Anyone have kids Ice Skating Stuff they no longer use?

TTQ B4U

Wife and i are signing our 8.5yr old son and 5.5yr old daughter up for ice skating and I wanted to check here if anyone has skates or what not that they no longer needed?

Any tips or thoughts on what we should buy or might need that we may not have been aware of?

Insight appreciated.

I was a competitive figure skater for 14 years and a coach. I would recommend 2 sets of gloves (the cheap $1 ones are fine). They will fall and patches of ice are pretty wet so they can switch them out when they get wet. I would recommend leggings underneath sweatpants (so they aren't too thick and still be able to move around) and a long sleeve with a sweatshirt. Surprisingly kids get hot doing this so the long sleeve will still cover in case they fall. If they are really clumsy, a helmet. A lot of kids wear them especially if they aren't getting the hang of it. Not sure if you are taking them to the Chiller but last time i was there they only had half sizes so bring 2 thick pairs of socks just in case.

I was a competitive figure skater for 14 years and a coach. I would recommend 2 sets of gloves (the cheap $1 ones are fine). They will fall and patches of ice are pretty wet so they can switch them out when they get wet. I would recommend leggings underneath sweatpants (so they aren't too thick and still be able to move around) and a long sleeve with a sweatshirt. Surprisingly kids get hot doing this so the long sleeve will still cover in case they fall. If they are really clumsy, a helmet. A lot of kids wear them especially if they aren't getting the hang of it. Not sure if you are taking them to the Chiller but last time i was there they only had half sizes so bring 2 thick pairs of socks just in case.

Good info :thumbup:

Yes, we have them signed up for lessons at the Chiller.

If you're going to get them into ice hockey don't spend a lot of money on skates til their feet are about to quit growing.

There are ice hockey skates and figure skating skates.

Get the skates baked at a pro shop after you purchase them.

Tie their skates TIGHT on their feet.

Don't walk on concrete with ice skates.

Be sure to keep the blades sharpened. I would say once every 5 hour skating session.

They probably won't get cold out there.

Get them some proper gear for what they'll be doing. Helmet, gloves, knee or elbow pads. MOUTH GUARD!!!!