westerville city schools levy?

AWW$HEEET

pdqgp I agree with a lot of what you say. I wish there was a way to get rid of the underperforming teachers. I also question why some districts need five different administrators overseeing one department?

First a scenario then a question. Your special Ed teachers are under the same pay chart as all the other teachers. There are some people that said teachers pay should be merit based. So you have a special Ed teacher where she/he has kids that are wheel chair bound, are non-verbal, blind and partly deaf. How would she/he be graded on merit with a kid like that? Where you may see little to no improvement over the course of his life?

I’m trying to foster more discussion with the above scenario. Hoping to point out it isn’t as simple as people think to just make it merit based and be done with it.

All the schooling? a 4 year degree is "all the schooling"? Seriously? $26/hr with nothing more than a license and a 4 year degree is pretty fucking good.

Stating it as simple as I did might have lead you to believe that with just getting the minimum will get you a job right off the bat. If you are going in as a general Ed teacher with the bare minimums fresh from college you WILL be subbing for the first couple of years and I have no idea how little they make. Being that they only get paid for the days they cover you need the full time teachers to get sick and often.

I wish we had a actual teacher on here that could lend us his or her experience, with actual dollar amounts. Also going in to detail about how hard it was to get hired with what they did or didn’t have.

Edited by OrangeDot3083

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pdqgp I agree with a lot of what you say. I wish there was a way to get rid of the underperforming teachers.

Your wish would be granted if I were in charge. It's easy; Adminstrators should work with teachers to create their own performance criteria/merit based review plan. One that makes sense, looks out for the kids first and keeps the system whole. Put in a few checks and balances and then hold them accountable for their own performance as they wrote it. There are no wishes, only opportunities to get shit done. We just need people that will do it. Next issue.

Your special Ed teachers are under the same pay chart as all the other teachers. There are some people that said teachers pay should be merit based. So you have a special Ed teacher where she/he has kids that are wheel chair bound, are non-verbal, blind and partly deaf. How would she/he be graded on merit with a kid like that? Where you may see little to no improvement over the course of his life?
I am one of those people that believes a portion of a teacher should be based on performance. The answer to your question lies in the first sentences. There are no absolutes. If something doesn't work, change it. Should special ed teachers be on the same performance plan and pay scale? Perhaps not. Have those teachers write their own performance plan too. Next issue.

I’m trying to foster more discussion with the above scenario. Hoping to point out it isn’t as simple as people thing to just make it merit based and be done with it.
There's never just one component to a merit or performance based system. I have 6 KJA's in my role. 50% is revenue because of my role, then it goes in smaller %'s for the others. Still simple, never complicated and always created by those you are holding accountable. If you work with them to build it, then they will own it and be accountable to a plan they wrote. I was a key part of writing the criteria I'm judged on and I also was a 95% author of my own compensation plan. I own both and run the business like I own it, because in a sense, I do.

I'm a firm believer in having employees be a big part in authoring both their review process and comp plan. I've been doing it for years it just plain works beautifully. No longer do I hear people bitch about what happens to them, nor do my people feel in the dark or even fumble with questions. They know the rules and even formulated the plans. The main person holding them accountable is themselves through said plans that I approved.

It's about The SPEED of Trust. It's a great book. A key component to building trust is performance. Clearly the public doesn't trust the school system and a big portion of that lack of trust comes from the schools not performing.