Diesels WOO-HAH!!!

zeitgeist57

Nice, now if more automakers actually bring over the diesel versions of their cars to the US. Esp in the small to mid-sized car market. Would solve some of those federal MPG requirements.

The problem lies with the other federal requirements.

Gets a million MPG, doesn't pass smog test :yuno:

Safest car in the world, not enough headroom :yuno:

I got a bit excited when I saw it, as well. I think people have been a bit more read for it that they've thought. However, I don't think the Prii are going anywhere. Quite the contrary, the reason the hybrids are probably down is due to the wait for the new Prius lineup just being released. Especially, the new Prius C, which for under 20k is going to sell like hotcakes.

With VW coming out with the Jetta Hybrid soon, I will be curious if that trend changes.

I hope not, as diesel is a great alternative. Touareg TDI gets 28 mpg highway!

I wonder how long makers will 'go both ways'. If this'll be like a "Blu-ray vs HD DVD" thing or will both diesel and hybrid lines continue to grow and evolve? The problem with diesel is that it's been said it can't really be developed much more. It's reached it's zenith, so to speak. They always seem to find a way, though. So, who knows.

Our RAV4 v6 4x4 routinely gets 28+ highway. ;) Of course, it's almost 1500lbs lighter than the Touareg. lol

See sig for diesel love!

My best so far during the 50 deg weather was 50.8mpg up and down hills. My averages have been in the low 40s lately city and highway.

Love getting high miles!

I fucking love my 2012 Jetta TDI my wife is taking in the divorce. I'll probably buy a TDI Passat to replace it.

Toyota LOL

haha Awww, someone take the jokes between Jones and I in another thread too personally? ;)

I approve of this statement. Anything to save the gas for real cars.

This... seems like a silly statement. So, before I begin, I'll give you an opportunity to please explain what your definition is of a "real car"?

Also, I just came across this interesting bit of info. lol

Diesel Sales Up 27 Percent In The U.S., Says OEM-Sponsored Advocacy Group

“…diesels comprised 0.4% of the US car market, while hybrids were 4.3% of the market…If diesels gained 27% for 2011, then diesel sales now total a whopping 0.5% of the market. For every one sold, 199 other vehicles would have been powered by something else.”

I'll give you an opportunity to please explain what your definition is of a "real car"?

I think I can answer that for him.

http://www.moesrealm.com/img/bodykits/bride2.jpg:p

The VW XL1 is the only hybrid I've been excited over:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/2011-volkswagen-xl1-3_0.jpg

It's a two-seater with an 800 cc two cylinder turbo diesel. It can operate in electric-only mode for an averge of 22 miles. 0-62 mph in under 12 seconds, top speed governed to 99 mph. On the European test cycle it returned 261 mpg. Roughly translated to real-world U.S. driving, the estimate is that it will average 150 mpg.

It is confirmed to go into small-scale production next year but only in Germany. No word on whether it will come to the U.S. in 2014.

Article: http://www.plugincars.com/volkswagen-confirms-2013-production-xl1-plug-diesel-hybrid-109650.html

Motor Trend first drive of the concept, 3:30 video:

haha Awww, someone take the jokes between Jones and I in another thread too personally? ;)

This... seems like a silly statement. So, before I begin, I'll give you an opportunity to please explain what your definition is of a "real car"?

Also, I just came across this interesting bit of info. lol

Diesel Sales Up 27 Percent In The U.S., Says OEM-Sponsored Advocacy Group

“…diesels comprised 0.4% of the US car market, while hybrids were 4.3% of the market…If diesels gained 27% for 2011, then diesel sales now total a whopping 0.5% of the market. For every one sold, 199 other vehicles would have been powered by something else.”

Yes it was a pretty silly statement, kind of a half thought posted while I was at work. I should have said that even though I really don't like Prius' at least they save gas for the cars I do like to drive.