Those who have replaced headliners

XChris1632X

I am getting ready to replace the headliner in one of my beaters. I went to Jo Ann fabrics to pick up some material but it was the shit that has foam backing. I dont know how easy that stuff would be to work around corners and such. I think I would rather just use the cloth alone. I am sure that replacing it will be easy. Any advice on which material to use and where to get it?

Back in the day I had a Pontiac Sunbird with a red interior. When the headliner came down my dad and I grabbed some red burlap from Joann fabric (it was cheap as hell is all we really cared about). Once we cleaned up the cardboard backer we used 3m spray adhesive and trimmed the fabric when the glue was dry. Worked fine, didn't look great, but didn't look bad. To me the color match would be more important than the type of fabric.

I apprenticed at a auto upholstery shop right out of hs. I primarily did headliners, the foam stuff is what you want. I have a complete write up on here from several years ago. I have a few hundred under my belt.

Wanna do a Fox Body with a Sunroof?

I also used blue fabric/foam backing with 3M spray adhesive from JoAnn on my '82 Chevy. That was 2007, in hot weather and in cold it still is holding up great and looks/feels like factory.

Make sure you use a straight edge/stiff-bristle brush to scrape all the loose crap off the header board before spraying on the adhesive. Spray both the board and fabric back, let it tack over 10mins or so, then press them both together. Easy as hairpie.

I also used blue fabric/foam backing with 3M spray adhesive from JoAnn on my '82 Chevy. That was 2007, in hot weather and in cold it still is holding up great and looks/feels like factory.

Make sure you use a straight edge/stiff-bristle brush to scrape all the loose crap off the header board before spraying on the adhesive. Spray both the board and fabric back, let it tack over 10mins or so, then press them both together. Easy as hairpie.

When did hairpie get easy?

Wanna do a Fox Body with a Sunroof?

The sunroof might give you fits. I wouldnt do it for you but I would help if I wasnt on lockdown for the next few weeks/months. When I am able to start helping people again I will check and see if you still need help. Go with good glue, thats my recommendation.

The sunroof might give you fits. I wouldnt do it for you but I would help if I wasnt on lockdown for the next few weeks/months. When I am able to start helping people again I will check and see if you still need help. Go with good glue, thats my recommendation.

Hopefully a little before spring

Use alot, alot of glue on both the material and board, allow them to get tacky almost feeling dry and then stick. Have a second person help you because once its together, it wants to stay together. Person on both sides holding the material up, start on one end and work it on, smoothing it as you go. Once its all smoothed, cut the edges leaving enough material to roll over the edge and up the other side about 1/2".