Bath Tub Inlay - Who's done one? wwcrd?

Berto

Well my bath tub is cracked due to the crappy craftsmanship, spotty support underneath. Either way I have decided to go the 'inlay' route for repair. Where the bottom of the tub is essentially replaced.

Option 1 - Pay installed ~$450 to $500 to install said inlay. With 1 year warranty.

Option 2 - Do it myself ~$150. No warranty obviously. Talked to the company that makes the inlays and they said that inlays are the only things they sell to do-it-yourselfers due to the ease. Confirmed that this is the same thing that the repair man is using in option 1. This includes injecting a resin or something to fill in the soft spot underneath.

I am worried it might look like crap. Was wondering if anyone here ever installed one of these.

http://www.napcoltd.com/products/32-tub-and-shower-inlays/

Well my bath tub is cracked due to the crappy craftsmanship, spotty support underneath. Either way I have decided to go the 'inlay' route for repair. Where the bottom of the tub is essentially replaced.

Option 1 - Pay installed ~$450 to $500 to install said inlay. With 1 year warranty.

Option 2 - Do it myself ~$150. No warranty obviously. Talked to the company that makes the inlays and they said that inlays are the only things they sell to do-it-yourselfers due to the ease. Confirmed that this is the same thing that the repair man is using in option 1. This includes injecting a resin or something to fill in the soft spot underneath.

I am worried it might look like crap. Was wondering if anyone here ever installed one of these.

http://www.napcoltd.com/products/32-tub-and-shower-inlays/

Looks rather straight forward. Not sure how they look, but it looks easy enough to do on your own.

They are aweful. You have to make sure there is ZERO gap between the bottom of the tub and the inlay. Also, law of dissimilar materials means that it will warp and bubble as different temps make the materials do different things.

I don't think you would have any issues with it. Today's polymers are capable of amazing things and really since this isn't an outside application with extreme temp changes I don't see it warping or anything. accept it for what it is, just a repair. I would think you could replace for for a few hundred bucks.