westerville city schools levy?

AWW$HEEET

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty crazy that they'll have to cut everything

so will they run like a pay to play kinda system or what? I had to pay a couple hundred dollars a season to be on the rowing team in westerville to pay for boats/oars/coaching staff, etc.

I can see having to pay for an extracurricular sport like rowing, but I hate to see any school district offer less than what was offered to my parents in their day for free. It wasnt that long ago I believe westerville built a school and had the entire tile work imported from italy.

Cutting wages would have to be an across the board statewide decision. I know teachers and support staff that either transfer districts or get the union to strike to fight for comparable wages as other districts. BUt then it comes down to how important is education and what should a teacher be paid. I have a huge issue with our education system seeing as so many students struggle or fail yet staff continue to get raises or paid for that matter. We should not base a childs intelligence on how much he/she can remember in between tests/exams. I know extremely intelligent kids that are treated like idiots simply because they have a poor memory. Its so sad to see a kid get treated like this, and before you know it he lets others opinion alter his frame of mind and becomes a shitty person in life. People need certain things especially at a young age, we are not doing them any favors with our current system.

Cutting wages would have to be an across the board statewide decision. I know teachers and support staff that either transfer districts or get the union to strike to fight for comparable wages as other districts. BUt then it comes down to how important is education and what should a teacher be paid. I have a huge issue with our education system seeing as so many students struggle or fail yet staff continue to get raises or paid for that matter. We should not base a childs intelligence on how much he/she can remember in between tests/exams. I know extremely intelligent kids that are treated like idiots simply because they have a poor memory. Its so sad to see a kid get treated like this, and before you know it he lets others opinion alter his frame of mind and becomes a shitty person in life. People need certain things especially at a young age, we are not doing them any favors with our current system.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, pay the good teachers the money they deserve. How do you judge that though? You could have a great teacher who doesn't teach the standardized testing stuff the best. Or you could just have a kid who doesn't test well, which then impacts the teachers pay.

I think teachers as a whole make too much money, and I am sure I will catch some flak for saying it, but that is how I feel about it. I have 5 teachers in my family, and I tell them the same thing. I don't think any teacher should be making 100k, for working half the year.

This among many other reasons is why I will be home schooling/private schooling my kids.

Maybe they could pay their staff more reasonable wages? I am sure there are other areas they could cut, before they cut activities for students.

http://www.buckeyeinstitute.org/teacher-salary

They have elementary school teachers making 80k+

Got an example? An actual name?

Teachers are REQUIRED to get their masters and have continuing education. Drop those requirements and salaries will go down.

My buddy started out 3 years ago making $50k+. The 2 teachers that live across from me just retired both making $90k each.

I think the whole system needs revamped. You could easily put out a much better quality graduate with higher graduation rates if a new system was implemented.

My buddy started out 3 years ago making $50k+. The 2 teachers that live across from me just retired both making $90k each.

I think the whole system needs revamped. You could easily put out a much better quality graduate with higher graduation rates if a new system was implemented.

No teacher starts at over 50k unless they had teaching experience. Got a district, and his education level? Masters plus 30 I am guessing at least.

Maybe they could pay their staff more reasonable wages? I am sure there are other areas they could cut, before they cut activities for students.

http://www.buckeyeinstitute.org/teacher-salary

They have elementary school teachers making 80k+

thanks for the link. Im disgusted at what a lot of my former teachers make a year.

-Marc

We aren't impacted by what happens in Westerville but I hate to see them going back one more time. WTF is with these levi's getting tossed up ever time there's a chance to hit the polls. No is fucking no!

In the end, I do think the entire system needs revamped and until then, I won't ever vote for a levy. I really don't even care what the current salaries are, but bottom line is I feel the systems have plenty of money to go do the job and it's up to them to make it work. I manage a budget at work where 150 people are now employed and I have to make do with what I have. So should they.

My neighbor is a Westerville teacher. She is making nowhere near 80K. Kinda depressing really.

Why is it depressing? She has a salary on par with others? Teachers making more than Law Enforcement Officers, is a crying fucking shame. Someone who works 186 days out of the year, make more than someone risking their life daily.

You can make that if you have 30 years exp and a masters + 30 graduate hours.

That's the problem, the system can't continue to support a program that pays merit increases where merit is simply staying at your current job. This system is what is fucking it up as the retirement packages are dragging them down like rocks.

I'm all for merit but based merit on performance.

Got an example? An actual name?

Teachers are REQUIRED to get their masters and have continuing education. Drop those requirements and salaries will go down.

Carole T. Bartlett

Every Joe shmoe thinks that entry level makes that lol.

My Aunt, has been teaching for 20 years, in Gahanna, doesn't have a Docterate, Masters only, and makes 89,366, which she has topped at for 3 years now. That means if she never gets paid a dime more and teaches 10 more years then we are responsible for paying her 59k dollars per year in pension as well. Which they estimate her lifetime pension from Joe Taxpayer's dollars to be 1.33 million dollars, money she didn't have to put away or save, money just given to her.

That's the problem, the system can't continue to support a program that pays merit increases where merit is simply staying at your current job. This system is what is fucking it up as the retirement packages are dragging them down like rocks.

I'm all for merit but based merit on performance.

How can you truly judge performance for teachers? If a student bombs a test, because they can't test well, it isn't the teachers fault.

Not anywhere near true.

My nieghbor works for worthington kilbourne high school and she's makes great money and isn't by any means old. She's only 39 yrs old and makes the below for 7.25hrs a day. She takes summers off too. That's $127k per year over 12 months.

2011 worthington kilbourne high school $82,698.00

2010 worthington kilbourne high school $77,538.00

2009 worthington kilbourne high school $69,306.00

How can you truly judge performance for teachers? If a student bombs a test, because they can't test well, it isn't the teachers fault.

Why shouldn't you hold the teacher responsible? I have no control over the attitude and performance of my sales team, I have no control over whether my lab workers show up for work every day or binge drink the night before, but I'm still ACCOUNTABLE for both.

It's called responsibility and a job. Deal with it. Ignoring performance is ridiculous. Teachers need to be held accountable. It's their job to instill a child to want to learn when they are in front of them. Absolutely no different than me in my role as a Sales Director. If I can't win over my team to work FOR ME, then I'm doomed and should be fired.

They are teachers and their jobs is to get creative and instill the drive in our kids. We shouldn't be paying them to let kids fail themselves. The role of a leader is to lead not stand around and point fingers. If that's the case, all we're doing is paying them to manage test scores and homework. Have you ever heard of a military leader "managing his troops into battle" ? Fuck no, they LEAD them into battle. We don't need managers making $80-$130k per year, we need leaders making that much.

Pay for performance absolutely works.