While the country was celebrating...

RC K9

Obama says, "I want to clarify that my Administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens. Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a Nation."

:gabe:

"Obama says, "I want to clarify that my Administration"

Meaning it won't happen within the next yr, since he's not getting reelected.

"will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens."

Meaning when it does happen there will be a finite time, but it may be 20 years it may be more.

"Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a Nation."

Traditions and values? Wtf its a GD constitutional right.

"Obama says, "I want to clarify that my Administration"

Meaning it won't happen within the next yr, since he's not getting reelected.

"will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens."

Meaning when it does happen there will be a finite time, but it may be 20 years it may be more.

"Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a Nation."

Traditions and values? Wtf its a GD constitutional right.

So what did you think :gabe: meant in my post?

I'm still curious if this suspends Posse Comitatus Act. What's funny is that it only pertains to the US Army and US Air Force. The DoD has just a regulation prohibiting the USMC and Navy from acting aswell. There is loopholes to everything, so it doesn't suprise me. I believe 1BCT 3ID out of Ft.Stewart is the acting QRF (Quick Reaction Force) for Homeland Security. Don't know if that still holds true today, but a few years back they were gearing them up for that role.

Yikes. Last time I remember discussing the Patriot Act I read a bunch of "catch terrorists, safety, post 9/11 Murica, blah blah blah" and all was well. Now NDAA, and it's all "constitution, losing our rights, blah blah blah".

Vote Ron Paul.

There were a lot of us squawking about the Patriot Act, but we were drowned out by the cries of the public and their officials to jetison our rights "temporarily" to catch the bad guys. You see how temporary that suspension of Constitutional rights was. Truth be told, it probably did make it easier to catch terrorists. But look at the price we've paid. It has started an erosion of our rights as citizens. Just last week I listened to a story on NPR about Homeland Security going after importers of knock-off designer handbags. Was that the threat that people had in mind when they went along with laws giving them special arrest and detainment powers?

Our Federal government consumes more and more of our personal resources trying to undo problems of the government's own making.

I was for Ron Paul when it was considered ridiculous to support him:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1351696&postcount=6

It's a little less ridiculous now, and I'm still a fan.

Full article from CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/31/politics/obama-defense-bill/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

In particular, the legislators added language to make clear that nothing in the bill requiring military custody of al Qaeda suspects would interfere with the ability of civilian law enforcement to carry out terrorism investigations and interrogations in the United States.

The House approved the bill on December 14, and a 86-13 vote in the Senate the next day completed the necessary congressional action.

At issue was the president's authority in deciding whether people detained in terrorism investigations would be held in military or civilian custody.

Sen. John McCain of Arizona, the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, said the legislation includes a "national security waiver" that allows the president to transfer a suspect from military to civilian custody if he chooses.

"I want to clarify that my administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens," Obama said in a statement Saturday. "Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a nation."

Obama said a section of the bill provides the "executive branch" with broad authority on military custody for non-citizen detainees.

"Ultimately, I decided to sign this bill not only because of the critically important services it provides for our forces and their families and the national security programs it authorizes, but also because the Congress revised provisions that otherwise would have jeopardized the safety, security, and liberty of the American people," the president said Saturday.

If I decide to vote this election, unless something crazy happens, its gonna be Ron Paul FTW!

People think he is nuts, I think he is the only one I saw in the republican debate with any sense.

How many of you are doing something to promote positive change and prevent things like this from happening again in the future?

How many of you are answering the above question by saying Im voting for a different president to fix the problem?

How many years has our government dug us deeper into a hole?

After years of failed presidents why do people still think voting is enough to make a real change?

...Until we have enough people willing to get their hands dirty we will continue be a group of complainers getting ass raped while posting on the internet.

How many of you are doing something to promote positive change and prevent things like this from happening again in the future?

How many of you are answering the above question by saying Im voting for a different president to fix the problem?

How many years has our government dug us deeper into a hole?

After years of failed presidents why do people still think voting is enough to make a real change?

...Until we have enough people willing to get their hands dirty we will continue be a group of complainers getting ass raped while posting on the internet.

+1

The government will continue to steamroll and extenguish our rights as long as we let them. I'm not calling for a revolution but we have to be willing to do more than sit on our couches and complain.

+1

The government will continue to steamroll and extenguish our rights as long as we let them. I'm not calling for a revolution but we have to be willing to do more than sit on our couches and complain.

Revolution is what it will take.