School Me on BMW 335xi 535xi & the N54

thorne

I'm considering getting one as a daily driver. Something I can do a base tune on and enjoy.

I've been looking at the 335 and 535. I've got a foundess for the 335xi coupe. I think its a good looking car and has the ability to hang if she needs to. 300+awhp and amazing tq.

I've driven a 135i and was very pleased with its performance. I'm hoping the 335 is similar.

I've read online but was curious if anyone on the board had one and could chime in on anything to watch out for.

http://accessecu.com/dyno/index.php?gb=0&hp=1&torque=1&rpm=1&sl=1&sln=1&runid1=1427&rgb1=000000255&runid2=1428&rgb2=204000000&runid3=1429&rgb3=000153000

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty good reliable engine, only gripe I have heard of is the high pressure fuel pump failure.

Check out e90post.com for more info. There is a pretty comprehensive section on the current pricing for new and preowned. Price will vary depending on the options/packages on the car. Good Luck, there is a reason they are called "the ultimate driving machine!"

http://www.e90post.com/forums/index.php

You'll need one with the sport package AND 18" wheels or you don't get the auxillery oil cooler. And with no cooler, that's a car you don't want. A 335xi with manual, sport, and 18" wheels is a fucking unicorn. Very rare, highly desirable. You can however find them with steptronic and the oil cooler.

The cars have 2 weak points and they're both related to the direct injection system. The HPFP tends to fail, but new revision pumps are more reliable. BMW has a 10 year 120k mile warranty on the HPFP and injectors. 2nd is carbon buildup. It's not nearly as bad as Audis of a few years ago, but it happens.

The cars will do 400whp with boltons, more with meth, and almost 500 with boltons+upgraded turbos+meth.

And get you 30mpg+ cruising 75 on the freeway. :cool:

Edit: Also, early N54 engines are rumored to use full forged internals.

Only difference between 07-08 is addition of CANbus to the OBD2 port, 09 for a facelift (LCI), 11+ switches to twin scroll, single turbo N55 engine.

if you get a 335 make sure the fuel pump recall has been done. also, look into the veh and see if it has an ESC or main plans on the veh or at least eligible for one. if you get one with low enough miles to where you can buy the ESC or MP you will save yourself a lot of money down the road. All of them have run flat tires if your going to daily drive it make sure you are ready for tire expenses. i believe if you buy it as a certified pre owned you may be able to buy the wheel and tire protection out of the gate and save yourself some money on those run flats. also, good year is on back order of tires so bmw owners are having a tough time getting new tires if they wanna run the manufacture tires. Like jaSSOn said above, if you can get one with an oil cooler that is plus, i may be mistaken but I believe you might be able to get the oil cooler installed from a dealer at no cost because of problems coming from it. overall i really like the car and can be a really fun car to drive.

I'd say go for it. Love mine. While i had my HPFP replaced, it never had any problems or long cranks. Carbon build is fairly bad but if you plan on running methanol it helps a lot.

Have JB4, DPs, intake. intercooler and meth will be installed soon. Haven't dyno'd it yet though. Its a completely different car when modified(for the better). Very easy to maintain/diy friendly as well.

I just cant picture you with bmw though lol

I like mine, it's not fast, but not too bad as a daily driver.

Get the one with "sports pkg" "cold weather"

It looks too plain without sport pkg seats, steering wheel.

Sports suspension doesn't do it for me, but again it's a dd.

Mines equipped with sports, cold weather,easy access, premium, Logic 7, Nav...etc ; Def over optioned, but Love the heated seats in winter, sport pkg seats with bolster, thigh, back adj.

Nav/control can be little laggy if you get the pre 09

Mine is rwd, but havn't had any problem in winter with snow tires. imo better traction in winter than Mercedes in terms of rwd/traction conbo

DIYs are easy enough for you, but some stuff I find it over engineered.

HPFP is covered for free, oil cooler I think you have to pay for it. very expensive but worth it.

assuming you are buying an used one, CPO is worth it in the long run, and as Taylor mentioned , get the one with Maintenance plan active.

Luckly I never had any problems with mine, HPFP already replaced under recall, and all the services/maintenance/loaner car were done for free under Maintenance Plan thanks to previous owner.

If you get the Auto, upshifting is fine but downshifting with steptronic might feel slow if you are used to manual/ SMG gearbox downshifting.

These cars are becoming more of a STI/EVO type of car, so watch out for "beat to hell" ones

I just cant picture you with bmw though lol

I like mine, it's not fast, but not too bad as a daily driver.

Get the one with "sports pkg" "cold weather"

It looks too plain without sport pkg seats, steering wheel.

Sports suspension doesn't do it for me, but again it's a dd.

Mines equipped with sports, cold weather,easy access, premium, Logic 7, Nav...etc ; Def over optioned, but Love the heated seats in winter, sport pkg seats with bolster, thigh, back adj.

Nav/control can be little laggy if you get the pre 09

Mine is rwd, but havn't had any problem in winter with snow tires. imo better traction in winter than Mercedes in terms of rwd/traction conbo

DIYs are easy enough for you, but some stuff I find it over engineered.

HPFP is covered for free, oil cooler I think you have to pay for it. very expensive but worth it.

assuming you are buying an used one, CPO is worth it in the long run, and as Taylor mentioned , get the one with Maintenance plan active.

Luckly I never had any problems with mine, HPFP already replaced under recall, and all the services/maintenance/loaner car were done for free under Maintenance Plan thanks to previous owner.

If you get the Auto, upshifting is fine but downshifting with steptronic might feel slow if you are used to manual/ SMG gearbox downshifting.

These cars are becoming more of a STI/EVO type of car, so watch out for "beat to hell" ones

I forgot you got rid of the Z06. Missed AWD ?

:megusta:

My parents just got their 135i back from Deutschland last month, that thing is great. I was amazed how easily it pulled in 6th gear at 60mph. Theirs is pretty much loaded, they wanted a 1M but the only dealer that would sell them one wanted $10k over sticker :lolguy:

The only gripe I have about BMWs is those fucking run-flat tires that ruin the ride. My dad's already looking at alternate sets.

i have a 335xi sedan, sport, 6mt, navi, cold weather package ect, yes the unicorn. got it for $25800 with 43k miles :D

i love it, though i probably wouldn't enjoy it as much if it wasn't a manual. In stock form its meh ok performance-wise, gets 25-26mpg on the highway though the readout lies and says 30mpg in city driving or when you get on it gas mileage drops fast.

put in a jb4 and the engine wakes up, pulls first gear like a bauce. stock i think people say it makes 260 to the wheels, put in a jb4 or like and get around 350whp.

other mods like dp and meth or race gas you will be in the 400-430whp range

car handles awesome throwing it into the curves, ride is a little ruff, the run flats suck (have 18" sports), my winter tires are non runflats and 17" so its a little smoother, less vibrations.

i got some cone filters im going to throw in and maybe my meth kit i have laying around.

people report running mid 13's stock and high 12's with a tune, and mid lower 12's with meth or race gas.

i got the 3 series cause i wanted something smaller, if you want more room get the 5, but it will be very very hard finding a manual with the 5. its hard enough finding one in the 3 series.

G35 & G37 = BLEHHH

Much rather have a 335 IMO.

True story. I've driven a G35 pretty hard a while back. Interior is boring, power is weak...no me gusta

It was a buddy's, he ended up selling it for a 3 series.

PS, if anyone is looking for a nice white 550i sport I know someone who is selling one.