I'm done being nice

Cordell

I fully understand where you're coming from. Before I left MA to move out here I was probably one of the best PC techs in my area. But I just got burnt out on it because people would *expect* me to fix their shitboxes for them for little to no money.

So now I play dumb when it comes to computers and keep my mouth shut when PCs come up in discussion. I build my own and keep my own running. Everyone else can do what I did and learn themselves or fucking pay shop rate for it.

It's also why I'm not fixing cars but just selling parts.

Great story I heard, and probably fake, but it illustrates how people don't understand skilled labor:

A great painter (forget which) was sitting in the park sketching when he was recognized by a woman passing by:

Woman: Oh! I know you! You're that great painter! I would love to have you draw a picture of me!

Painter: I would be more than happy to, ma'am.

He looks at her for a moment then in seconds he creates a drawing with just a couple strokes of his charcoal pencil. He signs it and hands the drawing to her.

Woman: Oh my god! This is wonderful! You captured my very essence with just a couple strokes of your pencil!

Painter: I'm glad you find the drawing to your liking. That will be $3000.

Woman: What? $3000! Why it only took you seconds to draw this!

Painter: No, ma'am, it took me my entire lifetime to draw that.

PM'ed with question about how to fix my PC for free.

:gabe:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I regret to say it but the only people that will take any meaning from your post are those that also feel the way that you do for their particular skill set- the ones you intended it for will either come up with more devious ways of using your skills or move on to another that has not had his or her fill yet until you are recharged and ready for more use.

You may want to read some Ayn Rand and analyze the candidates very carefully in the 2012 election...

Maybe if you would have spent more on your engagement ring you wouldn't need other friends... hehhehe just playing....

I regret to say it but the only people that will take any meaning from your post are those that also feel the way that you do for their particular skill set- the ones you intended it for will either come up with more devious ways of using your skills or move on to another that has not had his or her fill yet until you are recharged and ready for more use.

You may want to read some Ayn Rand and analyze the candidates very carefully in the 2012 election...

Maybe if you would have spent more on your engagement ring you wouldn't need other friends... hehhehe just playing....

Didn't think a few of those posts would stick out in someones mind about me, but I guess I've defined myself by being fairly open about my opinions.

My wife got as big a kick out that engagement ring thread as I did.

Didn't think a few of those posts would stick out in someones mind about me

lol I am going to have to do some searching now to see what I may have hit upon ;-)... I was using only this thread and my own experiences in my reply- well, other than the engagement ring thread joke as I participated in that one.

I feel you man, I only hear from people when they are either 1. Needing help diagnosing their car, 2. Need help working on their car, 3. Need a place to work on their car or 4. Need a part and are too lazy to find it themselves. I just got a small shop space and all of a sudden I have so many friends again that its ridiculous. Its to the point that I litterally had to make a rules list and a price list cause I got tired of people bitching about the price I give them.

On the flip side scott the only thing thats worse is when you have spent $$/time in services helping a friend never charging a dime and the first time he helps you with a minor project you ask the old courteous question "do I owe you anything" and he says yes, $300. This happens on a regular basis for me as well. Guys I have done thousands of work in free skilled labor only to charge me for 5 mins of their time.

On the flip side scott the only thing thats worse is when you have spent $$/time in services helping a friend never charging a dime and the first time he helps you with a minor project you ask the old courteous question "do I owe you anything" and he says yes, $300. This happens on a regular basis for me as well. Guys I have done thousands of work in free skilled labor only to charge me for 5 mins of their time.

Man, this would piss me off. I'd tell em to get fucked and prolly not help them/be friends with them anymore if they charged me after I did free services for them.

Yep. To friends and family, I am the "computer guy" and "car guy". I don't hear from people for years, then all of a sudden their PC needs repaired or they need an opinion on a car purchase for their daughter/wife/hooker.

Do you give advice on hooker purchase/rental?

On the flip side scott the only thing thats worse is when you have spent $$/time in services helping a friend never charging a dime and the first time he helps you with a minor project you ask the old courteous question "do I owe you anything" and he says yes, $300.

This cost me a friend a few years ago. The shop did NUMEROUS favors for a guy, then we finally needed some electrical work done. We assumed it would be free like the work we did for him... $250 for < an hour. His excuse was union-something-something-union.

Fuck that.

I never charge friends when I do stuff for THEM. But, I don't really rush either. I'll be damned if I let them charge me if I ever need their help.

KillJoy

PS - My cars need washed....

This thread reminded me that I gave you a wheel for a hamburger and fries :lolguy:

This thread reminded me that I gave you a wheel for a hamburger and fries :lolguy:

:masturboy:

KillJoy

This cost me a friend a few years ago. The shop did NUMEROUS favors for a guy, then we finally needed some electrical work done. We assumed it would be free like the work we did for him... $250 for < an hour. His excuse was union-something-something-union.

Fuck that.

What a piece of shit friend. I haven't run into any friends like that soo far luckily.

Seems like you are the popular bitch or at least treated like that.. And I'm sorry man but if you let it happen more than once it's your fault. And if you let it get to you this much then you may need to flip the power button on the computer and live a bit more life.

Let me be clear as I'm not trying to flame you. And I do feel for you, as I have had the same thing happen. Chin up man!

Seems like you are the popular bitch or at least treated like that.. And I'm sorry man but if you let it happen more than once it's your fault. And if you let it get to you this much then you may need to flip the power button on the computer and live a bit more life.

Let me be clear as I'm not trying to flame you. And I do feel for you, as I have had the same thing happen. Chin up man!

Wow, thats heavy.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpvs6obNCt1qd7fas.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HUHXBirN5bE/TJAeHEWpxQI/AAAAAAAAACQ/Q7GU824Jbhc/s1600/fat+vampire.jpg

I understand where OP and others (ESPECIALLY computer people) are coming from. Its all the worse because cars and computers are 2 high-end items that constantly need attention.

I'm not an expert on either but I've helped family out with computer crap before. Usually it goes like this:

Uncle(for the sake of the example): "I have a virus. Internet Explorer (smh) is slow"

Me: "Ok let me look at your computer"

--looks at computer, sees 250 toolbars

--spends 4 hours finding out how to remove each and every one, or backing up essential files and doing a system restore

Me: "Looks like everything is back to normal, just don't click 'ok' every time a site asks you to download something. In fact, never download anything ever again."

Uncle: "Ok"

--6 months later

Uncle: "YOU BROKE IT, WHAT'D YOU DO TO MY COMPUTER ALL THE INTERNETS ARE SLOW AGAIN"

Me: "What? Let me see. Why are all these toolbars back?"

Uncle: "Well you told me not to download anything, but i needed XYZ program and it came with all these other cool programs. You must've done something when you 'fixed' it before because I never had this problem before you fixed it"

Me: (in my head) "never ask me for help again"