Nitrous Oxide VS Turbo for LSX

wagner

Ok, I am getting to the point where I need to finalize what I am going to do with the car. Right now I am leaning toward boosting the car, but have not ruled out Nitrous 100%

I know the general pros vs cons of each but looking for more input and have been all over LS1tech on this. I am looking for input from locals who have been there done that.

The final goal with the car is the ability to click off mid to low 10s, able to still drive on the street to the track, no reliability issues. Now I know there will be some trade offs and the car won't have stock street manners, but I am ok with that.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm biased, you know what I could do with your car if you turn me loose on it.

Seriously though, you can do nitrous cheap enough and even switch to a turbo later, obviously a turbo has a higher up front cost, and nitrous will make up for it with bottle fills. They are both fun.

Even more seriously just get a damn turbo.

Seriously though, you can do nitrous cheap enough and even switch to a turbo later, obviously a turbo has a higher up front cost, and nitrous will make up for it with bottle fills. They are both fun.

I know what you could do with the car, and that is why I know if I put Nitrous on the car I would become an addict.

Good feedback so far.

Are you going to modify the engine to be a nitrous car, or are you just talking about adding nitrous to what you have?

If it's just adding to what you have, nitrous has to be way more convenient in terms of set up, etc. Bolt some stuff on and presto! - instant HP, torque, and fun.

Of course, there's always the pain in the ass of having to fill a nitrous bottle. And, once the bottle's out, it's out. Additionally, a turbo is always "on."

However, if it's me, and I just want to go 10's, I'd likely start out with nitrous and see if I could accomplish my goals that way. Way less time and money involved with nitrous. However, if that didn't work out, then I'd consider going the more labor-intensive (but likely larger potential gains) turbo route.

Are you going to modify the engine to be a nitrous car, or are you just talking about adding nitrous to what you have?

If it's just adding to what you have, nitrous has to be way more convenient in terms of set up, etc. Bolt some stuff on and presto! - instant HP, torque, and fun.

Of course, there's always the pain in the ass of having to fill a nitrous bottle. And, once the bottle's out, it's out. Additionally, a turbo is always "on."

However, if it's me, and I just want to go 10's, I'd likely start out with nitrous and see if I could accomplish my goals that way. Way less time and money involved with nitrous. However, if that didn't work out, then I'd consider going the more labor-intensive (but likely larger potential gains) turbo route.

I will be adding nitrous to the car as it sits now. The instant fix of nitrous is what keeps drawing me to it, but the cost of building a really good nitrous motor down the line is keeping me away.

This will be done it two steps when it comes to the motor:

1. Get power adder on car as it is.

2. Build motor for power adder that can deal with the wick being turned up

this ^

I plan on spraying mine into the 10's I hope. Then trying my best to take it easy, leave it be and prepare for a bigger upgrade later on when I feel like putting out the upfront $ for a full boosted setup.

I will be adding nitrous to the car as it sits now. The instant fix of nitrous is what keeps drawing me to it, but the cost of building a really good nitrous motor down the line is keeping me away.

This will be done it two steps when it comes to the motor:

1. Get power adder on car as it is.

2. Build motor for power adder that can deal with the wick being turned up

1. Go with nitrous.

2. Analyze results.

3. Make decision on what to do next given your results with nitrous.

This is a no-brainer to me, my friend.

There will always be big turbos out there waiting to be put on your car.

Sell your car and buy Brian's so he can Join the Mustang club.

Don't have the capital to make up the difference to buy his car, or I would have a while back.

Besides I already have some supporting mods for my build that I am not going to get rid of anytime soon.

I would get the turbo setup sorted out now and than when its time for big boy motor its all ready to go.

Nitrous works well and its cheap, always has and always will. LSx motors respond to it very well but a turbo would be WAY cooler and have a WOW factor and not a ehh factor

Nitrous works well and its cheap, always has and always will. LSx motors respond to it very well but a turbo would be WAY cooler and have a WOW factor and not a ehh factor

LISTEN YOU JERK IT'S SUPER COOL TO PULL INTO A PARKING LOT AND PURGE YOUR NITROUS LINES AND HAVE EVERYONE THINK YOU'RE A BIG TIME STREET RACER.

PSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH PSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

From an engineering standpoint, nitrous is everything boost is, already cooled.

With the proper means to control and manage it, can't see how you could go wrong.

This is a very good and valid point.

and yes purging is the awesomness.

LISTEN YOU JERK IT'S SUPER COOL TO PULL INTO A PARKING LOT AND PURGE YOUR NITROUS LINES AND HAVE EVERYONE THINK YOU'RE A BIG TIME STREET RACER.

PSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH PSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Or just idle in all quiet and innocent until its time to unleash the trans brake and anti lag

Well as you know I did have N2O on my Transam. I bought a kit real cheap then made it better. I did like it and made awesome power with the shot I was using. Problem was I never used it. Now I know you do a lot more track time then I ever have so you will get your uses out of it. Honestly if I could have went back I would rather do boost. I guess I like having that power all the time and not once in a while esp just driving around. Did Phil sell my old kit yet? That would be perfect for your car as I had the switches, brackets, and right size gauge made for the F-body.

...boost is ALWAYS there.....

:thumbup:

KillJoy

So are the headaches and cost that go along with boost. I know MANY MANY people that started into boosted cars, only for it to end up a never ending (or running?) project. Ahem see below. ;-) :lolguy:

or just do a complete turbo system then try to switch the tranny to hold the power but never finish it like me......