in their

water bowl.

SQUIRT IT IN

Pets that are more severely dehydrated will benefit from additional

electrolytes. 'Pedialyte' is an oral electrolyte re-hydration

supplement for children. A needle-less syringe or a turkey baster

works well. Insert the tip into the center of your pet's mouth.

Tilt his head back, hold his mouth closed and squirt in the fluid.

A safe rule of thumb is to give 30 ml (2 tablespoons) per 10 lbs of

weight every hour.