Nissan Maxima verus Ford Taurus

greg1647545532

$32,000 versus $25,000, roughly. Used prices are equally different.

My SIL went and looked at the Maxima yesterday. I've never been in one, but I've spent some time with the Taurus and I think it's a fantastic car for the money. Anyone have experience with both who can shed some light on what makes the Maxima worth 7 more thousands of dollars?

The maxima will most likely exceed in total mileage over the taurus by at least 60k, better gas mileage and be less prone to the transmission problems it seems a lot of taurus' get. However, the ford is cheaper now, and will be cheaper when it comes to things like routine maintenance.

If the $7k wasn't an issue I'd go for the maxima. Some one more qualified will probably post something better but the above is how I see it.

Say you make $20/hour

Analyze one hour of work.. the stress thrown onto your desk, boss yelling at you, busting your ass for nothing...

One thousand six hundred of those single long hours will be spent 100% to pay for that boring front wheel drive sedan, and that's not including tax or anything.

That's how I look at purchases anymore. The savings are starting to add up.

Say you make $20/hour

Analyze one hour of work.. the stress thrown onto your desk, boss yelling at you, busting your ass for nothing...

One thousand six hundred of those single long hours will be spent 100% to pay for that boring front wheel drive sedan, and that's not including tax or anything.

That's how I look at purchases anymore. The savings are starting to add up.

yup. Also, Ive been impressed with fords line lately .

Does she have a pulse, if so, Maxima.

I'm not sure. She's pregnant, does that help?

better gas mileage

The EPA numbers for the Ford are better - 20/28 versus 19/26. I know Ford has struggled with gas mileage on some of their engines, but I don't see how the Maxima can get such dismal fuel economy.

Do all Maximas come with the CVT? I hate Nissan's CVTs.

Get a used G37 over both of those cars and get a AWD one or a BMW awd or just about anything thats not a FWD.

^^^^^This. My Aunt has a '10 with the CVT, it's a sweet car and decent for the money, but not really a thrill to drive if you're ever in the mood for some fun driving, plus it feels like a Prius since it doesn't sound like it ever shifts. G37's are what the Maxima should be, RWD or AWD, same engine, better chassis. Much better buy for around the same money, I'd say do that.

I'd go with the Taurus. I absolutely HATE my Altima. The only thing I like is the power of the VQ, but the quality has just been awful on this car. The CVT on the Maxima doesn't bother me though. It's probably the best CVT on the market.

I've heard nothing but bad things about Maxima's and Altima's. As a matter of fact I dated a girl for 6 years and her maxima was nothing but problems. They had the computer replaced twice, exhaust replaced countless times, and the rear-end was replaced all within 5 years of being purchased, but I digress.

I drove a newer Maxima as a demo for about a week. I LOVE the car. If you're driving in sport mode, the transmission "shifts" in a normal fashion and doesn't feel that wonky to me even when not driving in sport mode. I've not driven the Taurus but I've always liked big full size, front-wheel drive sedans due to the amount of highway driving I've always done and can honestly say that I would buy it over almost any other car in its class.