Places in Marysville to live...

DavidBaustert

That's my biggest concern for him. Even if it's not a year down the road, what if 5-10 years down the road he decides he wants a different job, which is pretty normal. Well now he has to get a job in the area, which greatly limits his job search criteria unless he wants to drive over an hour to work. Or have to sell the house and buy somewhere else. At least if he's between Columbus and Marysville it's still not a bad drive out to Honda and most of Columbus is accessible.

whenever you start a new career, its nice to be able to focus all your efforts on the career. when i moved to wisconsin, we rented a 1500sq foot ranch for my family of 5. if something broke in the house, we called the landlord. snow removal, grass cutting, landscaping---all on the landlord. the furnace goes out in the middle of the winter--call the emergency furnace repair and give the bill to the landlord. this gave me more time to focus on the new job, while we looked to where we wanted to buy/build.

in the end, we couldn't wait to build, and ended up buying an existing house. i waited almost a year to buy, though. getting rid of a big house in a smaller town is a bitch. i live in a city of 35k people. almost everyone is looking at smaller houses.

Holly shit, I didn't even look at it closely until now. Why would you even want a house that big? :confused:

So, I bought a house at 17, just over a mile outside of campus, for a considerably low amount of money. I've done some rehab work and lived in it all throughout college (5 years). It was financially cheaper than doing room and board through UD (Started at 35xx/ semester and is now around 42xx/ semester). For those of you who don't know, UD is now landlocked by Miami Valley Hospital and Oakwood. I've been in contact with the person in charge of housing procurement. They would, realistically, stuff 4-6 people in the house I live in currently, and collect 42xx/semester from each. That being said, I know how much this house is appraised at, as well as how much money UD can make off of it. They would likely sink 20-30k in vinyl siding and windows and the likes to accommodate the spoiled brat ass kids whose parents write checks for every week to party. I would, realistically, like to see 80k minimum from the house, in which UD would regain those losses in a matter of 1.5 semesters, minus utility costs of course. I hope to be able to come to an agreement with UD, as they have no where else to expand except my direction. I would most likely use this money to pay off a portion of student loans, and put a nice down payment on a house. I do believe I will ultimately end up renting somewhere, for at least a year, until I get a good feel for where I end up.

I work at honda, the east liberty plant and the advice i would give is that if you plan on buying, stay in franklin county if you like columbus. But if you want to live out in the country and don't like a long drive to work (like me) look in Logan or champaign counties, the property taxes in Union are excessive IMO.

My house is worth $140k and my close friend's house 10 miles away (union co.)is worth the same, both 2 acre lots. He pays around $3300-3400 in taxes a year, and i literally pay half of that.

just something to think about.

the property taxes in Union are excessive IMO.

My house is worth $140k and my close friend's house 10 miles away (union co.)is worth the same, both 2 acre lots. He pays around $3300-3400 in taxes a year, and i literally pay half of that.

just something to think about.

I teach at Marysville and their school system is great. It is not the Dublin or Olentangy, but it rivals that with a smaller feel. You probably don't have kids, but good schools help resale. Taxes are high mostly to pay for the schools, John Kasich took a most of tax money from Honda and it is now sent to the state level. I bought a house in May and wanted Marysville, but the commute was too far for the wife.

Now is a great time to buy cheap and in 5 years sell higher. Marysville Schools were seeing a 10% growth annually until 2007, people were moving up there like mad, then the recession. That will probably pick up to a small degree in the next few years.

In the last 5 years a lot of chains have moved up there, Roosters, Lowe's, Best Buy, Dunlees Sporting, Good Will, White Castle, Chipotle, Office Max, MC Sports, and some others. There is also a Walmart and Home Depot.

Great country living, small town feel, cheap properties, taxes are higher, but schools are great. It is only 20 min to Tuttle mall and I can entertain myself with working my property, fixing things, shooting things, I don't need a night life.