Track/HPDE Interest?

Irish M5

I'm in schedule depending. I try to do one track day per year, along with the usual 10+ AutoX's/year. 10/10th's and Chin's trackdays work better for me because they are usually only 1-2 day events versus SCCA, NASA which require the entire weekend and finding accomodation, etc.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done several events with Trackdaze, and they're running events at VIR in March and May. Since I moved back to Ohio I've only done Summit Point events with them, but my (DC area) friends are itching for something new and I've been considering pitching one of the VIR events to them, although I'm not looking forward to yet another 7+ hour drive in the ol' trackrat.

https://www.trackdaze.com/

Take a look at the dates and PM me if you're interested. I'm on the fence about making the drive but if there's going to be a crew going that'll make it a lot more tolerable. VIR was my first track and I haven't gone back since, so it might be nice.

I do NASA and have seen Richard (Das Borgen) out there. I too want to go to VIR or Watkins this coming season. I think NASA does Mid Ohio in April, usually cold, but the turbo likes it.

Prices for NASA

$45 yearly membership

~$220 Fri only

~$360 for Sat/Sun 4 sessions per day at 20 min

Track is cheaper then Parking Lot Racing (Auto X). Also faster, longer seat time, and you don't have to stand around a hot tarmac in the sun.

Auto X: $30/ 6 min driving = $5 per min

Track Day: $360/ 8 sessions x 20min = $2.25 per min

http://www.adamdaley.com/max/mr2/MidOhio/mr2tracksti.jpg

You have a higher change of wrecking your car on the street.

Track:

Everyone goes same direction

No trees, telephone poles, deer

Everyone is driving, no texting, drinking, messing with children

Cars are mechanically sound

Corner workers keeping eyes on the next turn for you

Never had anyone in HPDE Groups hurt their cars.

One guy in a corvette with a big set complained that traction control was slowing him down (first time on the track in time trials with this car). Turned it off and flipped it at Mid Ohio.

Never had anyone in HPDE Groups hurt their cars.

Really? I think I've seen, on average, 1 wreck per day at all the HPDEs I've done. Off the top of my head, in the last year alone:

Supercharged Viper at Shenandoah in the rain (kissed concrete)

Incidental contact between SN95 Mustang and BMW at same event (dents all around)

Same Mustang into padded wall at same event (scuffed, no real damage)

Mk V GTI at Shenandaoh in the dry (needed a flatbed to get home)

Fox body on the skidpad (protip: if you're headed towards a hill, get off the gas)

Ion Redline at Nelson (smashed into tire wall at 80-ish, ambulance sent, Funday over)

Considering I only did 5 days last year, that meets my average. I'm also friends with a guy who put his 370Z into a wall at VIR his first time out.

I always advocate cheap cars for track toys for this very reason, although in the last couple of years track insurance has been getting more available and affordable.

Also, I was a passenger in a 944 that spun into a wall at 50mph or so at a PCA event. I've actually seen a fair amount of carnage given my short HPDE career.

Although, with 100+ cars at each event, one incident per day isn't really all that terrible. Totally acceptable, IMO, especially since I've never seen an injury.

Also, I was a passenger in a 944 that spun into a wall at 50mph or so at a PCA event. I've actually seen a fair amount of carnage given my short HPDE career.

Although, with 100+ cars at each event, one incident per day isn't really all that terrible. Totally acceptable, IMO, especially since I've never seen an injury.

Only snafu I've ever experienced was an idiot in a Corvette (why is it always Corvettes?) blowing up his motor and trying to drive back to the pits at Mid-O. From turn 6-turn 13 he laid down ALL his oil on the racing line before the car finally gave up. Moron couldn't understand why everyone was staring daggers while we waited 2 fucking hours to clean up half the track.

Also had an incident happen right in front of me......

I'm driving the black car passing the incident just after it happened.....car lost it's brakes and took out a brand new Boss 302.....guy just bought it a week previous....you can see the Mustang in China Beach just behind the dust....

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/294275_10150289554786497_658051496_8173768_2029431_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/299538_10150289554866497_658051496_8173770_5407111_n.jpg

Also had an incident happen right in front of me......

I'm driving the black car passing the incident just after it happened.....car lost it's brakes and took out a brand new Boss 302.....guy just bought it a week previous....you can see the Mustang in China Beach just behind the dust....

Still kinda burns me that the responsible party self-tech'd his car, ignored the brake fluid, and as a result this incident happened.

Still kinda burns me that the responsible party self-tech'd his car, ignored the brake fluid, and as a result this incident happened.

Yea. That just sucks.

