I'm done being nice

Cordell

I have become sick of being taken advantage of because of my mechanical ability, knowlege of cars, electrical experience, or outright desire to help people. I am tired of being called, PM'd and bothered only when someone wants me to do something for them. If you want me to work on your shit most of you know where I work and you can take it there.

This is in response to all the times I've been treated like I'm getting paid when I'm not, loaning parts that were supposed to be replaced, getting bitched at when I'm trying to help you, and outright wasting my time.

To the few people on CR who treat me like a real friend you know who you are and that this does not apply to you. I will provide my opinion in the tech section since its my option to post there. I'm only sorry that in trying to be nice and helpfull I've became so bitter, but when I realized how much less popular I'd be if I knew nothing about cars I stopped careing.

I wrote this for two reasons, the obvious, to say it, and so I don't have to repeat it.

• Upvote 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate when good guys get taken advantage of.

Fuck people.

:fuuuu:

KillJoy

I have become sick of being taken advantage of because of my mechanical ability, knowlege of cars, electrical experience, or outright desire to help people. I am tired of being called, PM'd and bothered only when someone wants me to do something for them. If you want me to work on your shit most of you know where I work and you can take it there.

This is in response to all the times I've been treated like I'm getting paid when I'm not, loaning parts that were supposed to be replaced, getting bitched at when I'm trying to help you, and outright wasting my time.

To the few people on CR who treat me like a real friend you know who you are and that this does not apply to you. I will provide my opinion in the tech section since its my option to post there. I'm only sorry that in trying to be nice and helpfull I've became so bitter, but when I realized how much less popular I'd be if I knew nothing about cars I stopped careing.

I wrote this for two reasons, the obvious, to say it, and so I don't have to repeat it.

I feel for you brother. I cant remember all the times I painted for someone when I thought I was getting paid because that was the deal going into it only for it never to happen because I was to nice. Its different if I did it for a friend and I agreed ahead of time I wasnt going to charge but you would be surprised at the amount of people who act like they never had the discussion with me prior to starting. Its just not worth it. I have agreed to paint for free as long as they pay gas money if they live far away and I dont even end up getting that. Sucks.

Wow, who does that.

I offer gas money for almost any trip I am on if I don't drive, let alone not paying for services for anyone but family and about 2 close friends.

I can't imagine not at least a thank you gift, food, gas money, handjob, something.

Wow, who does that.

I offer gas money for almost any trip I am on if I don't drive, let alone not paying for services for anyone but family and about 2 close friends.

I can't imagine not at least a thank you gift, food, gas money, handjob, something.

hmm what do you need done?

It's the profession though. Everyone needs a mechanic, It happens to us all. You don't talk to someone for 5-6 months and then they call to ask a favor.

I take it as a compliment. They need your skills to figure out a problem that they can't.

I offer free advise all the time, but don't take it personal that people need car help.

Hell I will go out of my way to help people fix things they can't afford to fix.

Sounds to me like the mechanic thing is turning into a job only for you, and not a hobby.

ill just leave this for you jones...

http://www.porridgehead.com/vortex/check-engine.jpg

to cordell, that sucks when you try to help someone else out that you get taken advantage of, sucks being a nice guy sometimes eh? errr, well you know what I mean

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I fully understand where you're coming from. Before I left MA to move out here I was probably one of the best PC techs in my area. But I just got burnt out on it because people would *expect* me to fix their shitboxes for them for little to no money.

So now I play dumb when it comes to computers and keep my mouth shut when PCs come up in discussion. I build my own and keep my own running. Everyone else can do what I did and learn themselves or fucking pay shop rate for it.

It's also why I'm not fixing cars but just selling parts.

Great story I heard, and probably fake, but it illustrates how people don't understand skilled labor:

A great painter (forget which) was sitting in the park sketching when he was recognized by a woman passing by:

Woman: Oh! I know you! You're that great painter! I would love to have you draw a picture of me!

Painter: I would be more than happy to, ma'am.

He looks at her for a moment then in seconds he creates a drawing with just a couple strokes of his charcoal pencil. He signs it and hands the drawing to her.

Woman: Oh my god! This is wonderful! You captured my very essence with just a couple strokes of your pencil!

Painter: I'm glad you find the drawing to your liking. That will be $3000.

Woman: What? $3000! Why it only took you seconds to draw this!

Painter: No, ma'am, it took me my entire lifetime to draw that.