Nitrous Oxide VS Turbo for LSX

wagner

If youre short on funds and have a project car in sight, the economical choice is nawz. Have fun with a XXX shot while saving for your next project.

The way i look at cars is this; it could wreck, blow up, be stolen get shit on any time or any day and you automatically lose your investment. Do it right or dont do it at all.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah roots blower will not fit without cutting up the cowl...

On the car now:

~3500 stall

Headers and cat back

CAI

Tune (not that aggressive)

Lower control arms

Lower control arm relocation brackets

SFCs

Pan hard rod

BFG DRs

On deck:

9inch

Relocated torqe arm

In the hole:

LS6 intake with ported TB

how many miles on the motor and tranny?

Yeah roots blower will not fit without cutting up the cowl...

On the car now:

~3500 stall

Headers and cat back

CAI

Tune (not that aggressive)

Lower control arms

Lower control arm relocation brackets

SFCs

Pan hard rod

BFG DRs

On deck:

9inch

Relocated torqe arm

In the hole:

LS6 intake with ported TB

Not sure how much money is a concern for you since you're considering a turbo setup. But this is what I would do , buy a set of ported 5.3 heads, get a nice mid-range cam like a 224/228R, upgrade your fuel system (if not already done), and get a wet kit from harris speed.

If you do decide to go with a turbo setup though let me know, I know a guy down here that has an almost complete kit he may be willing to sell.

77K, stall has been in the car for about 2k. I did not even put 3,000 miles on the car last summer due to all the shit weather.

If it was me, with your car, driving as much (or as little) as you are...i'd go with a bottle.

and this is coming from a guy whos x2 street cars have had turbos.

Well I had nitrous on my lt1 f-body. Had a supercharger on my 5.0 fox body. I didn't like nitrous for several reasons. The low end torque is unbeatable but try hooking it to put it to use. I despise recurring charges and 40 bucks a shot for like 5 quarter mile passes drove me crazy. Bottle was never open when I wanted it to play around and remote bottle openers leak. Bottle warmer and gauge was also a pain and ruins the spontaneity. Jacobs nitrous mastermind was a royal joy to install and never worked properly. Finally the car feels Sloooooooooooooow off the bottle so it is very addictive. I loved everything about my supercharged except for the initial cost but afterwards it was soo worth it and I am a practical guy. If I were to ever modify my c5z it be with an ls7 or more likely a supercharger kit. I actually was going to buy an a&a kit for the ette when i found the gremlin instead. For the gremlin I am going to give turbos a try one of these days.

Been down this road. The only reason I'd use nitrous again would be to chill an intercooler.

No bottles to refill, no bottles to have open all the time, no cold bottles to warm.

2 perks: Low start up cost and the cooling effect.

Looked into an STS system?

http://ststurbo.com/camaro_ls1

Would be a lot easier to fit and I have seen some big horsepower ones before.

This is the route I was going to go myself until I got a superb nitrous kit for not more than a song. I figure if the car stays together through me spraying i'll prepare it for boost later.

Are you gonna build the bottom end? I have a D1 on my setup and bent the rods like pretzels on the stock bottom end around 600whp. The stock block and crank are fine for 1000 but the rods and pistons should be upgraded is you plan to make over 550.

Are you gonna build the bottom end? I have a D1 on my setup and bent the rods like pretzels on the stock bottom end around 600whp. The stock block and crank are fine for 1000 but the rods and pistons should be upgraded is you plan to make over 550.

Yes, I will upgrade to a built bottom end at a later date. I did not plan on turing it up very high until the motor was ready.

I've had a nitrous setup sitting in my garage since this summer... I'll let you know how it is when I put it on lol. I have about the same stock setup as you, but with a LS6 intake/cam and an M6.

I've had Nitrous on other vehicles and I never cried about filling the bottle up... if your going to be butt-hurt about that you might as well sell your car and take up golf.

Also, I know Turbo Chad is going to have his kits ready fairly soon...