I need to go different brake fluid in my car for sure. There have been numerous reports of Z4Ms running off and losing all brake function with OEM fluid.

for sure

Yea. That just sucks.

I need to go different brake fluid in my car for sure. There have been numerous reports of Z4Ms running off and losing all brake function with OEM fluid.

absolutely Kyle....might I recommend

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/accessoryDetail.jsp?ID=21

http://www.tirerack.com/images/brakes/search/medium/ate_superblueracing_BF.jpg

My track future for next year will all depend on if I get my bonus for 2011 and my job outlook at that time. If all are positive then the FD will get a roll bar, aluminum seats, harnesses, new tires, and brake pads. Even with all of that i'll still be driving the thing to the track so I'd say Mid-Ohio with PCA, BMWCCA, or NASA are the most likely, with some apperances at Nelson and Putnam as well.

Richard, in addition to the groups you mention the founder of Torqued Racing Solutions is on this forum and organizes a couple of lapping events every year at Putnam and Nelson. It's a very low key group to run with and provides quite a bit of track time. Those would be good events to look into doing as well this year.

http://torquedracingsolutions.com/

Andy

Thanks Andy, I'll look into it.

In for some track/HPDE goodness :)

Welcome Kyle and Ricard :)

Kale, have we met at Mid Ohio? Your car looks familiar.

I had a turbo charged Miata blow it's engine in front of me last year coming up over the blind left-hander just past the Honda bridge (T10A). It spewed oil all over the place and I ended up in the sand on the left before the right into Thunder Valley watching 5 cars slide by me. I was sure I was toast.

Go to 1min 40 and watch. I'm the white car on the right and the blue Miata is on the left. The video pauses with the cars circled.

Yea. That just sucks.

Kyle, you'll also need a different pad in addition to better fluid. Look into Hawk HT-10, PFC-06 etc. starting off. Not cheap but a significant performance and SAFETY factor.

Kyle, you'll also need a different pad in addition to better fluid. Look into Hawk HT-10, PFC-06 etc. starting off. Not cheap but a significant performance and SAFETY factor.

Good to know, I'll take a look into it.

Richard, you probably met him at QS&L last year. He was in attendance next to me:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252876_10150223285971497_658051496_7560776_1720770_n.jpg

SCCA track days are usually on Friday before a race weekend. No hotel necessary - Come for the day and have fun!

What exactly was the cause? I thought the front pads were upgraded with a big brake kit and the rears were stock and the rears went away... At least that is the story I heard. I also heard 'other' stories about those cars and the way they were driving (in the beginner group)...

In low HP cars you don't need spacial brake fluid. I run .3 autozone crap in my ITA Civic with Carbotech pads on the front and stock shoes in the rear. I get to 120 on the back straight and I hit the brakes at 200. No brake ducts and my brakes do fine for a complete race weekend. Most race weekends - I don't even bleed the system... And I run 1:44-1:45 on the club course and 1:42-1:43 on the pro course. Not bad for 132hp/111tq. :)

I do NASA and have seen Richard (Das Borgen) out there. I too want to go to VIR or Watkins this coming season. I think NASA does Mid Ohio in April, usually cold, but the turbo likes it.

Prices for NASA

$45 yearly membership

~$220 Fri only

~$360 for Sat/Sun 4 sessions per day at 20 min

Track is cheaper then Parking Lot Racing (Auto X). Also faster, longer seat time, and you don't have to stand around a hot tarmac in the sun.

Auto X: $30/ 6 min driving = $5 per min

Track Day: $360/ 8 sessions x 20min = $2.25 per min

http://www.adamdaley.com/max/mr2/MidOhio/mr2tracksti.jpg

This math makes me miss California. I ran with Extreme Speed Track Events at Streets of Willow this summer. No membership fees, one day, 10, 20minute sessions was $105. Mid Ohio is fun, but for the money, running at SOW was much more memorable for me. NASA is more expensive, and has less track time because there are 100's of people that show up at every event. Extreme Speed capped their day at 75ish people/4 run groups.

I remember telling him that was unsuitable the very same morning of that day

I can't believe his car's forum told him it would be fine to run on stock fluid with a 300hp/2900lbs car....even though it was his 1st time

This math makes me miss California. I ran with Extreme Speed Track Events at Streets of Willow this summer. No membership fees, one day, 10, 20minute sessions was $105. Mid Ohio is fun, but for the money, running at SOW was much more memorable for me. NASA is more expensive, and has less track time because there are 100's of people that show up at every event. Extreme Speed capped their day at 75ish people/4 run groups.

Track time in CA seems to be more accessible and less expensive.