Not really on a full weight car, you could do it if you went pretty aggressive, but i think Waggs wants to be somewhat adjustable with the power so he can index race.

I was looking at some of the combos guys are running with H/C and might do some additional research on that.

To index race the 11.00 range I just need to get the car down in the 10.90's.

I would need to put the car on a slight diet to get that done, and might have to go pretty aggressive with a cam.

I was looking at some of the combos guys are running with H/C and might do some additional research on that.

I would need to put the car on a slight diet to get that done, and might have to go pretty aggressive with a cam.

I'm assuming since you have other cars you dont need a/c and the such, so do yourself a favor and gut that bitch. Seeing as your car t tops and. What not, it would take a little more work, but I got my car down to 3000 and it still looks like I have a full interior. After talking to a couple of guys from comp, I told them just running the car off the converter, I wanted it in the mid 11's . After they did some reaserch or whatever they do, they gave me a cam recomendation, that let's just say isn't nearly as big as I was figuring I would need. That weight makes a difference.

With a mild H/C setup expect to go some mid to high 11s thru your 4l60. If your car is a 98-00 model the only bottom end work you will need to do is some ARP rod bolts and you're safe up to a 175 shot. Hell I even know guys running 250 shots on a stock bottom end LS1 with just rod bolts. A simple H/C/nitrous setup with easily get you into the 10s and you should see anywehre from 125-135 trap speeds. The turbo setup will have overall more potential but you're looking at a lot more maintenence and more tuning issues with the turbo, plus LS motors don't love boost like they love nitrous so you will most likely need to forge your bottom end if you want to get the same times or better with the turbo rather than the nitrous. My final conclusion is after having two nitrous cars is if you have the money to build it and maintain it, go with the turbo...much more fun and filling bottles is as annoying as it is pricey if you're racing often.

I don't think Wagner is going to be doing a bunch of street racing, so him having to refill bottles every Friday and Saturday night isn't going to be an issue. Rather, I interpreted what he's said as that he's doing this set-up for the track and has aspirations of going 10's, but wants to maintain as much streetability as possible. Nitrous seems to be the logical way to go. Your car loses nothing in the way of streetability with nitrous. Even a cam starts to affect streetability, let alone building the engine for a turbo, etc.

I don't think Wagner is going to be doing a bunch of street racing, so him having to refill bottles every Friday and Saturday night isn't going to be an issue. Rather, I interpreted what he's said as that he's doing this set-up for the track and has aspirations of going 10's, but wants to maintain as much streetability as possible. Nitrous seems to be the logical way to go. Your car loses nothing in the way of streetability with nitrous. Even a cam starts to affect streetability, let alone building the engine for a turbo, etc.

Bingo, might have to do a bottle a week, depending on what kind of race. If I am just going to hit trails on a wed. night it would be on all motor. I go to Indy for a race I will need 2 of the big ones.

This thread actually turned out better than I thought. Lots of good info being provided by people who have "been there done that" so it is relivant.

I still am doing some thinking and taking all of these ideas into consideration.

Bingo, might have to do a bottle a week, depending on what kind of race. If I am just going to hit trails on a wed. night it would be on all motor. I go to Indy for a race I will need 2 of the big ones.

This thread actually turned out better than I thought. Lots of good info being provided by people who have "been there done that" so it is relivant.

I still am doing some thinking and taking all of these ideas into consideration.

Maintaining streetability, IMHO, spray that bitch.

Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have left mine 100% stock, put a nitrous converter in it then hit it with a 150 or 200 shot. :fuckyeah: Not to mention the years of tuning, tweaking and changing parts to make it "work right" together. All the money i've spent swapping parts to date, I'd be way ahead to have left it alone and spray it.

One of the biggest reasons I never drive mine is the cam lope and noise. Hard to roll out of the garage at 4am and keep it quiet so the neighbors don't call the cops. It's not like I care, aside from the constant hassle.